Night in Jail in Paris, 300 Euros fine, Welcome to France!

Re: Night in Jail in Paris, 300 Euros fine, Welcome to Franc

Sigh... These incidents are going to force law creation all over the place. I understand people wanting to get good photos and videos with their phantom... But seriously? Notre Dame? You didn't see this coming? Idiot.

I can see the attraction. Notre Dame and other cathedrals are perfect subjects for a flying camera.
So much detail you just can't get close to or even see from the ground.
_DSC5135a-L.jpg

Le Stryge here is pondering the new French drone laws.

I wonder what's going to happen in 10 years when just about everyone is using a drone for aerial photography/videography? So you're telling me the police will be able to arrest 500 tourists in Paris at some famous monument because they're using drones? I'd love to see them even attempt that.

No wonder everyone hates the French !!

:lol:

I am sorry but it shouldn't be a crime to take aerial video of Notre Dame. Many people, myself included, are making aerial videos of urban landscapes without incident. The French law is an obtuse, knee-jerk reaction written by Luddites. It's disappointing to see fellow drone pilots advocating for it.

Ian, you're clearly an expert pilot with a perfect safety record, but unfortunately you are the exception rather than the rule. Most of us have had flights which if they had taken place over an historic hospital, a police station and a UNESCO World Heritage site in an area crowded with tourists (which is exactly what this guy did) would have been worrying to say the least.

Like most here, I have £5M public liability insurance, but I don't think would have paid for me breaking one of the priceless stained glass windows of Notre Dame. And I don't think I could guarantee that wouldn't happen. Phantoms, like most bits of complex electronic machinery, sometimes go wrong and I sometimes make piloting errors.

It's true the French rules about flying 'small unmanned surveillance aircraft" are tough, even draconian, but given the way some idiots behave, in areas like that around Notre Dame they are not entirely stupid.

Banning drones because some people use them irresponsibly is like banning cars because some people drink and drive. A car is a far bigger threat to Notre Dame than a Phantom. As I see it, the beauty of Notre Dame exists to be appreciated. If there is a mechanism to appreciate it in a whole new way that is both respectful and responsible, then there is no reason to deny it.

Not everyone is capable and not everyone should be allowed but if it were legal to do so, I'd have a Phantom all over Notre Dame in a heartbeat.

I wonder if there are exemptions and whether or not you can get them above board or do you have to grease lots of rusty wheels?

I think it is more about the security of the tourists down there than the stones of Notre Dame. I'm pretty sure than in 10 years the laws will be clear for everybody and you will not see any drone in the sky. (except the police ones of course...)

Ian - you can get a licence in France to fly in places like Notre Dame in Paris (as you can in the UK). You get arrested only if you don't have a licence.

I suspect you'd get arrested if you flew your Phantom without permission near the White House or any other place in the USA that had the same standing as Notre Dame has in Paris.

Getting a license in France sounds like it's about as easy as capturing unicorn farts in jars, i.e. marginally easier than getting an exemption from the FAA. Obtuse lawmaking by obtuse politicians preventing creative arts.

ianwood said:
Getting a license in France sounds like it's about as easy as capturing unicorn farts in jars, i.e. marginally easier than getting an exemption from the FAA. Obtuse lawmaking by obtuse politicians preventing creative arts.

unicorns fart?? the illusion is ruined......

Geert said:
I moved your topic to the News forum.

Geert./.

Geert why did you lock my topic and not this one ?

Mine was started first

thanks

Its a good example of why you need to be aware of local laws when you travel. Do your homework...

Unfortunately, we legislate to the lowest common denominator.
For example, I am a good driver, I can ascertain a safe speed for the conditions of the road, I don't need a speed limit. However, 50% of those cars beside me on the roads are driven by people who probably shouldn't have a license to begin with, therefor speed limits are necessary.

The problem is the laws that are being enacted are written by the same <50 percentile group who shouldn't have a license, let alone be permitted to create law :eek:

I am a good driver too...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vMCTgGjTRA[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl