Newbies #1 P3 Mistake

Reaction score
If you are the type of guy that opens the box, charges the battery and away you go. And then figures you can catch up with any kind of reading later....then you will likely cost yourself some money in the coming days with the P3.

Now the P3 itself is really a easy aircraft to fly unless your making your 1st flight in strong winds. But the mistake will come from taking what's in the box for granted.

It's actually sad, but there is those that forget all about the money spent and insert a battery and head out the door. With the P3 you really should go through all the settings throughout each part of the system itself. This includes all calibrations and app setup. There really is some important things that need to be known. Some of these include, Home Lock, RTH Height, Proper Battery Insertion, Prop Install, Gimbal Lock, and more.

You will have a much better experience if you don't the investment for granted.

Good Luck to all and fly Safe!

So how tight should the props be tightened?

So how tight should the props be tightened?
Although a "spanner" is provided, I tighten to hand tight, a bit like a spark plug run it up the threads and then an extra 1/4 turn, haven't had a problem as they self tighten (Theoretically).

Man, I don't know how you guys are getting a quarter turn past initial snug. I get maybe 1/8 turn at best. The wrench is really only supposed to be used for removal of stuck props (esp. after a crash), not to tighten. I'm always afraid I'm gonna over tighten them and weaken the threads. Never had a problem though. I do inspect the threads every flying session since I need to remove the props to fit in the case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you are the type of guy that opens the box, charges the battery and away you go. And then figures you can catch up with any kind of reading later....then you will likely cost yourself some money in the coming days with the P3.

Now the P3 itself is really a easy aircraft to fly unless your making your 1st flight in strong winds. But the mistake will come from taking what's in the box for granted.

It's actually sad, but there is those that forget all about the money spent and insert a battery and head out the door. With the P3 you really should go through all the settings throughout each part of the system itself. This includes all calibrations and app setup. There really is some important things that need to be known. Some of these include, Home Lock, RTH Height, Proper Battery Insertion, Prop Install, Gimbal Lock, and more.

You will have a much better experience if you don't the investment for granted.

Good Luck to all and fly Safe!

+1
Good post Frank and so very true !

I have often said these phantoms are READY TO FLY as advertised
it the OPERATOR that is not so ready to fly!

even after 4 p2's ,
I still took a long day of setup and playing with the p3p when I got it.

Reactions: cuckoo's nest
Man, I don't know how you guys are getting a quarter turn past initial snug. I get maybe 1/8 turn at best. The wrench is really only supposed to be used for removal of stuck props (esp. after a crash), not to tighten. I'm always afraid I'm gonna over tighten them and weaken the threads. Never had a problem though. I do inspect the threads every flying session since I need to remove the props to fit in the case.

I literally just spin them down the thread then a tweek I don't turn them to a stop with a finger and then tighten. Maybe not even a full quarter , but you'll feel the resistance and "know" if they're right.

1. You need to tighten them pretty tight, but not tight enough that you will always need the tool to get them off. The P3 uses active braking which will cause a loose prop to fly off midflight.

2. I've seen a noob fly far enough to where he lost video signal and he just waited for the P3 to come back. I had to tell him to hit RTH because you can lose video signal but still have RC signal and the P3 will just sit there until it auto lands wherever it is.

After I decided to buy a P3 Pro I spent close to a year learning as much as I could, going to workshops and hanging around other very experienced pilots. I finally made the big purchase and have since watched hundreds of videos and read everything I can find so I'm as well prepared as possible. I took some great advice to learn to fly the craft and not to worry about the camera until I became more proficient. I'm a veteran filmmaker so the camera part is easy for me. One thing I was cautioned about was depth perception especially after your 25-30 feet away from the quad. I've been extra cautious yet I crashed a few days ago destroying the gimbal. I was over water and misjudged my depth and crashed into a tree on the banks. I've seen endless crash videos online in disbelief of what seemed like either careless flying or inexperience. Going over the my crash I was really shocked, as I'm sure most would be, but it reinforced the need to be MORE cautious than the extra cautious I had already been. I'm going flying today for the first time since my crash (and $600 later). I did a lot more reading and research (I read the manual again) and will be taking it nice and easy today. Be careful out there.

Reactions: Jason Levine
I've seen a noob fly far enough to where he lost video signal and he just waited for the P3 to come back. I had to tell him to hit RTH because you can lose video signal but still have RC signal and the P3 will just sit there until it auto lands wherever it is.
I've also seen this one many times. New pilots often dont yet understand that loss of video signal does not always mean loss of control. Too often when they lose only video they panic and dont know what to do so they end up doing something that results in a crash.

Reactions: TulsaReiner
A little trick of the trade for flying VLOS. To help with avoiding objects at distance, always keep some sky between the object and your aircraft and you will never hit it. You may have to increase altitude as you near the object to keep the sky in between, but if you do you won't hit it. I also look for its shadow if available to check its clearance from objects as well.

SD

Also not flying in big open spaces until they get used to the controls.

I have a good response for this...

The P3 has a Simulator that is actually pretty decent. I use it to even tweak the Gain Settings. Such as the Yaw settings mostly. But no the simulator is not to be considered an exact duplicate flight by any means....but it's decent.

A little trick of the trade for flying VLOS. To help with avoiding objects at distance, always keep some sky between the object and your aircraft and you will never hit it. You may have to increase altitude as you near the object to keep the sky in between, but if you do you won't hit it. I also look for its shadow if available to check its clearance from objects as well.

SD

On this subject I'd to add that might possibly be easier to remember before flight.

And that is..... Before Flight think of what is the tallest object and set your RTH setting above that height. So during RTH you will have piece of mind knowing your A/C is above everything with in your flying perimeter.

Why do my lights flash funky colours ?

Because your P3 wants to record you doing a Disco Dance. lol! Btw, I know you know the answer to that one. ;)

There is Props out that have different material where the threads are. I stick with only using OEM props with no worries, but I did order some from a dealers not paying attention to them being oem, and I do use the spanner tool to tighten my props. But on these props just when I was getting my usual stopping point the threads popped. I had another set of props that when tightening the top cap began to lift off. Basically it was those experiences why I stick to the oem props.

There is an actual trade off for having either snug or tool tightened props.
Here's the trade:
1. A Snug prop will lessen the damage possibility should they come in contact with something. This happens because when striking something, the prop will loosen on it's own and there is a less chance of breakage.

2. On the Tightened props there are 3 things that I can think of that will cause fly-off. Should the motors stop & go at any point even a split second the prop will fly-off. If operator has not tweaked the air-brake setting there is a good chance when going from full throttle to instant release, or full throttle to instant full reverse, another good chance of fly-off. And the last of the 3 reasons is all about Vibration. There is a Much greater chance of Not having vibration with a tightened prop.

Good post. I know I did lots of research through groups like this, tons of videos and practiced on other smaller craft. One emphasis from me is Pre-flight checks.

After I bought my P3P I practiced without flying a complete pre flight routine so I'd have it down pat. This always included calibration, prop installation (I only hand tighten after initial resistance) and turning on and connecting the controller etc. This helped a lot in my flights and takeoffs.

My only error so far was a harmless bump in Atti mode and it was completely a dumb cocky user error. All is well so far after 70+ flights.

Reactions: SMD

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl