News report from Australia uses illegal footage

Reaction score
Posted in main forum but also in here cos this place is more my home..

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stor ... n-aviation

60 minutes in Australia, the footage they are showing is too close to people even with a license and permission from CASA - they also quote that this is a grey area.. CASA have made it quite clear that it's not a grey area. This sort of stuff doesn't help us.

I think this was a very good and balanced news report for once. What are your main problems with it?

Aus is my home and i saw the broadcast today.
60 minutes report paints a bleak future, invasion of privacy, terrorism, public liability etc.
The entire report has so many negative connotations, calling them "DRONES". Like all current affairs, they are over-sensationalised.

I flew it in the park today and a stranger asked if it was a drone. "It's RC quad with a camera" I responded. The public needs to be more aware of the difference otherwise we won't be able to fly in peace. Simple minded people will class the phantom in the same category as the winged UAV drones the military uses. It's like a car with a spud/potato gun attached to it and calling it a TANK.

Mako79 said:
Aus is my home and i saw the broadcast today.
60 minutes report paints a bleak future, invasion of privacy, terrorism, public liability etc.
The entire report has so many negative connotations, calling them "DRONES". Like all current affairs, they are over-sensationalised.

I flew it in the park today and a stranger asked if it was a drone. "It's RC quad with a camera" I responded. The public needs to be more aware of the difference otherwise we won't be able to fly in peace. Simple minded people will class the phantom in the same category as the winged UAV drones the military uses. It's like a car with a spud/potato gun attached to it and calling it a TANK.

Haha good analogy, yeah I'm not a fan of the drone word myself but it did show its good uses and having Raffaello, who to me is the foremost expert in this field interviewed is a huge plus. Yes these things may be a threat if used in the wrong hands, terrosists, inexperienced assholes and the like but as he said the cat is out of the bag and you cant put it back in. This technology is going to be a big part of the future and its going to be the norm and be accepted. We need more people to see Raffaello's work and teachings so our toys will be accepted as fully working and very useful pieces of machinery that will help everyone's day to day life, just as the car has done for us now 120 years from its first appearance. Yes people will do stupid things with multirotors and maybe showing these bad things can promote an education on how to do it right and how not to do it wrong. Remotely operated machines are certainly not going to go away, who's not to say that in 120 years they could be the replacement of the car? We are at such a young age of this technology and its up to us to educate anyone around who may ask questions, as stupid and ignorant as they may seem. In 5-10 years I think there will be no stigma of the drone word associated with our birds because they will be so common place and a very helpful tool to the human race.

Cars are a primary delivery tool for IED's in terrorist attacks.
Cars facilitate the ease with which drunks can kill people.
Cars pollute.
Backseats in cars contribute to world population. (okay, that was a stretch)
But, when cars were just coming of age and replacing horses, there would be no way to stop them because it was the new frontier. The naysayers could not have banned them nor prevented them if they had wanted to.
You could make the same argument for countless technologies and advancements.
People will do stupid things with new technologies, but this Genie will never be put back in the bottle.
IMHO

rrhansen said:
Cars are a primary delivery tool for IED's in terrorist attacks.
Cars facilitate the ease with which drunks can kill people.
Cars pollute.
Backseats in cars contribute to world population. (okay, that was a stretch)
But, when cars were just coming of age and replacing horses, there would be no way to stop them because it was the new frontier. The naysayers could not have banned them nor prevented them if they had wanted to.
You could make the same argument for countless technologies and advancements.
People will do stupid things with new technologies, but this Genie will never be put back in the bottle.
IMHO
+1

I saw the story as well and thought it showed far more positives than negatives only briefly touching on terrorism and privacy.
I agree, like the car, this is a new frontier though some major advancements will need to take place before they become the norm. I believe you will need to be licensed like a motor vehicle and complete an exam, practical test plus avoidance technology needs to be in place. The progression of cars was gradual and they used existing roadways used by horse and pedestrians however there are no roads in the sky.

I welcome the idea of licensing, registration and insurance and mandatory training. Reason being is that its going to be needed, plain and simple.

As an enthusiast residing in the United States, I, too, welcome licensing,regulation,insurance and mandatory training in Ireland. :D

Haha. The Irish drones will have the usual safety features such as safe and no fly zones built in plus the added feature of pub locality and find my home :p

Double-D said:
Haha. The Irish drones will have the usual safety features such as safe and no fly zones built in plus the added feature of pub locality and find my home :p
Haha very useful indeed. Seriously though in Europe they are already working on UAS legislation which will involve registration of all craft and a licensing system.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Double-D said:
Haha very useful indeed. Seriously though in Europe they are already working on UAS legislation which will involve registration of all craft and a licensing system.

How dreadful! I don't know if I could honestly say that I'd abide by those laws. Even when the FAA gets around to doing whatever they're going to do here in the states, the value of any licensing or registration they'd put in place is questionable. The only "benefit" of such a mechanism is more government oversight and control in an area where it's not needed and shouldn't be welcomed. (Remember, government and red tape are never your friends.)

CRankin said:
How dreadful! I don't know if I could honestly say that I'd abide by those laws. Even when the FAA gets around to doing whatever they're going to do here in the states, the value of any licensing or registration they'd put in place is questionable. The only "benefit" of such a mechanism is more government oversight and control in an area where it's not needed and shouldn't be welcomed. (Remember, government and red tape are never your friends.)

I will never, for the life of me, figure out why people are such docile sheep? Why are they so willing to hand over their rights & liberties to government? Why do they look to government as the solution for every problem? MAN UP!!! WTF does government do efficiently or effectively? OK, they waste LOTS of money. I give them that, they are the unquestionable kings of waste & largesse. Other than that, assuming one considers squandering loads of money to be a desirable attribute, WTF do they do effectively or efficiently?

Dirty Bird said:
CRankin said:

I will never, for the life of me, figure out why people are such docile sheep? Why are they so willing to hand over their rights & liberties to government? Why do they look to government as the solution for every problem? MAN UP!!! WTF does government do efficiently or effectively? OK, they waste LOTS of money. I give them that, they are the unquestionable kings of waste & largesse. Other than that, assuming one considers squandering loads of money to be a desirable attribute, WTF do they do effectively or efficiently?

Print more money, and raise the credit card limit, so they can print more money, and raise the credit card limit, so they can print more money. This administration, more than some, seems hellbent on exponentially increasing regulatory oversight in countless arenas.

Well some people don't have a problem with breaking the laws instead of working to correct them. If you intentionally disregard the law I am guessing you will not take much from the words of someone on a forum - but it would be better if we as human beings grew a pair and stood up for our rights. Breaking the laws now only makes the tougher and harder to change down the track. CASA is trying to push for less restrictions on people doing this for fun and enjoyment. They are going to have a hard time pushing new rules through when people will break the law anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl