Newbie needs advice

Reaction score
I am a new heli pilot. I guess I have 50 hours flying, but all helis. I can do a lot of things indoors in a big place. I am new, but not totally. I have three helis, and have only broken one in the last three months.

I want to get a quad, and try to make some money. Or just use it for my own needs, or to post things to my website.

That said, I am buried by a mountain of choices and opinions. I have read about the Blade 350 quad, the DJIs, IRIS, Cheeson, and others. Price range seems to be wide, from $350 to $3500.

Are there sites that conduct OBJECTIVE ratings based on performance, required skills, weight carrying capacity, battery life, crash resistance, et al?

I like buying more than I need so that I don't outgrow it. I would welcome suggestions for a robust quad for photography. I want a gimbal camera, preferably a Hero, but are there alternatives? I want return home, multi fly modes, SAFE technology or equivalent, wifi, screen monitor live time of what the camera is seeing, ability to put a large capacity battery and data storage card, and a good parts replacement program. I want to buy JUST ONE GOOD ONE that will last for long enough to see if the idea can be developed into a business, even if it is a break even deal. I would rather spend a little extra, and have one that has good weight capacity and handling in light winds rather than the lower end that is just marginal in performance.

I have noticed that I do not see a lot of them for sale used. Is everyone holding on to them? Is the used resale reasonable, or is there substantial loss when selling a new one? Is buying a used one a good idea?

Pardon the multiple questions, and info, but I want to provide background info so you can reply specifically.

What would you recommend for a quad, battery, and camera? All comments read and filed accordingly .... ... .. .

The Phantom 3 just launched today has made any other quad under $5000 obsolete.
Really .. it's that good.
Nothing else available comes close and it's hard to imagine that some of the new competitors about to be announced will either .. and the price is unbeatable.

Reactions: Deerstalker
The Phantom 3 just launched today has made any other quad under $5000 obsolete.
Really .. it's that good.
Nothing else available comes close and it's hard to imagine that some of the new competitors about to be announced will either .. and the price is unbeatable.
Right, but DJI will make it up and then some on the batteries, just like a cheap printer that uses expensive ink.

Or wait a few weeks and pick up a used P2. Could be plenty of them available for a song from folks who will "upgrade" to the P3.

Me? I'm sticking with my P2/H3-3D/FPV/GoPro3+ for now. Does everything I need (although the ability to fly the P3 inside is a bonus.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic