Old bird new again

Reaction score
Its been a while since I was on. Good to see posts from some of the older active PP members. I figured I give an update:

So I went to take my P2V+ v2 for a flight last week, after about a 6 weeks hiatus. I notice my Flytrex GPS wire was pulled out of the connector, so I removed the Flytrex for the time being until a new harness could be delivered. This required opening up the Phantom to get the old wiring harness off. Wouldn't you know it, the new harness was the only problem. In trying to remove the GPS wire from the flytrex unit, I must have used a little too much force and I separated the JST connector from the circuit board, which was confirmed when I opened it up. The good people at flytex gave me an RMA, its off to Isreal. Ugh.

Next, I went to charge the Range Extender, but it seemed difficult to get it to charge when I put the USB cable in. A few screw turns later and...Surprise... the USB connector pulled off the circuit board. THIS WAS GETTING RIDICULOUS! Since I do not yet own a pre-heating micro hot air soldering table, I had to purchase a new RE700.

Today, the new range extender arrived. After some re-binding, all seemed to work perfectly. Being that I had the Phantom on the bench, I decided to perform an advanced IMU calibration, which went off without a hitch.

This afternoon, I finally got the bird back into the air, but I failed to perform a compass calibration. Whoops. The phantom flew somewhat erratically and I had some tense moments up in the air. In addition, the GPS readout jumped from 8 to 4 and everything in between, and the Phantom was popping in and out between ATTI and GPS mode. With a stiff 15 kt wind at 200 feet, it was pretty hairy trying to get her down safe, but I did.

I reopened the Phantom and lo and behold, the GPS connection cable was half in. Well, at least nothing ws pulled off the circuit board this time! I placed a piece of tape on it and snuggly reattached it to the connector. Back outside for another flight on my second battery. Following a compass calibration, all seemed to be right with the world as the Phantom easily provided some great aerials out to about 2500 feet (I have a stage 2 FPVLR setup). On the way back (about 6 minutes into the flight) I got a "Bad Cell" battery error, followed by a low battery alarm. Uggh. The Phantom was auto descending, but I managed to maintain altitude with some left stick up and get her home. Chalk up another Phantom battery, now down to one.

So in the last few days, I have had to spend $125 on a new RE700, and now I have to plunk down another $99 on a battery. I can only hope Flytrex replaces thier unit at cost or for free. Double ugh.

MyP2V+ has been excellent since I received it in April 2014. A few mods and add-ons, and the darn thing does whatever I need it to. I have had some P3 envy, but the last few days have really brought me to the brink of testing my marriage and making $1300 disappear from my bank account (+battery +case +warranty +new ipad). I can't see not getting another battery, because the P2V+ is as good as new. But maybe I'll put that toward a new P3.

After 14 months, the P2V+ has been superseded by the Inspire, the P3, and now the Matrice 100, not to mention some heavy competition coming on line from other companies. I'm in the queue over at the FAA for a Section 333 exemption, so if that comes through I might just have to put the old girl on the shelf.

Good ta see ya back Doc :D
Never put it back on the self bro ...That's like putting ya dog out cause you get a new puppy ;)

I want a P3 and plan on getting one as soon as Meta and Ian get it all sorted out but ya can bet I will keep flying my first love ! ;)

Reactions: DrJoe and mad in nc
It is a known fact... " Flying is never Cheap " Hmmm that's what my wife said when she called United Airlines.... That's what I said when I went to the Phantom store..

Reactions: DrJoe and dirkclod
Good ta see ya back Doc :D
Never put it back on the self bro ...That's like putting ya dog out cause you get a new puppy ;)

I want a P3 and plan on getting one as soon as Meta and Ian get it all sorted out but ya can bet I will keep flying my first love ! ;)

I'm right there with ya..... seems like the atypical DJI software upgrade issues are showing up again but this time on the P3 line. Maybe by August all will be good. Till then, all is good on what I have fun with now.

Reactions: DrJoe and dirkclod
It is a known fact... " Flying is never Cheap " Hmmm that's what my wife said when she called United Airlines.... That's what I said when I went to the Phantom store..
never Cheap
Hell Roy ..that applies to being married :eek:
Is good ta see the Dr again but I had just thought he had got tied up in surgery :D

Reactions: DrJoe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik