New owner of P3S - a few questions

So a little update from today. I still havent got any free time to go into the wilds, so I tested again in city center:

- set the shutter speed to 1/60 (double the fps) to check if there will be jello at such slow speed, and ofcourse the footage was overexposed, but when I checked it on my laptop later I couldnt see (yes, only the darkest objects we visible) any jello...so thats a very good sign if it really wasnt any-that means a ND filter will fix it for me.

- I went like 15-20m infront and went up for about 40m...the "weak signal" warning was coming and going, and the radio bars were full at one time, and 2/6 the next moment, so it wasnt very stable...at one moment the signal was lost and RTH activated-it came home safely, I canceled the RTH after it was like 5m from me at a safe altitude, just to test if RTH is working fine...which is a big relief.

The weekend I`ll test it in the open fields and will update again. Now I cant wait to get a ND filter :D

So a little update from today. I still havent got any free time to go into the wilds, so I tested again in city center:

- set the shutter speed to 1/60 (double the fps) to check if there will be jello at such slow speed, and ofcourse the footage was overexposed, but when I checked it on my laptop later I couldnt see (yes, only the darkest objects we visible) any jello...so thats a very good sign if it really wasnt any-that means a ND filter will fix it for me.

- I went like 15-20m infront and went up for about 40m...the "weak signal" warning was coming and going, and the radio bars were full at one time, and 2/6 the next moment, so it wasnt very stable...at one moment the signal was lost and RTH activated-it came home safely, I canceled the RTH after it was like 5m from me at a safe altitude, just to test if RTH is working fine...which is a big relief.

The weekend I`ll test it in the open fields and will update again. Now I cant wait to get a ND filter :D
If those filters fix your jello effect then that's great, but I really think you have another issue because you should have no jello even on auto. ND filters usually are use for the effect they have on your video of course and the added benefit of not showing your props in your image when moving forward at a fast rate. I know someone asked this before but I'm not sure if you answered, how many pins do you have supporting your gimball?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I`ll go to the company that sold the drone to its original buyer to check if the crack on the gimbla mount is causing the jello.

Although I have bigger problems: weak/lost signal. Today, for the first time I went our of the city to test, so far I flew a couple of times in city center and ofcourse there was strong interference and couldnt get it higher than 40m. So...I started it, and again-at 40-50m distance and 30-40 altitude it was losing signal-1/2 bars, and going in RTH :( I am very disappointed as its so much fun flying but I want to lift it atleast 80-100m otherwise its useless. I will ask them for new antennas or antenna modifiers cause I dont think thats right. On startup it said again STRONG interference,, wtf I was in middle of nowhere...there were powerlines/posts but I believe they were atleast 500-1000m away....

so I tried to go from 1.7.9 to 1.6.8 but didnt help-still losing signal. went back to 1.7.9 via dji go app-still losing at around 100m distance and going in rth...:(

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Guys having trouble with interference or not the craft not going very far. This is the main reason I did NOT get the standard. It does not have the light bridge Technology, which can get you out to about 3 miles in ideal conditions, but it's not about flying FAR, it's about having enough transmitter power to bust through all the interference. the P3 Advanced is only a couple of hundred more and you'll get everything DJI is famous for. Plus the Standard does not have the downward looking sonar. Just a thought for anyone trying to figure out which one to get, I think the P3 Advanced is the best bang for the buck.

I`ll go to the company that sold the drone to its original buyer to check if the crack on the gimbla mount is causing the jello.

Although I have bigger problems: weak/lost signal. Today, for the first time I went our of the city to test, so far I flew a couple of times in city center and ofcourse there was strong interference and couldnt get it higher than 40m. So...I started it, and again-at 40-50m distance and 30-40 altitude it was losing signal-1/2 bars, and going in RTH :( I am very disappointed as its so much fun flying but I want to lift it atleast 80-100m otherwise its useless. I will ask them for new antennas or antenna modifiers cause I dont think thats right. On startup it said again STRONG interference,, wtf I was in middle of nowhere...there were powerlines/posts but I believe they were atleast 500-1000m away....

You need the P3 Advanced!! exchange it if you can..... The standard does not have near the transmitter power. I'm sorry I know the feeling :(

Guys having trouble with interference or not the craft not going very far. This is the main reason I did NOT get the standard. It does not have the light bridge Technology, which can get you out to about 3 miles in ideal conditions, but it's not about flying FAR, it's about having enough transmitter power to bust through all the interference. the P3 Advanced is only a couple of hundred more and you'll get everything DJI is famous for. Plus the Standard does not have the downward looking sonar. Just a thought for anyone trying to figure out which one to get, I think the P3 Advanced is the best bang for the buck.
It's more than $200. It used to be $300. more for the P3A (499 vs 799), but now even on the DJI site it's just $399. (399 vs 799) $400 more.

so I tried to go from 1.7.9 to 1.6.8 but didnt help-still losing signal. went back to 1.7.9 via dji go app-still losing at around 100m distance and going in rth...:(

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I say there is an issue with your R/C / A/C. There is nothing wrong with the standard. I take off from my front lawn and I have power lines 10 metres away from take-off point, probably 5 metres high surrounding my house, never had an issue with interference. I fly without mods and get 500-600m. I think 966 was my record before RTH kicked in. It was flying over agricultural area, tress/vines etc. So there is no need to buy the advanced (if you don't want to), just get DJI to fix your drone.

It's more than $200. It used to be $300. more for the P3A (499 vs 799), but now even on the DJI site it's just $399. (399 vs 799) $400 more.
Sorry, I was wrong!! I must have seen it on sale someplace, but they are truly two different machines, with the light bridge and the Sonar sensors and the micro camera on the bottom. It's really the light bridge technology. The Standard has come down in price as well!! I still think for $300 you get the real deal compared to a toy grade type model, and I think you'd be glad you spent the $300. But again I'm sorry I had the prices wrong. Best of luck to you! You can get boosters for the standard. One simple one is a parabolic Antenna. Just look on amazon.com they are anywhere from $12.00 - $30.00 for a metal one with a case, and they do make a big difference! I use one on my Phantom 3 P. You can also see youtube vidoes with range tests using them.

Although I have bigger problems: weak/lost signal. Today, for the first time I went our of the city to test, so far I flew a couple of times in city center and of course there was strong interference and couldn't get it higher than 40m. So...I started it, and again-at 40-50m distance and 30-40 altitude it was losing signal-1/2 bars, and going in RTH :( I am very disappointed as its so much fun flying but I want to lift it at least 80-100m otherwise its useless. I will ask them for new antennas or antenna modifiers cause I don't think that's right. On startup it said again STRONG interference, wtf I was in middle of nowhere...there were powerlines/posts but I believe they were at least 500-1000m away....
Was the drone still on concrete? I get the same thing when it's sitting on concrete anywhere. I guess it's the rebar in the concrete. I have a P3P

Sorry, I was wrong!! I must have seen it on sale someplace, but they are truly two different machines, with the light bridge and the Sonar sensors and the micro camera on the bottom. It's really the light bridge technology. The Standard has come down in price as well!! I still think for $300 you get the real deal compared to a toy grade type model, and I think you'd be glad you spent the $300. But again I'm sorry I had the prices wrong. Best of luck to you! You can get boosters for the standard. One simple one is a parabolic Antenna. Just look on amazon.com they are anywhere from $12.00 - $30.00 for a metal one with a case, and they do make a big difference! I use one on my Phantom 3 P. You can also see youtube vidoes with range tests using them.
I actually agree with you, if I knew then what I know now I would have bought the P3A. I have since added a DBS mod powered by three amps and have gone over 4000 meters (about 2.5 miles), I could have gone more but I turned around. Not bad for a "toy grade type model" as you put it. But a $400 to $500. drone is not a toy. That's like saying all the P2's are toys too? Now those are fighting words, lol.

I actually agree with you, if I knew then what I know now I would have bought the P3A. I have since added a DBS mod powered by three amps and have gone over 4000 meters (about 2.5 miles), I could have gone more but I turned around. Not bad for a "toy grade type model" as you put it. But a $400 to $500. drone is not a toy. That's like saying all the P2's are toys too? Now those are fighting words, lol.
Ok again I apologize.. here's the root of my frustration. I have a small business www.arisedrone.com, and like everything in life people ONLY call me AFTER they have crashed etc. I've had two Police Officers call me from the Best Buy after buying the standard and I told them to go back in and return it based on their needs that they told me. They needed to go into homes to clear a house and so it had to be stable without GPS so they needed the bottom unit. For $150 AFTER and not required to get a FREE 1 Hour consult from me I could save them hundred of dollars just telling them what accessories they need and where they can get them cheap, make sure they set the return to home Altitude, calibrate the thing, or where they can get the copter cheap, it's like I see these guys with a 6 foot iPhone cable between the iPad and controller that they paid $29.00 for when they should be using a 1 foot cable made by Anker that is made with kevlar, with a 6,000 bend test and 18 month warranty and it cost $8.99. It just frustrates me that people won't take the time to do more research or just pay a little for someone to cut their learning curve. Truth be told if they would call me they would get everything they need to know in the FREE 1 hour consult, so again I'm sorry for calling it a "Toy-Grade" BTW I just purchased a drone for my 8-year-old daughter for about 100 bucks that has GPS and return to home!!! It's' a Hubsan X4 Desire. Now I've never seen a drone with GPS and RTH for under $300... Prices are falling. I'm holding out until I can get one with 360-degree obstetrical avoidance. I've like the Mavic Pro with that. So I figure it's just a matter of time.

guys, thank you for your replies, but I think Im not making myself clear, so I will try again:

I understand the different ND filters affect the brightness of the shot differently - ND8 making it darker than ND4, etc. allowing slower shutter speed. I got this.

What Im asking is, will the type of jello visible here:

be eliminated by an ND filter and what is the maximum shutter speed that I have to use to avoid having jello (this will help me decide which ND filter to buy)..should I follow the rule of shutter speed being twice the framerate?
Im aasking because good filters are expensive and I dont want to waste my money if they will not eliminate the jello.
Umm. I don't understand why jello would be present using a filter vs without.
Excuse me for asking but is your video recorded from your wifi on the phone or from the SD card? Only asking because wifi playback looks similar.

so a BIG update...I managed to return this P3S to the owner and get my full money back...what an a$$hole, still denying there were problems whit it...there was even a crack on the camera X-formed holder that connects to the drone, and he said "what crack, there is no crack" lol I sent him a pic too. I hope he doesnt fcuk someone else up and keep his problematic unit to himself.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT