Normal takeoff?

Update...I was able to talk to the folks at DJI in LA Tuesday and today. They gave me some ideas to try on the IMU initialization error problems I'm having. This involves taking the Naza module out of the copter and banging it on a hard surface. Yes, this isn't a typo-that's what they told me to do. Something about the compass getting screwed up after a crash (and yes I admit I've had some very rough landings) and this might jar it loose to the point it starts to work properly again.

I'll give this a try and report to the group what happens.

Cheers

Fred in Houston

Peter Patricelli said:
"I did notice it took several minutes to get a "long" green, followed by 5 more greens (in rapid succession). I presume that's the number of birds the GPS is seening."

In order of CRITICAL IMPORTANCE.....dirtectly after "understanding what the controller sticks control and do"....comes "understanding what the rear LED FLASHING LIGHTS INDICATE!!!!!!!!! The bird is talking to you and telling you critical information as to it's internal status and appropriateness for flying, and/or what some of the settings your controller is in that might, or might not, be what you WANT! Your controller might have a switch accidentally flipped that puts you in a flight mode way over your head. It may also be saying..." DON"T take off because something is wrong!!"

Your above statement is incorrect and indicates you have NOT studied the manual sufficiently....yet. No skin off of my teeth but the Phantom has a painful and expensive way of punishing those who think they can shortcut the learning process.

So, what exactly was the bird telling me? In the literature I've found at the DJI website, the only thing I see is 6 greens which indicates "Bias of Sensors too Big". This is from the "Quick Start Manual" PDF. If you can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it (and I think so would others who haven't had these problems but look at all of this as a learning experience).

As I've pointed out recently, the most pressing problem is the IMU initialization error, which means nothing works.

Another update-Ben from DJI told me to send the Naza module back to LA so they could look at it. Instead I asked if I could send the entire unit. He said okay, so off it went. We shall see what they find and what they fix.

radioguy said:
Another update-Ben from DJI told me to send the Naza module back to LA so they could look at it. Instead I asked if I could send the entire unit. He said okay, so off it went. We shall see what they find and what they fix.

So fast forward to present day...I got the P1 back from DJI LA, and they fixed whatever was wrong with it. I've flown it numerous times, haven't crashed it (yet), have shot videos with it and will be adding FPV this month. So far so good.

Take off is the only time odd things will happen. It is natural for it to push forward, backward, side to side. Just use both controls to get it off ASAP. Don't do it slowly. Just go!

kydan said:
Take off is the only time odd things will happen. It is natural for it to push forward, backward, side to side. Just use both controls to get it off ASAP. Don't do it slowly. Just go!

Right on! That's the way I do it now..just wait for green, then full throttle. It gets off the ground (and you're right, it does look like it's about to do weird stuff) and that's the time to back off and figure out where you want to go.

I hope this thread can begin to dispel the myth of DJI being unresponsive. I got an RMA for a battery that appeared to be defective, they confirmed it was defective and they are sending a replacement at no charge. I have also received replies to emails. Not overnight, but in a reasonable time considering the volume I would assume they are handling.

Timtro said:
I hope this thread can begin to dispel the myth of DJI being unresponsive. I got an RMA for a battery that appeared to be defective, they confirmed it was defective and they are sending a replacement at no charge. I have also received replies to emails. Not overnight, but in a reasonable time considering the volume I would assume they are handling.

It sounds like they're taking comments about customer service seriously. I'm sure it'll take time to get things really smooth and seamless, but I take this as a positive sign.

Fast forward to today (June 29th). I've managed to outfit both my Phantom and Blade with OSD and FPV. Now a new learning experience awaits. I've had several successful FPV flights, for which I'm very thankful and look forward to many more. However, given some of the negative publicity our hobby has been getting lately, I'm trying to be conservative as to where and when I fly. My takeoffs are getting better and better, and the problems I was having before have all but disappeared. I guess it's just time spent and acquiring experience, and learning how the particular quad handles and reacts to commands.

The problem I face now is balancing what I want to do vs. how much money is in my PayPal account! Lots of choices out there-is my next quad a DIY, or some portion thereof? Who knows. But all in all this is a fun and fascinating hobby. Never a dull moment, and every flight seems to have a teachable moment or two.

Fred in Houston,

A couple of "presumes" and "assumes" in your comments. Perhaps a bit presumptuous of me, but I assume you downloaded the manual specific to your Phantom from the DJI web site and have done a precursory review of what all the sequences of flashing LEDs mean? I assume you know that not knowing that information may lead to a Phantom presumed dead after a crash.

Good flying!!

With the GoPro on mine it wants to lean forward a bit at take off. I have practiced pulling back on the right stick just at take off and can get it up pretty straight now. I always place mine the same way at take off, forward away from me and now can throttle up and take off straight without thinking about it. It just will come with practice.

radioguy said:
Well, fast forward to Christmas Day 2013. After charging up my battery, and putting new AAs in the controller, I decided to take the Phantom out for a spin and see if I could actually get it up and running (having not used it since May). After letting it cycle through, I'm getting one green, then five more greens in rapid succession.

With the GPS on, I lift off. The unit immediately starts hauling *** in one direction or another, and the only way I know how to shut it down is to lower the throttle so it does a "soft crash".

So far no real damage, which is good.

I'm suspecting that I did not install the propellers properly. I know in the videos it says to follow the direction on the blades and make sure they're matched up to the arm.

But, on my blades, I have two embossed direction indicators. Each blade also has "DJI" embossed on one blade, and what appears to be a part number embossed on the other blade. The direction indicator next to the DJI goes in one direction, and the direction indicator on the other blade goes in the opposite direction. What's not evident (at least I haven't found it yet) is what do you use to determine if you've got the proper propeller on the proper motor? Or is it a case that the propellers need to be installed so that the indicators are on the bottom (facing the ground)?

I can understand that they have to be right, and I think that's what's causing my problems in flight. But it's not obvious to me how to figure this out. Any suggestions?

Are you serious??? It is impossible to put the props on the wrong motors! 2 have clockwise threads and the other two have counter clockwise threads. They simply won't screw on the wrong motors.... The props with the silver centre cap go on the motors without the black dot. The props with the black centre caps go on the motors with the black dots...

Buk said:
Fred in Houston,

A couple of "presumes" and "assumes" in your comments. Perhaps a bit presumptuous of me, but I assume you downloaded the manual specific to your Phantom from the DJI web site and have done a precursory review of what all the sequences of flashing LEDs mean? I assume you know that not knowing that information may lead to a Phantom presumed dead after a crash.

Good flying!!

Is that your Phantom in the pic Fred? Nasty looking thing, all black! lol

Phantom_Menace66 said:
radioguy said:
Well, fast forward to Christmas Day 2013. After charging up my battery, and putting new AAs in the controller, I decided to take the Phantom out for a spin and see if I could actually get it up and running (having not used it since May). After letting it cycle through, I'm getting one green, then five more greens in rapid succession.

With the GPS on, I lift off. The unit immediately starts hauling *** in one direction or another, and the only way I know how to shut it down is to lower the throttle so it does a "soft crash".

So far no real damage, which is good.

I'm suspecting that I did not install the propellers properly. I know in the videos it says to follow the direction on the blades and make sure they're matched up to the arm.

But, on my blades, I have two embossed direction indicators. Each blade also has "DJI" embossed on one blade, and what appears to be a part number embossed on the other blade. The direction indicator next to the DJI goes in one direction, and the direction indicator on the other blade goes in the opposite direction. What's not evident (at least I haven't found it yet) is what do you use to determine if you've got the proper propeller on the proper motor? Or is it a case that the propellers need to be installed so that the indicators are on the bottom (facing the ground)?

I can understand that they have to be right, and I think that's what's causing my problems in flight. But it's not obvious to me how to figure this out. Any suggestions?

Are you serious??? It is impossible to put the props on the wrong motors! 2 have clockwise threads and the other two have counter clockwise threads. They simply won't screw on the wrong motors.... The props with the silver centre cap go on the motors without the black dot. The props with the black centre caps go on the motors with the black dots...

If you're thinking about the Phantom 2, you're correct-it is impossible to put on the props incorrectly. I have a 2 (along with my P1) and have had no issues with the 2. My post above is referring to my P1, before I acquired the P2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav