NVIDIA SHIELD K 1

That is wierd. K1 is updated to latest FW versions?
Yes, the first thing it did was to upgrade.

I am noticing that if I use the 360 program and kill all apps before I run DJI GO, it is better.

But I think the main reason the iphone works better is because I have the option to enable Hardware Decoding. There is no such option for android though.

MY other issue is the reflection outside! I have customized the display for max brightness, color adjustments, but the screen is not suited for sunny bright days!

Also, what do Shield users do to improve the compass accuracy? I can not locate the compass calibration area? My blue circle in DJI Go is moving all around and it's off by many degrees.

This one works fine for me and I really like the calibration: Compass - Android Apps on Google Play

Could it be the pixel bands are because you're aiming the craft towards the sun?

I get the same thing a lot, with my K1, seems like the video signal breaks up a lot. Mostly all of what I do is straight up, and I've tried aligning my antennas on my RC in every-which-way, but it still happens. I have an iPhone 6 Plus, and it happens with that too, but not as often as with the K1. And yea, the screen is VERY hard to see in daylight, even when it's not facing the sun.

What's all this about the K1 compass?
Firstly,
The compass involved in flying a Phantom is in the Phantom itself.
Secondly,
Phones and tablets do have compasses, and they get used in things like geocaching or navigating to a point, but they wouldn't be used in flying a drone. Most of the iPad mini's don't even have a GPS, let alone a compass.
Thirdly,
If you want to use the compass in a phone or tablet it has to be calibrated. There is a procedure to do this which involves rotating the device around each axis.
Fourthly,
The better devices have electronic and magnetic compasses, although I'm pretty sure neither of these come into play with controller devices which determine direction using the GPS coordinates sent back by the drone relative to the displayed map.
SO,
I believe all this stuff about nVidia compass issues is twaddle, but stand to be corrected if anyone has any solid facts.

Ummmm, have you used the GO app or Litchi? The compass is used in the app for orientation. The little radar in the left corner that shows the orientation of the craft in relation to the tablet. The K1 has issues with showing incorrect positioning. I have a K1 with the latest update and I still have this issue in Go and Litchi. The compass on the K1 is way off. It will show the craft to the left and rear of me, when it is directly in front of me. I have tried to calibrate it, but it does not help. It is very useful when the craft is a good distance away.

What's all this about the K1 compass?
Firstly,
The compass involved in flying a Phantom is in the Phantom itself.
Secondly,
Phones and tablets do have compasses, and they get used in things like geocaching or navigating to a point, but they wouldn't be used in flying a drone. Most of the iPad mini's don't even have a GPS, let alone a compass.
Thirdly,
If you want to use the compass in a phone or tablet it has to be calibrated. There is a procedure to do this which involves rotating the device around each axis.
Fourthly,
The better devices have electronic and magnetic compasses, although I'm pretty sure neither of these come into play with controller devices which determine direction using the GPS coordinates sent back by the drone relative to the displayed map.
SO,
I believe all this stuff about nVidia compass issues is twaddle, but stand to be corrected if anyone has any solid facts.

Ummmm, have you used the GO app or Litchi? The compass is used in the app for orientation. The little radar in the left corner that shows the orientation of the craft in relation to the tablet. The K1 has issues with showing incorrect positioning. I have a K1 with the latest update and I still have this issue in Go and Litchi. The compass on the K1 is way off. It will show the craft to the left and rear of me, when it is directly in front of me. I have tried to calibrate it, but it does not help. It is very useful when the craft is a good distance away.
Ah yes, my apologies, can't say I've ever relied on that but I can see that the tablet orientation figures into that. For something like that it would need the electronic compass if you were standing still, not a magnetic compass so calibrating it would be the issue. I've never used it myself. I also use the video or the map to get oriented.
I'll look into it. I'm pretty sure the iPad mini I had wouldn't have had a compass and that was my first device, so I guess I learned not to be reliant on the radar.

Well I just tested the K1 compass using the Field Compass app to display the compass reading, and my GPS and it was spot on. If there were any issues previously, then hopefully they've been addressed by the look of it.

I did find the compass very sensitive however, and I had to move it away from the GPS. It's possible the controller might affect it. It did pop up a message when it sensed interference while I was inside near my router.
compass.jpg

Reactions: HWCM
Yes - the K1's compass will works fine provided you give it a fresh calibration after powering it up. But that's pretty inconvenient with all the other stuff you have to do prior to flight. So I don't bother anymore. I don't need it anyway with my flying.

I'm selling one.... Can't ship to the UK though... ;)

I liked it a lot, but I'm getting an iPad Mini 4. And since my whole environment is iOS, and the Shield was my only Android device, it makes sense, for me, to stick with iOS. For my type of flying I've never had an issue with the compass.

I have the original nvidia Shield tablet that I got at the same time as my P3P back in June of 2015. After a few months of having it, they had a recall because of battery issues. I hated trading it in because it worked flawlessly. I have had the replacement for more then a year and it has worked absolutely great! Never a problem of any kind.

Well I just tested the K1 compass using the Field Compass app to display the compass reading, and my GPS and it was spot on. If there were any issues previously, then hopefully they've been addressed by the look of it.

I did find the compass very sensitive however, and I had to move it away from the GPS. It's possible the controller might affect it. It did pop up a message when it sensed interference while I was inside near my router.
compass.jpg

Do I need to download any app to use the compass on my shield?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

To expound on that - K1 users have found that the compass in whatever Phantom app they're using is often not working correctly - apparently because of the magnets that have been installed at the top edge of the K1. So what you'd want to do is calibrate the compass in the K1. And to do that, you'd need a compass app - one that calibrates its compass. And then, the compass in the flight app will work correctly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic