On P4P, my still camera will not take pictures while recording video.

Reaction score
This just started yesterday after I switched from JPEG+RAW, to RAW only. I've tried switching back to JPEG+
RAW, and still, no pictures can be taken in video mode. Does anybody know what would cause this? Thank you in advance.

I've only had this work in the JPEG only setting. I haven't used this in a while as the photo resolution is so low it wasn't worth bothering for me.

Reactions: Ripper7620
I've only had this work in the JPEG only setting. I haven't used this in a while as the photo resolution is so low it wasn't worth bothering for me.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it, and would like to verify if the camera only shoots video and stills at the same time in JPEG. Video is the most important to me, so it takes presidence, but I would really like not have to stop recording to take RAW stills. I may have to make some stills only flights if this is the case, because I only use RAW stills.

Yes, if you choose the option to shoot stills and video at the same time, you will only get a jpg. I have both tested this and asked DJI.

I only shoot raw for stills and on my first few flights, I tried to shoot some stills and video at the same time, and noted that these all were captured as jpgs. I double checked to make sure the Drone or software had not changed my settings, no I was still on raw.

Made a support question to DJI and it was confirmed that if you want stills and video at the same time, the stills are only offered as jpgs.

Easy decision for me, no more video and stills at the same time. Raw is much better than the jpgs captured during video.

Paul Caldwell

Yes, if you choose the option to shoot stills and video at the same time, you will only get a jpg. I have both tested this and asked DJI.

I only shoot raw for stills and on my first few flights, I tried to shoot some stills and video at the same time, and noted that these all were captured as jpgs. I double checked to make sure the Drone or software had not changed my settings, no I was still on raw.

Made a support question to DJI and it was confirmed that if you want stills and video at the same time, the stills are only offered as jpgs.

Easy decision for me, no more video and stills at the same time. Raw is much better than the jpgs captured during video.

Paul Caldwell
Thank you, and agreed, RAW is the only way to go if you have the correct software, just shot 32Gb of RAW instead of all video like usual. I need to learn to work on my stills.

Lightroom or ACR does a good job on them as they have profiles for the light fall off and distortion. I use the Inspire 1 profile not the DJI P4 profile as I feel the distortion correction is better.

The Lightroom HDR feature does nice blends of the AEB shots and so far has done pretty good on panos. But many times I will export from LR to Adobe CS and use one of the pano tools there instead as the boundary warp in LR can create a bit too much softness.

Capture One has better noise recovery, however it doesn’t have any color profiles or lens profiles so you will see some lens cast issues mainly light fall off that Adobe is correcting. Can be fixed with a LCC in C1.

Paul Caldwell

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it, and would like to verify if the camera only shoots video and stills at the same time in JPEG. Video is the most important to me, so it takes presidence, but I would really like not have to stop recording to take RAW stills. I may have to make some stills only flights if this is the case, because I only use RAW stills.
Correct JPEG only, but it is basically just a frame grab of the video, the quality isn't nearly as good. I always stop recording, switch to camera mode then take my photo.

This just started yesterday after I switched from JPEG+RAW, to RAW only. I've tried switching back to JPEG+
RAW, and still, no pictures can be taken in video mode. Does anybody know what would cause this? Thank you in advance.
It's taking them but they are J-pegs like the others have posted here Ripper. And the quality is very low. Only a frame from the video clip. Maybe 10-12mp at best.

Are you talking about not getting any pics now? I think you have to take the pic with the actual shutter button during video, as opposed to doing it in the software. Might be an old bug they worked out along the way but I'm some firmware revs back and still notice this bug.

Are you talking about not getting any pics now? I think you have to take the pic with the actual shutter button during video, as opposed to doing it in the software. Might be an old bug they worked out along the way but I'm some firmware revs back and still notice this bug.
Yes, apperently you have to stop recording to take images in RAW.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Yes, apperently you have to stop recording to take images in RAW.
Thats the way it's always been in my experience. I rarely ever do it unless it's something thats gonna happen and I don't have time to stop video and hit record. LOL

Thats the way it's always been in my experience. I rarely ever do it unless it's something thats gonna happen and I don't have time to stop video and hit record. LOL
I've decided to either dedicate flights to video, or RAW, instead of switching between the two and losing continuity.

I've decided to either dedicate flights to video, or RAW, instead of switching between the two and losing continuity.
Really depends on what your shooting. Usually you have time to do several cool video passes. And then stop and get your stills. At night, I have to change every single setting except for frame rate. I wish they had a setting in app that was one click to change all your settings to a preset value. It would make it so much quicker to change especially at night.

Really depends on what your shooting. Usually you have time to do several cool video passes. And then stop and get your stills. At night, I have to change every single setting except for frame rate. I wish they had a setting in app that was one click to change all your settings to a preset value. It would make it so much quicker to change especially at night.
Don't they? Are you sure you can't save presets?

Don't they? Are you sure you can't save presets?
There is a camera preset area shockwave. But this is just for your contrast, saturation and sharpness settings Im pretty sure. Maybe picture style too. But i'm talking about quickly changing your ISO, and your aperture very quickly with one press. My shutter stays the same unless its pretty windy and then I might speed it up some for my stills. But it stays on 50th of a second for video. But still to be able to change ISO and aperture with one click would be awesome for me at night.

There is a camera preset area shockwave. But this is just for your contrast, saturation and sharpness settings Im pretty sure. Maybe picture style too. But i'm talking about quickly changing your ISO, and your aperture very quickly with one press. My shutter stays the same unless its pretty windy and then I might speed it up some for my stills. But it stays on 50th of a second for video. But still to be able to change ISO and aperture with one click would be awesome for me at night.
Right. And I agree, saving exposure settings would be killer good.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers