Night flights and shutter speed.

Reaction score
Ok all. Every one is so helpful to helping a newbie understand. I want to thank all again
First question about night flights. I assume much easier to fly fpv and no glare from the sun to interupt. Hence it will be out of visual range. So I will give a small test. I did read to turn off led to remove halo effect. Main question is how do I adjust or slow down the shutter speed to capture more light for the images. Either photo or video. I have seen many video now with beautiful images. Any help would be appreciated. Example of images I'm talking about here. This is not my image nor do I own it. Disclaimer.
960cb171f7afe30c3a8537c641e5f41b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Santiego
You'll want to set as high an ISO as you can, if you're setting it manually, to let in as much light as you want. I would go up, and hover, and set it to a level you think looks good.

Reactions: Rebel Gal
Where is that setting if you don't mind me asking. Using phantom 3! standard.

I believe it's in the section on the DJIGo app, that looks like 3 horizontal bars, with white dots on them. But you must have to have the RC and controller on, in order to change it. Sorry, I'm at work, or I'd look more deeply into it.

how do I adjust or slow down the shutter speed to capture more light for the images. Either photo or video.
If you're not familiar with camera controls, I'd suggest starting with auto to see how the camera handles things rather than messing with things you don't understand.
The P3 camera does a pretty good job itself. This was shot on auto - like most of my night photos.
The thing to do is make sure you have enough light in the frame - you don't want 98% black with a couple of distant points of light.
DJI_0001-46a-XL.jpg

Auto is easy enough. I can always reset camera to factory. By the point is trying to understand the iso. Which as suggested above. If you don't try you will never know. As stated. Will hover as I look at it if I can get more light in there. Since there is very little light at night from distance. From what others have said changing settings does it.
Very nice pic you have by the way. Was that taken on auto ?

Also. Do you get that same effect from video as the pic you posted here ?

From what others have said changing settings does it.
Was that taken on auto ?
Yes ... that was shot on auto - like most of my night photos.

On auto the camera will adjust the ISO value and shutter speed to get a proper exposure (video or stills).
It's not like it won't happen unless you do something.
See the camera data here .... ISO 1600 Shutter 1/3 sec
i-2ZhKQ83-L.png

Since there is very little light at night from distance. From what others have said changing settings does it.
If you distant from your subject and the frame is mostly dark, no amount of changing settings will help much.
You have to move in to get a lot of light in the frame or you just get black with a few specks of light.

Ok. Thanks guys. I won't be too far from downtown. As I live less than a half mile away. So very close. I guess I will hover and get some shots and see what's happening will post night shots. Thanks. So as suggested. I will do auto first. Then learn from there.

Last edited:
I was able to find the iso settings after I connected my aircraft. I did not change. However I did notice that at auto settings it was around 650. However the max setting manually was 1600. That seems like a major distance. Incredible so time to get some night shots when the weather improves. I appreciate all the help.

Please post some photos Tony. And let us know what the settings are. I want to do some night shots too, but I am out in the country where is is dark

I will. Too bad raining tonight. So I must wait.

Funny. Im in awe of these night shots. I wished I could see night video. Will check you tube

If you're not familiar with camera controls, I'd suggest starting with auto to see how the camera handles things rather than messing with things you don't understand.
The P3 camera does a pretty good job itself. This was shot on auto - like most of my night photos.
The thing to do is make sure you have enough light in the frame - you don't want 98% black with a couple of distant points of light.
DJI_0001-46a-XL.jpg

Is that a few pictures put together? Did you do a lot of post process? I am just getting into photo post process and I speed forever on it....never know when to quits. Then I show my wife and she likes the original better than my post process....

if you want a long exposure shot, change shutter speed to 2" (Seconds) or more.

Personally i turn down ISO at night cuz i get too much noise in the pic or video when its turned all the way up.

(this was on a really foggy night)
DJI_0273.JPG

Reactions: Noble 1
I'm so camera dumb I just go get my wife while up in air and say fix this she hits stuff and it looks nice

. I was going to do it tonight. My real first night flight. But got chicken as too many people out and about. I will try high and low Iso settings. I don't think I saw settings for shutter speed.

. I was going to do it tonight. My real first night flight. But got chicken as too many people out and about. I will try high and low Iso settings. I don't think I saw settings for shutter speed.

If you flip to manual you can set both iso and shuttle speed. In fact, I think you have to be in manual mode to set ISO....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl