Here are the steps to get the Nexus 7 (2012) (and I suspect many other tablets can be made to work) to run DJI Pilot
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
- I would recommend upgrading Android to the latest version Lollipop (currently 5.1).
- Root the device - I think there are a number of methods, I used WugFresh. Follow the instructions carefully and it should work with no issues.
- Install an application called Market Helper. This application does not appear to be on Google play and I had to download and install it from the site. There are detailed directions. This application allows any android device to appear as another android device to Google play. Ideally it would have had Nexus 7 (2013) as an option but I did not see it so I just selected a Samsung Galaxy S5.
- Once the Google Play thinks your device is valid for the DJI Pilot application, you can use Google Play to download and install it.
- So far it seems to run well but I can't say I have used it extensively, just a few flights with a Phantom 3 Pro.