New to Drones: Programmable Flight Paths

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm getting into photogrammetry for CG and and thinking that drone flight would be a great option for those hard to reach projects. I know that several drones have a programmable flight path, but exactly how programmable is it?

FlightPath.png

In this image, if I wanted to take imagery of the particular section of a cliff face, would I be able to plot a flighpath in 3-dimensions (blue line)? I've seen 2d flight paths being plotted in youtube videos but I'm unsure about 3d.

Also, would I be able to programmatically control the roll/pitch/yaw of the camera along the path? Could I create focal points where the camera is always aiming at a specific area? Ideally, I'd pre-set a flight path (blue line) and a set of camera control points along that path (red line) and hit go.

Is something like this possible with professional-quality drones? Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Folks,

I'm getting into photogrammetry for CG and and thinking that drone flight would be a great option for those hard to reach projects. I know that several drones have a programmable flight path, but exactly how programmable is it?

View attachment 105453

In this image, if I wanted to take imagery of the particular section of a cliff face, would I be able to plot a flighpath in 3-dimensions (blue line)? I've seen 2d flight paths being plotted in youtube videos but I'm unsure about 3d.

Also, would I be able to programmatically control the roll/pitch/yaw of the camera along the path? Could I create focal points where the camera is always aiming at a specific area? Ideally, I'd pre-set a flight path (blue line) and a set of camera control points along that path (red line) and hit go.

Is something like this possible with professional-quality drones? Thanks so much for your help!

Here is something that will give you some of the information you need.

4 Steps for Making an Excellent 3D Model With a Drone

You can get very good point clouds and 3D models from drone captured images. The quality of the model depends on a lot of factors though.

Thanks GeneM. I'm already familiar with the photogrammetry process and software, but I need more information on how programmable I can be with a drone.

Thanks GeneM. I'm already familiar with the photogrammetry process and software, but I need more information on how programmable I can be with a drone.

Sorry about that. I misunderstood your post. With autopilots like AutoFlightLogics Autopilot or Litchi, you can program in altitudes and camera angles for your waypoints so you can have as complete control as is possible. Keep in mind though that if you fly your route and record your waypoints or program it on a computer, the GPS of the drone is only accurate enough to put the drone somewhere inside a 10 foot sphere of the position of your waypoint. That is only an issue if you are trying to hit a specific mark with you camera. It’s the same reason that even flying the same flight plan the images/video will not align exactly with previous flights.

I’m not entirely sure of the information you are looking for, but it is easy enough to track in CG for visualizations or import texture details into CG. If you can be a little more specific, I might be able to help. I have been doing production work for 30 years.

Reactions: jpbroomfield
There are several apps that help you to program flight paths for photogrammetry missions.
Look at DroneDeploy for starters.
Here it is flying a 32 acre site and collecting 245 images
Screenshot_2018-04-10-13-34-51-L.png

Litchi is the app you want go and search YouTube you will find lots about it there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers