New Sunhans 2w Dual Band Amps do NOT work...

Reaction score
Just want to give the crew a heads up that there is a major flaw in these amps. I just finished over a month of testing with two different sets from my vendor. (Not going to mention but they were awesome) Needless to say, it was determined they are not ready for prime time. I am shocked to see some companies still selling these.

The issue is with the 5.8ghz band. The first set of amps caused the signal to go haywire and I spent countless hours swapping cables, changing antennas, checking the R/C,etc..Sunhans admitted that there was an issue and sent out new ones and that did solve the fluctuations in the 5.8ghz band on my P4P. However, there is no gain in the 5.8ghz band now.

It’s like Sunhans could not fix the issue without causing the fluctuations so the just did away with trying to “boost” the 5.8ghz band. It’s very misleading to say they are offering a boosted dual band when they are really not. The 2.4 was indeed boosted and worked great but that was not really the point. Just an FYI...

Here are two flights with my P4P. Exact same time and place..

1st Flight was non boosted and only using the 4hawks Raptor XR Antenna connected directly to my RC in 5.8ghz only

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=GZdAxH

2nd Flight was boosted with the dual band amps and 4Hawks Raptor XR. I was running only in 5.8ghz. You will notice that the performance and distance actually went down. Enough said...

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=cNJTky

Interesting! Just wondering, are RF amplifiers legal on the frequencies we normally use? I’m not the RF Police but I would not risk losing my ham license with any of this. Also, how did you find out that the 5.8 band was the problem and that the problem was being intermittent? Very interesting info! Thanks for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF.

Interesting! Just wondering, are RF amplifiers legal on the frequencies we normally use? I’m not the RF Police but I would not risk losing my ham license with any of this. Also, how did you find out that the 5.8 band was the problem and that the problem was being intermittent? Very interesting info! Thanks for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF.

Have no idea my friend..I know that many a company sells amps for this hobby so my guess is it’s ok. I am hardly worried about it but thanks for the comments.

It was obvious that the 5.8ghz was on the fritz...Turn on DJI go and switch to 5.8ghz and it was all over the place..Could get maybe 500y before total disconnect..

Yeah, you have a tough problem to figure out. One that is acting up all the time than one like yours. You can’t find the cause and fix it. Hopefully you can avoid sending it back to DJI. That’s a nightmare!!!
Good luck.

Jim
WA5TEF

Yeah, you have a tough problem to figure out. One that is acting up all the time than one like yours. You can’t find the cause and fix it. Hopefully you can avoid sending it back to DJI. That’s a nightmare!!!
Good luck.

Jim
WA5TEF

It’s not DJI’s fault..It’s the Sunhans dual band amp..The dual band amps don’t work with the DJI phantom 4 Pro On 5.8ghz..We identified the problem and Sunhans admitted it. The amps are now tweaked where they don’t cause the fluttering, but they also don’t “boost” the 5.8ghz signal. So what’s the point of a dual band amp? There isn’t one so I returned the whole setup until they fix them. This was just last week so everyone out there who has these is not getting what they paid for..It’s just an FYI...

I confirm the new sunhans units do not work. I can get a better distance without them. What a shame
20180519_225806.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing