P3 Firmware No fly zones over ride

Why would you want to? Operative word there is "NO". Violating a NFZ is a big deal regardless of what size aircraft you are flying. One of the quickest ways to get federal law enforcement on your case.

I don't think there is enough people out there in NFZs to really fuel widespread firmware hacking/dev. I would love to see it done, as I am on the far edge of one of the dumbest and largest NFZs in the country, but I can drive out of the NFZ in like 3 minutes, so I am not super pressed.

And to all the goody two shoes out there, you do realize that DJIs enforcement of these NFZ is almost moot right? If someone wants to fly in a NFZ bad enough, they will just buy a drone without restrictions and have at it.

Reactions: iflawdya
And to all the goody two shoes out there, you do realize that DJIs enforcement of these NFZ is almost moot right? If someone wants to fly in a NFZ bad enough, they will just buy a drone without restrictions and have at it.

Really? That helps the thread how?
imagesthink-before-you-speak.jpeg

Remember we are on this slippery slope of regulations because people have done some very dumb things with sUAS recently and because the media has created an unjustified fear of our toy aircraft. If the "regulators" get their ways we will see a whole lot stricter and wide spreading regulations. If we can't seem to force ourselves to fly "safely" within current regulations those in charge will find/create ways to make it harder and more painful to fly.

For the OP.... can you tell us more about what type of Restricted area you're wanting to work in? I see you're from Nova Scotia .... keep in mind that you're working under Transport Canada rules so you could be violating some restrictions that we aren't even aware of. You're not alone in your frustration because even the Halifax FD feels your pain over restricted airspace.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here is my dilemma on the NFZ. I work at an air force base in the public affairs office, I and my shop give clearance to take photos on the base. I shoot b-roll around the base and bought a DJI Phantom 3 pro to shoot some of the history, attractions and flightline. I have gotten clearance from the flight safety office, base operations, control tower, security forces and base commander and because of the geo fencing I can't do any of this photography around MY base. Most of my shooting would be under 300 feet, any higher and I can get the state troopers to take me up in their helicopter. Since I have higher approval to do this kind of work does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this restricted area/geo fencing in the DJI Go app?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here is my dilemma on the NFZ. I work at an air force base in the public affairs office, I and my shop give clearance to take photos on the base. I shoot b-roll around the base and bought a DJI Phantom 3 pro to shoot some of the history, attractions and flightline. I have gotten clearance from the flight safety office, base operations, control tower, security forces and base commander and because of the geo fencing I can't do any of this photography around MY base. Most of my shooting would be under 300 feet, any higher and I can get the state troopers to take me up in their helicopter. Since I have higher approval to do this kind of work does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get around this restricted area/geo fencing in the DJI Go app?
You should be able to request an unlock for the NFZ through dji's flysafe server. See http://www.flysafe.dji.com. You have to go through some hoops and documentations, as well as ID checks, but they will unlock your soecific NFZ. You will need to give them lat/long positioning, radius of the unlock, and inclusive dates. Even If you are in the DC NFZ, they will accomodate you, so long as they are satisfied with your documentation, which it appears that you can supply.

Interesting, but i would just rather email flysafe and request a software NFZ unlock. Once in their database it is a very easy process. Before the timeframe expires, just request an extension. It is just as easy to submit new oordinates. They are prompt and efficient.

I agree. I have no intentions in buying this hack. I think the NFZ are good and needed for the most part.

Remember,
You should be able to request an unlock for the NFZ through dji's flysafe server. See http://www.flysafe.dji.com. You have to go through some hoops and documentations, as well as ID checks, but they will unlock your soecific NFZ. You will need to give them lat/long positioning, radius of the unlock, and inclusive dates. Even If you are in the DC NFZ, they will accomodate you, so long as they are satisfied with your documentation, which it appears that you can supply.
DJI might unlock your bird, but they have no authority to give you permission to fly in a NFZ. That is strictly up to the Government agency controlling the airspace. No way DJI can 'approve' you flying in the DC NFZ!

Inter
Interesting concept. Looks like they have you install their circuit board and then use it to 'fake out' the GPS in the bird so that it thinks that you are outside the NFZ. Again, toehold technology bug-a-boo, just because you can do something, doesn't mean that that you should!! Regardless of ho inconvenient they may be, NFZ's were put in place for a reason and 'sneaking' into one doesn't do you or the rest of us any good. And yes, i know that many of them probably appear to be ridiculous and/or useless, but that doesn't make them any more binding.

I have an issue. I have been flying my phantom 3 pro since December. I went form August 31 to November 1st without flying ...I bought a new iPhone 7 and now my gps on screen has not updated since my flight in MA to my present location in PA . My phone does not show any connection, my rc can still turn my bird on and raise and lower camera but that is all. Can someone pkease help me?

Not sure about this but if you have internet access before you take off you can override a restricted area - I did it once when I had clearance from ATC to fly in controlled airspace. If you're not connected to the internet I don't think you get the option in Go. Something or other texted some kind of code to my phone, which I then typed in to Go and I was good to fly.

Remember,

DJI might unlock your bird, but they have no authority to give you permission to fly in a NFZ. That is strictly up to the Government agency controlling the airspace. No way DJI can 'approve' you flying in the DC NFZ!
Once you have FAA approval to fly within the DC NFZ, DJI will remove the geofence with the location, time and radius parameters you specify. I agree that flying in the DC NFZ without FAA approval is against the law.

Not sure about this but if you have internet access before you take off you can override a restricted area - I did it once when I had clearance from ATC to fly in controlled airspace. If you're not connected to the internet I don't think you get the option in Go. Something or other texted some kind of code to my phone, which I then typed in to Go and I was good to fly.

Just to clarify, ATC will not give you clearance to fly, you are only informing them that you will be flying.

Just to clarify, ATC will not give you clearance to fly, you are only informing them that you will be flying.
Not in a NFZ!! You can't give yourself permission to fly there! That would kind of defeat the purpose of a NFZ. And I seriously doubt that any ATC is going to authorize you to enter the space. To even have any hope of being allowed to fly there you would probably have to go the online request route.

As an ATC myself, you are correct in your statement. I am not sure how you go about getting approval but I can attest to the fact that we do not give approval. When I show up to work, or while I am working, a supervisor will brief you saying there is authorized drone activity in whatever area and that a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) is active that lets other pilots know where authorized drone activity is.

From past experience at work we have had authorized drone activity inside our Class C airspace but there is a lot that goes along with that. There has to be a spotter with the UAS pilot and they have to be available for us to call them and tell them to stop if needed. If there is a fly away situation they are required to immediately call us and let us know so we can take necessary precautions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31