Nvidia Shield K1 tablet with P3P/A

Reaction score
In April of 2015, I purchased a P3Pro and Nvidia Shield K1 tablet. This combo worked great over this time frame until I recently crashed the machine due to nothing but pure and simple pilot error! No, I will not go into that..
In an attempt to sooth the wound slightly, I purchased a refurbished P3advanced from the DJI store. Using the same tablet, I commenced flying again only to find that the latency on the video was so bad that it really was unusable.. By this I mean the video on the tablet screen. The aircraft control was fine but the video would drop out completely at around 1200 feet away and may or may not come back as I returned to home. Needless to say, the recorded video was perfect. So I consulted with the DJI support and was told to relink the system???? No help..So then I linked the new aircraft with my old P3Pro RC and tried it but with the same results. I even tried to fly the unit with my Motorola Droid Turbo phone but got the same results with the downlink video. Again consulted with support via email and this time I was told that neither the Nvidia Shield nor the Droid phone were approved devices for the P3 machines???? And there was nothing I do could expect buy a different tablet. I specifically recall inquiring about the Nvidia shield back when I bought the P3Pro and was told that it would work fine. It never failed to perform with my P3Pro. I have searched the DJI site for a list of "approved" devices but so far have not been able to find that data.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some obscure setting I may have missed? The issue seems to point to one of two devices, the aircraft or the tablet. But this tablet seems to have a history. Also all apps and firmware is up to date.
I would appreciate any advise or any good reports with this tablet.

I can only return this thing for store credit but why would I buy another DJI P3 device?? I am sort of between a rock and a hard place as I own five batteries!!!

Enough crying but I would like to hear about Nvidia Shield experience...Good or bad.

Kent

In April of 2015, I purchased a P3Pro and Nvidia Shield K1 tablet. This combo worked great over this time frame until I recently crashed the machine due to nothing but pure and simple pilot error! No, I will not go into that..
In an attempt to sooth the wound slightly, I purchased a refurbished P3advanced from the DJI store. Using the same tablet, I commenced flying again only to find that the latency on the video was so bad that it really was unusable.. By this I mean the video on the tablet screen. The aircraft control was fine but the video would drop out completely at around 1200 feet away and may or may not come back as I returned to home. Needless to say, the recorded video was perfect. So I consulted with the DJI support and was told to relink the system???? No help..So then I linked the new aircraft with my old P3Pro RC and tried it but with the same results. I even tried to fly the unit with my Motorola Droid Turbo phone but got the same results with the downlink video. Again consulted with support via email and this time I was told that neither the Nvidia Shield nor the Droid phone were approved devices for the P3 machines???? And there was nothing I do could expect buy a different tablet. I specifically recall inquiring about the Nvidia shield back when I bought the P3Pro and was told that it would work fine. It never failed to perform with my P3Pro. I have searched the DJI site for a list of "approved" devices but so far have not been able to find that data.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some obscure setting I may have missed? The issue seems to point to one of two devices, the aircraft or the tablet. But this tablet seems to have a history. Also all apps and firmware is up to date.

I can only return this thing for store credit but why would I buy another DJI P3 device?? I am sort of between a rock and a hard place as I own five batteries!!!

Enough crying but I would like to hear about Nvidia Shield experience...Good or bad.

Kent
The Shield is one of the most recommended devices. Its rare to ever hear anyone say they had a problem with one.

Also, look here for a list if devices that work.

Reactions: JoBe
Thanks for the reply. But the problem with that list is that the K1 is not recommended by DJI. While I and many others agree with PhantomHelp, DJI support has the "out" to tell me where to put it.

The only common element in all your testing failures is the P3A.
You've tried a different controller, and a difference screen device, with the same results.
You might want to try it with an iPad or something else on the approved list, before taking it back with all the evidence.

Thanks for the reply. But the problem with that list is that the K1 is not recommended by DJI. While I and many others agree with PhantomHelp, DJI support has the "out" to tell me where to put it.
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood. Didn't you specifically ask for our Shield experiences, good or bad?

Reactions: JoBe
I have a K1 Shield and have flown extensively (probably close to 300 miles) with 4 different P3 drones. Never had any issue and never any latency problem. I think there is a setting for caching in the DJI go app. But mine works fine as well as one of my best friends who has the exact setup. You will find there are 100s of K1 Shield users.

I just got off the phone with DJI support and they are telling me that the latest GO app may have changed something to cause the video issue with the Shield. So before I do anything else, I am going to see if I can find a neighborhood kid with an ipad, take it away from them and see if it works with my P3A.
DJI website says the current go app is v3.0.0 for android and v3.0.1 for ios. Maybe I should try to locate the prior version. Is there a place to find older versions of apps? That would put that to rest if I could find it.

I had an iPad mini 2, but switched to a K1 and it has been great. I also fitted a screen guard to reduce reflection and a fantastic plastic 3D printed sunshield that just slips on.
I much prefer it to the iPad mini now that I'm used to it. It's advantages are:
- Uses Android, which is much easier if you need to access files for uploading or analysis, no Itunes.
- It has an automatic screen record function
- It has an HDMI output
- It was built for gaming so has a fast chipset
- It's screen is a nicer size than the iPad mini
- It costs a lot less than an iPad mini and utilises newer technology
- It has an onboard GPS enabling you to use all functions available in the P4 apps, such as changing the Home Point dynamically
- It just feels better in the controller, perhaps it balances better because it's lighter, not sure.

I just got off the phone with DJI support and they are telling me that the latest GO app may have changed something to cause the video issue with the Shield. So before I do anything else, I am going to see if I can find a neighborhood kid with an ipad, take it away from them and see if it works with my P3A.
DJI website says the current go app is v3.0.0 for android and v3.0.1 for ios. Maybe I should try to locate the prior version. Is there a place to find older versions of apps? That would put that to rest if I could find it.
The current Android version is 3.0.1, updated 25th Oct.

Boy, even DJI says the current one is 3.0.0 but I see mine is 3.0.1 like yours.
GeoffJ . My list would be the same as yours. I really like the screen recording feature. I also have the 3d printed hood and I really like that unit. I probably have four others in the scrap pile that don't work or are just too heavy.
I located a site with the previous GOapp versions, so I am going to try a couple of earlier ones and see if that helps or makes any difference. If I could just see a difference, I would have some leverage. But I can understand DJI's point of view as well.

Thanks for the ideas. I have the 360 installed and I have cleared the cache. Will try it out as soon as civil twilight occurs!!!!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks again for all the info on this post. Here is the latest on the issue. I flew this morning and possibly gained a little ground for my cause regarding the K1 Tablet. I made sure the video cache was cleared and even turned off. Then I connected an external hdmi monitor to the RC. What a surprise to see that the picture on the hdmi screen was just as fouled as the scene on the tablet. Now in my mind that says to me that the tablet should have no effect what so ever on the video. Now if I had connected the hdmi monitor to the K1 tablet, that would not be the same thing. But bypassing the tablet altogether seems to take the tablet out of the equation. I fully intend to make DJI aware of this. In all fairness, to DJI, they have agreed to take it back but just issue store credit which is fine for me. But the big thing in my mind now is that I feel completely comfortable with the K1 tablet and another DJI drone.
Happy flying
Kent

I have the K1 Shield and have flown extensively with P2 and P3 and no lag. Best tablet they is. Try another P3 and see if it do the same thing. If it do then restore you tablet and reinstall the GO app. and try again.

The machine is on it's way back. DJI sent a shipping label and will give me store credit.
I appreciate all the interest and ideas. I am still convinced the Shield K1 is tablet for me.

Happy flying

Kent

I suspect it the the phantom vs the tablet.
I say that since you tried more than I tablet/device with same results

What is different NOW from you first experiences?
The p3advanced!

The device only PLAYS the video stream that is transmitted to it via the RC and Phantom
if the stream is poor or not there the device is not at fault as it cant play what doesn't exist.

Range is a function of the rc and phantom.
try a set of the windsurfer antenna boosters.
20 bucks and work great.

also FWIW
I updated to 3.01 on mine
and reset the RC fw to 1.6 from the newest
and my Shield is back to perfect video streaming as it was prior to 1.8 update last week.

good luck and have fun flying!

Thanks for the comments. My shield K1 worked so well with my Pro that I was sure that was not the problem. Of course, DJI tech support is trained to jump on the first easy out they can find. But I was able to get by that and it is on the way back to them. The one thing that I did not try was to revert the controller back to the previous version. That could have helped immensely but hindsight is great as always. I intend to replace it with another Advanced so we will see. That was my first experience with the refurb unit. I usually have good luck refurb units but now I am not sure if I want to try it again. If they come back and tell me that there was nothing wrong with that unit, the first assumption would have to be the RC. Both RC units that I used had v1.8.0 , so they could have both been causing the issue. I will have to search for the older version and keep it in one of the RC just in case the next one does the same thing.
As for the Windsurfers, I have a pair that I used on the Pro and I really didn't see much difference.. In this instance, control range was not the issue. If I flew using the map display, I could fly successfully way outside the video range. But I don't like to do that..
So now I wait for DJI to accept the return and then ship another one.
Happy flying

Thanks for the comments. My shield K1 worked so well with my Pro that I was sure that was not the problem. Of course, DJI tech support is trained to jump on the first easy out they can find. But I was able to get by that and it is on the way back to them. The one thing that I did not try was to revert the controller back to the previous version. That could have helped immensely but hindsight is great as always. I intend to replace it with another Advanced so we will see. That was my first experience with the refurb unit. I usually have good luck refurb units but now I am not sure if I want to try it again. If they come back and tell me that there was nothing wrong with that unit, the first assumption would have to be the RC. Both RC units that I used had v1.8.0 , so they could have both been causing the issue. I will have to search for the older version and keep it in one of the RC just in case the next one does the same thing.
As for the Windsurfers, I have a pair that I used on the Pro and I really didn't see much difference.. In this instance, control range was not the issue. If I flew using the map display, I could fly successfully way outside the video range. But I don't like to do that..
So now I wait for DJI to accept the return and then ship another one.
Happy flying

don't fear the refurbed
all 6 of my phantoms over 2 years are refurbed and perfectly fine

never owned a new one in fact.

I do bet it was the rc fw as 1.8 was a bad one for me at least.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the refurbs. How and where did you find the older version of the RC FW/ ? And do you just do the RC with out doing everything else???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic