OMG! My heart can't take this.

Folks, my son and I have not had any issues flying over my property. We take off low and fly high over the trees. Most spots where we take off, RTH WILL work, as there are no branches directly overhead. I prefer flying on a field, but frankly, there are usually people and kids in the fields and I don't want to be hassled. So flying over my house is fine. If we ever have a problem, RTH will bring it back at the initial height (over 60 feet and over all of the trees) and then we can manually land it. I never take off without having all batteries full and checked.

I have no problem flying the Phantom. I was merely warning all not to be "nice" and let friends or family fly it without being fully educated ( AND if you DO let them, ONLY let them fly it in an open field!)

I agree Jeff. As far as Skip's comments, if he wants to be a namby pants open field flier and worry about his toy all the time, his vids will be pretty darn boring. Nothing wrong with caution, but as my mother always said: Ships are safe in the harbor, but they were meant to sail."

I had my P2V+ go into RTH once immediately upon initializing the motors, It shot straight up to 60' and hovered. That would have been catastrophic had there been any obstruction overhead. [Especially after that incident] I ensure that there is nothing directly above the craft when I initialize it (tree branches, power lines, people, etc) and I make sure that I am a relatively safe distance from it as well.

DrJoe said:
I agree Jeff. As far as Skip's comments, if he wants to be a namby pants open field flier and worry about his toy all the time, his vids will be pretty darn boring. Nothing wrong with caution, but as my mother always said: Ships are safe in the harbor, but they were meant to sail."

Amen brother ;) :D

skyhighdiver said:
DrJoe said:

Amen brother ;) :D
My intent is to fly more than once. Altho the occasional $1400 crash and burn video is awesome.
I prefer to follow some basic instruction to preVent any needless crash or harm to others property.
Careless piloting caused by lack of knowledge is the #1 reason UAV's will be grounded by legislation.
You can't control a fly away! If it harms someone you are responsible!

Learn what you are doing and practice some common sense. is it that hard????

I read a post on this forum where one user said he would not put his name or number on his phantom in case it caused damage.
That's the mindset many have and it is wrong! Grow up and be responsible, it's not that hard. Or is it??

Look at the rash of crashes and damage that has happened since the release of the Vplus.
99% are from wreckless piloting and can be prevented.

People act like children on chocolate and coke at ChuckeeCheeses.
Grow up take your time and learn what you are doing before you hurt someone.
it's not all about you, we all lose eVerytime someone damages someone else's property or maimes someones child from YOUR stupidity!

Hovtech said:
Skipholiday said:
JeffB said:
Regarding how tough the p2v+ is....

I have had my p2v+ for almost a month. Bought it for me & my 15 year old son's birthday. My yard has tall trees all over it and woods across the street. There are only a few spots where we can take off and get a GPS Home position locked. We have to start low and then move to a clearing to get over all of the trees.
You will not have a Phantom very long. Did you not read in the manual fly in and open field? If you are too lazy to travel to a safe place, you are asking for trouble. If your Phantom ever has to RTH it will crash trying to fit into the tight place. I hope your post is a joke. If not 'you should not be piloting any UAV imho'.. Read page 37 of your manual.. "2. Fly in open fields as high buildings or steel structures may affect the accuracy of onboard compass"
this type behavior is happening all the time then the user whines and cries that DJI made a faulty product after they crash or the phantom vanishes.

Jeff,
I think he is writing this for your own good, not to be demeaning
Thank you Hovtech. You are 100% correct. Every crash, every flyaway, every time someone gets injured by a UAV it harms the entire hobby and is a direct reflection of all pilots not just the one person.

Michigan_PI said:
I had my P2V+ go into RTH once immediately upon initializing the motors, It shot straight up to 60' and hovered. ..(snip)
Wow. This is scary. I assumed that just starting the motors at their initial slow speed was harmless and that any auto flight control couldn't/wouldn't happen until you take off. Obviously a bad assumption! There must have been a reason for this. Did you happen to move the S1/S2 switches during the motor startup? What positions were/are the S1/S2 switches in? Any recent setup changes? Any ideas or clues?

TeeJayN said:
Michigan_PI said:
I had my P2V+ go into RTH once immediately upon initializing the motors, It shot straight up to 60' and hovered. ..(snip)
Wow. This is scary. I assumed that just starting the motors at their initial slow speed was harmless and that any auto flight control couldn't/wouldn't happen until you take off. Obviously a bad assumption! There must have been a reason for this. Did you happen to move the S1/S2 switches during the motor startup? What positions were/are the S1/S2 switches in? Any recent setup changes? Any ideas or clues?
After mine flew away, haven't figured out why yet but have some thoughts about it. I haven't flown it since, did a lot of calibration, re-installed software/firmware and have noticed something I believe to be different on the display of the connected tablet but memory of how it was vs how it is is blurred. I have started the motors after the crash, without props, and checked the operation/response to movement of the sticks, I can hear the response of the motors by the sound of increased speed in all movement of either stick and that seems to work fine, how that ties in with all the gps actions will not be known until I actually fly it. The radar display is what confuses me at this time and how it might affect the movement of the craft based on what the radar reports on orientation of the unit. Big open field is the next place for actual test.

PCB said:
TeeJayN said:
Michigan_PI said:
After mine flew away, haven't figured out why yet but have some thoughts about it. I haven't flown it since, did a lot of calibration, re-installed software/firmware and have noticed something I believe to be different on the display of the connected tablet but memory of how it was vs how it is is blurred. I have started the motors after the crash, without props, and checked the operation/response to movement of the sticks, I can hear the response of the motors by the sound of increased speed in all movement of either stick and that seems to work fine, how that ties in with all the gps actions will not be known until I actually fly it. The radar display is what confuses me at this time and how it might affect the movement of the craft based on what the radar reports on orientation of the unit. Big open field is the next place for actual test.

Good luck, hope she flies true

PCB said:
TeeJayN said:
Michigan_PI said:
Try and find a field with long grass on it i know it might take a bit longer to find it if it does crash but least the long grass will save it from too much damage!

Try and find a field with long grass on it i know it might take a bit longer to find it if it does crash but least the long grass will save it from too much damage![/quote]

I'm not concerned with it falling, it took off mostly on it's own and luckily there was a tall tree that caught it at 74 feet displayed on the tablet.
What ever I did wrong that caused it to fly off is what I'm looking for. It flew well and was very stable the times I took it up before half a dozen times, I have video taken from 700 feet that people watching ask if I turned it off,15 to 20 seconds only movement that can be seen are the cars driving on the streets.
http://1drv.ms/T52QVo

DrJoe said:

There are many paths...

PhantomCity_zps821a92c0.jpg

I like reading these threads only because I have been in this situation so I can relate. The 1st thing you should do is realize how close you were to possibly never seeing your copter again. Next, you should be all over purchasing a gps tracker.

I'm so glad you got it back! I'm curious what the "Find My Phantom ect" show while you were searching for it. The reason I ask is, it had to show it was at home because it took the gps signal to get it there. But then if your phone or tablet, wwhich ever you use, wasn't getting a wifi signal your device would not update that info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers