Newbie Crashes

Reaction score
Is it me, or does it seem like there are a lot more newbie crashes on this version Phantom?

Its not you. Very steep learning curve when you've never flown anything before spending $$$ on a phantom 3

I try to tell anybody listening to get a cheap X5C or the like, to get the feel. Once you can fly one, the P3 or P2 will be so easy. Used to fly the X5C indoors and practice blowing out candles. Not easy as the currents from propwash and the candle keep you busy.

But the training of the little one will help in an emergency.

I went from flying TREX 600's to drones. Easy as pie.

I had something similar and they are a challenge in wind for sure. Not enough power.

Lost two of them before getting the X5C (too much altitude). The benefit of the the quad is that the controls are the same as the Phantom's.

Is it me, or does it seem like there are a lot more newbie crashes on this version Phantom?
I think there are a lot less than with previous versions.
DJI have done a great job of getting the P3 closer to foolproof.
It's a very complicated piece of technology and in the hands of the general public and flown in all sorts of environments there will be some that crash for all sorts of reasons.
But the GPS system and Lightbridge are more robust than the earlier systems and this reduces the number of problems encountered by new flyers.

I crashed twice ..The second one should have killed it. But luck was with it. Upside down spinning prop marks in the dirt, would not shut down had to pull the battery while watching out for the blades.
I nicked a potted tree branch depth perception on my part. The first one was the brakes were set to low 30 and she came in hot and slid into a potted tree! Errr that one was close too. No more for me. I flew the Syma X5C for three months otherwise I think I would not have a working drone right now. :(

I learned on a LaTrax Alias. What I put that thing through is a crime!

I ordered my trainer three weeks before I ordered my Phantom. The Phantom arrived before my Syma. It sucks and frustrating going backwards.

Newbie or What!

I crashed my P3P today. My fault totally. I was flying up and down a dirt road when I veered too close to some branches when I thought I was making a move one away but instead drove right into them. It fell from about 6 ft onto the roadside upside down and on its propellers. A little scratched but it appeared in reasonably good shape. I turned it off to examine it and a little later I turned it back on and it started up. I was able to hover and move around ok. Since the battery was very low I brought it in to recharge, along with the iPad and controller.

Later I decided to give a thorough run through. Now the app was telling me that I was disconnected even though the green controller light was on and the motors started up, the camera could move and I could even fly. What??

I felt sick and knew what others who have had similar and even more serious crashes were going through.

After several reboots of iPad, controller and P3 it was still the same.

I was eventually able to figure it out and it was one of those smack yourself in the forehead moments.

What was it?

Oh, and should I discard the props? Would you?

Willie

I have to fully agree with Meta4 that there are actually a lot less crashes being posted as from before with previous phantom releases. It's actually been quite tame and the evidence in here in this forum, all you have to do is trawl back through previous posts and look within the dates of around the time of each release and maybe 8 weeks after. Something you will always find is the word "flyaway" we now know most of them should have been called "new pilot error" we see it here all the time, it's just hysteria and yours being one of the few p3 posts like this compared to posts of past proves itself

I try to tell anybody listening to get a cheap X5C or the like, to get the feel. Once you can fly one, the P3 or P2 will be so easy. Used to fly the X5C indoors and practice blowing out candles. Not easy as the currents from propwash and the candle keep you busy.

But the training of the little one will help in an emergency.

I was thinking of getting a Hubsan X4. Do you think the X5C is better to learn on?

I was thinking of getting a Hubsan X4. Do you think the X5C is better to learn on?
I had the Hubsan before this. Think it was the X4. Was great practice for the P3!

The Hubsan is way hearder to control but has the same control scheme as the P3. If you can get fairly comfortable with the Hubsan this will be a breeze when you get it!

Reactions: Raph
I would agree with more crashes on the P3 than previous units.

My guess would be that because of the increasing popularity of aerial photography and quadcopters, coupled with the relatively low entry price now ($1000 or whatever), we simply have a lot more people with the equipment. More people naturally will lead to more crashes.

I've never used the X5C, but I started on a Hubsan x4 and absolutely loved it. For me, it took about a month before I was comfortable with it, and then I moved to the P2 and it was an absolute breeze.

Reactions: Raph
You forgot to plug the cable to the phone/tablet? :)
You forgot to turn the tx on? :)

Glad it's okay
You got it on the first try. Transmitter was on but no cable present. Honestly! It was a great relief to discover this and it reinforces the need for a real checklist before flying. This is too expensive to lose, certainly right away.
I'll modify a saying I've heard in my career as a perfusionist. "There are those who (have pumped air) have crashed and then there are those who WILL crash." I never truly believed this as safety requires attention to detail and repetiing good practices.
This forum gives all of us the opportunity to find out what they are so I come back here every day to discover. One thing that is missing is a comprehensive manual for the pilot app, like a "dji Pilot App for Dummies"
Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: Reed L and Raph

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic