Night Flight - What's Wrong With It?

How about...some places are safe to fly at night and others aren't. Unless you're under 18 (ask your parent's permission) make your own decisions understanding the consequences. I'm not the police or any official and it's obvious our voices aren't going to be considered by the FAA so I'm just going to wait for pretty video to watch and make some of my own.

Once or twice a week, friends and I fly at night at a local college on a hilltop. We launch from a parking lot at one end of the campus. There are no obstacles taller than the campus buildings and parking lot street lamps, and though we are just outside the 5 mile fly zone for San Francisco International, we call the tower.

There is nothing less safe about flying here at night than during the day. Indeed, VLOS range is at least quadrupled at night, and visual reacquisition is instant after looking down at your phone/tablet. Other night flyers may agree that under these conditions, situational awareness is enhanced, not diminished.

It comes down to knowing your environment and maintaining situational awareness. I reject blanket statements about night flying being less safe.

So I have heard rumors about how the FAA may prohibit our drones from flying at night some day, but why? I've had several night flights with my P3S and it's no more dangerous at night than in the day. In fact, night flight may be arguably safer. The lights on the quad shine bright, you can see it from farther away, and there's usually less wind to fight. Is anyone actually against night flight? I just don't see any safety issues whatsoever with flying our quads at night...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You know, since they allow airplanes to fly at night as long as they have night time marker lights, and they are now treating hobby drones that brings up a good point...

Of course for real aircraft you have to take a physical and have your eyes checked...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie