One for the old guys, video feed lost when motors start

Reaction score
Im sure one of the older members such as @dirkclod etc can answer this, Ive got a P2Vplus that has a working video feed until you start the motors, i've swapped out the Wifi Module and Extender but still the same, I'm pretty sure this was an interference issue but can't find any threads on it.

Reactions: dirkclod
Im sure one of the older members such as @dirkclod etc can answer this, Ive got a P2Vplus that has a working video feed until you start the motors, i've swapped out the Wifi Module and Extender but still the same, I'm pretty sure this was an interference issue but can't find any threads on it.
Was awhile back but don’t seem that long. I had P2V’s not plus’s.
They didnt have the same module that the + have. To be honest it’s been so much water pass under the bridge I can not remember ever seeing
any threads on that issue. Lots where having issues with that module
overheating and they started drilling holes in the cover, using that paste like what’s between a cpu and heatsink. There at the end the
ones (P2V’s) lost feed all the time from a update and don’t think that
was ever fixed other than finding a FC200 without the burnt board in the camera and staying away from that last update. . Now why yours would cut out when you start the motors
is beyond me but will look and it is still in here if it was ever posted about but all that is so far back ..well you know.
I will try and find something on it but that’s a very odd issue.
If JDot was still here he could figure it out as he was the best troubleshooter I knew and he ended up moving to the +.Give me a little time and will see what I can dig up.

Bit of a long shot but I would hunt around for burnt track, poor joints etc. Seems to me it has lost the ground somewhere and camera is back feeding to ground via ESC. Of course when Motor’s are powered up you will loose the ground potential and video feed. Try find the grounds from camera to WiFi module etc and check for continuity as well as any burnt track.

Reactions: Capt KO and BigL
Bit of a long shot but I would hunt around for burnt track, poor joints etc.

I wouldn't call it a long shot at all. The diagnosis is correct, though it might be hard to figure out where exactly that track/joint is.

The issue can be triggered by motors in two ways:
1. interference on the power line (by either too high resistance on a power path, or by lack of filtering capacitors and power fluctuations caused by motors)
2. by a cold joint/broken track, which normally works well enough, but with vibrations from motors it starts loosing conductivity

For trying to fix that - I'd first try powering the Wifi module from another source. If the issue disappears - yeah, that's power interference. If not - that's either vibrations on wifi module, or issue with the camera and not with wifi module.

I wouldn't call it a long shot at all. The diagnosis is correct, though it might be hard to figure out where exactly that track/joint is.

The issue can be triggered by motors in two ways:
1. interference on the power line (by either too high resistance on a power path, or by lack of filtering capacitors and power fluctuations caused by motors)
2. by a cold joint/broken track, which normally works well enough, but with vibrations from motors it starts loosing conductivity

For trying to fix that - I'd first try powering the Wifi module from another source. If the issue disappears - yeah, that's power interference. If not - that's either vibrations on wifi module, or issue with the camera and not with wifi module.

Hi

I figured being the new kid on the block I’d not just dive in all presumptuous but I do have a fairly extensive electrica/electronics background and I have come across similar faults in automotive applications where vibration etc can cause similar issues. It’s certainly the first place I would be starting but as I’ve only just bought my first full size drone, which incidentally is a P2V+ also then I am not so familiar with the board layout, power distribution and so on. I acquired a second P2 along with the one I’m currently using which is rather dead with what is 2 failed motors, 4 dead ESC’s and a potentially crooked gimbal. Must have come down pretty hard in a tree or similar I guess as no physical damage apart from a scratch on the camera so this will be my spares bin/familiarisation unit.
Anyhow, hope the video feed issue gets resolved. May take some digging as could even be a very hard to spot joint with one of the surface mount components.

Reactions: quaddamage
@quaddamage @dirkclod @Flying Busman

Turned out that when he removed the SD card it all worked !!
absolutely no idea why that would cause the issue.
Thanks for the replies guys, it’s one of the reasons I like PPF

@quaddamage @dirkclod @Flying Busman

Turned out that when he removed the SD card it all worked !!
absolutely no idea why that would cause the issue.
Thanks for the replies guys, it’s one of the reasons I like PPF
Geez, you couldn’t make it up could you. Perhaps one of the many dodgy fake SD cards that are proliferating the market. I’ve had my share of grief with them so only buy memory cards from reputable high street outlets. Not the cheapest option but better than loosing valuable time and footage. Some of the fake memory cards are so bad I would not be the least surprised at one ‘shorting’ circuitry or causing bizarre issues. Pleased that the solution has come to light but would be very interested to know if reinserting the card caused the fault to reappear?

Reactions: crash1sttime
Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic