no fly zones and ATTI mode.

Reaction score
Ok so maybe this is new, but last time I was in a red no fly zone I couldn't do anything with the bird.

Today I'm about a mile away from Moffett Field in Sunnyvale California , military base. I didn't even think about the no fly zone until I turned on the p3. I'm doing some pictures of a job site I'm doing work at. So I got the standard "no fly zone unable to launch" I switched over to ATTI and boom turned on flew around my site took some pictures no issue what so ever. I never went over 35ft high so I wasn't endanger of doing any harm to passing F16s or anything.

I was always under the assumption no fly zones disabled the bird completely from flight. ? If not what the hell is the point ? Lol.

ATTI mode is no problem at all. I use it alot , everyone should so when **** hit's the fan you aren't stuck watching it fly away.

My point is no fly zones should be what they say. NO FLY ZONES. I'm responsible I flew low and for 5 mins. But who's to say I couldn't have just cruised on over to the military base and checked it out. Seems odd you can still fly just by flipping a switch.

It is a geofence, which means it relies on GPS. When you switch to atti, GPS is effectively disabled. The quad basically has no clue where it is.

Sure, GPS is physically still there, but there are legit reasons why you may disable is, such as poor gps quality or a fly away.

ATTI mode is no problem at all. I use it alot , everyone should so when **** hit's the fan you aren't stuck watching it fly away.

My point is no fly zones should be what they say. NO FLY ZONES. I'm responsible I flew low and for 5 mins. But who's to say I couldn't have just cruised on over to the military base and checked it out. Seems odd you can still fly just by flipping a switch.
Any one flying over the military base with a drone to "check if out " would be in deep trouble-- you could wind up in Levenworth, KS , not to mention that it probably would get shot down. Any one can go down to the local hobby store and buy a drone any fly it anywhere-- they wouldn't need a Phantom.

Not all NO FLY ZONES are the same. I'm in the Wash DC metro area. FAA reacted to the White House DJI crash by establishing two NO FLY ZONES with a 15 mile radius. This effectively takes out all of the District of Columbia (which has drone restricted airspace already) but also the surrounding suburbs in MD and VA where there is no drone restriction. This is a heavy-handed approach considering that DC was already a no-fly zone. They didn't have to take out the suburbs too. Silver Spring, Largo, National Harbor, Alexandria, Tyson Corner, Bethesda, Rockville, Greenbelt, Arlington and much more are all covered by these massive NO FLY ZONES. Meanwhile, I live 7 miles from Andrews AFB and can fly all day long. Go figure.

Not all NO FLY ZONES are the same. I'm in the Wash DC metro area. FAA reacted to the White House DJI crash by establishing two NO FLY ZONES with a 15 mile radius. This effectively takes out all of the District of Columbia (which has drone restricted airspace already) but also the surrounding suburbs in MD and VA where there is no drone restriction. This is a heavy-handed approach considering that DC was already a no-fly zone. They didn't have to take out the suburbs too. Silver Spring, Largo, National Harbor, Alexandria, Tyson Corner, Bethesda, Rockville, Greenbelt, Arlington and much more are all covered by these massive NO FLY ZONES. Meanwhile, I live 7 miles from Andrews AFB and can fly all day long. Go figure.
Don't talk to loud, that one will be nexto_Oo_O

It is a geofence, which means it relies on GPS. When you switch to atti, GPS is effectively disabled. The quad basically has no clue where it is.

Sure, GPS is physically still there, but there are legit reasons why you may disable is, such as poor gps quality or a fly away.
Hmm not so sure because RTH still will function in atti.

No it doesn't disable the GPS. Switch to atti and look at the map, it still knows where it is doesn't it?
It simply does only use the gyro, act and magneto for flying, any GPS assisted flight is not used but it still can get the position information.
There is no way to disable the GPS, only to 'disturb' the reception.

I'd be interested to know how you did this..... I live next to a very small airport and my backyard is in the NFZ. I am unable to fly in ATTI mode for the exact reason jobar mentioned. It doesn't disable the GPS and still knows where it is. If I am inside my house, I am able to fly in ATTI because it's unable to get a GPS signal, but as soon as I take it outside, it won't take off.

If I am inside my house, I am able to fly in ATTI because it's unable to get a GPS signal, but as soon as I take it outside, it won't take off.

Cover the GPS receiver with some foil so that it thinks it's inside and then you can fly it outside in ATTI mode anywhere.

I am about to fly at an airport. Yes I have filed a NOTAM and I am in full compliance with my COA, I will have 2 way com with air traffic.
Am I right in thinking that if have no fly zone restrictions I can just switch to ATTI and then I am good to fly?

Has anyone tried to go deep into a no-fly zone and managed to bring back the Phantom safely? Just curious!!

I am about to fly at an airport. Yes I have filed a NOTAM and I am in full compliance with my COA, I will have 2 way com with air traffic.
Am I right in thinking that if have no fly zone restrictions I can just switch to ATTI and then I am good to fly?
If the airport is in DJI no fly database you will have to cover top of Phantom with Aluminum foil.

If you want to fly in no fly zone, just write to DJI and they will tell you a procedure of unlock.
You will have a permissions to fly in zone of course.

Reactions: ResevorDG
Has anyone tried to go deep into a no-fly zone and managed to bring back the Phantom safely? Just curious!!

I would like to know the same thing.

Last night I was trying to pass my 17,000 limit. I was a little off my usual course by maybe 1/4 mile and at 16,000 the pop up of death flashed on my screen. "YOU ARE ENTERING A NO FLY ZONE". This was the first time I have ever seen this. I was so frightened that I spun around and came straight back home still in ATTI MODE. Now that I am calm, and reviewed the flight I have one question.
The fact is that I usually fly at 399ish feet. In my haste, I let off at 400 but it stopped at 412 feet. ATTI MODE. I now understand that the warning I got was probably because I was over 400 and the reason I didnt get it prior is because I am usually below 400. Here is the question.
If I fly full speed into a no fly zone such that "auto land" has initialized, is it possible on the decent to steer back out of it to cancel and prevent the actual touchdown and shutting off of the motors thereby regaining control so one could fly home below the height limit?

I have no intention of trying this, but I am curious if the auto land will disengage if you make your way out sideways and leave you hovering low, but in full control, or is it like a tractor beam with no escape?

I would like to know the same thing.

Last night I was trying to pass my 17,000 limit. I was a little off my usual course by maybe 1/4 mile and at 16,000 the pop up of death flashed on my screen. "YOU ARE ENTERING A NO FLY ZONE". This was the first time I have ever seen this. I was so frightened that I spun around and came straight back home still in ATTI MODE. Now that I am calm, and reviewed the flight I have one question.
The fact is that I usually fly at 399ish feet. In my haste, I let off at 400 but it stopped at 412 feet. ATTI MODE. I now understand that the warning I got was probably because I was over 400 and the reason I didnt get it prior is because I am usually below 400. Here is the question.
If I fly full speed into a no fly zone such that "auto land" has initialized, is it possible on the decent to steer back out of it to cancel and prevent the actual touchdown and shutting off of the motors thereby regaining control so one could fly home below the height limit?

I have no intention of trying this, but I am curious if the auto land will disengage if you make your way out sideways and leave you hovering low, but in full control, or is it like a tractor beam with no escape?
I did just that... was unaware I was in a no fly red zone and flew straight over out of my balcony and was over a pond when vision mode went to gps and realised and decided to auto land. Had no control of it what so ever! didnt give any warnings and now its in a bag of rice.... really pissed off at dji for not giving me a little control so i could steer clear of the water and hoping the main frame survives(battery is toast already)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav