New gimbal issue

Reaction score
Hello. I have repaired my p3 advanced after a big crash. Mother board was broken, gps is out, but gimbal seems to be ok. But the problem i never seen on the web is when I turn on the drone , the gimbal goes through its range of motion test and then slides exactly 90 degrees left (left when facing the camera lens). The camera then stays in this position and working perfectly. Even after calibrating the IMU and gimbal calibrations and compass calibrations, the camera points left 90 degrees. How is it possible ? Is it possible to adjust yaw motor shaft ?
Thank you if you have some ideas.
Franck

Hello. I have repaired my p3 advanced after a big crash. Mother board was broken, gps is out, but gimbal seems to be ok. But the problem i never seen on the web is when I turn on the drone , the gimbal goes through its range of motion test and then slides exactly 90 degrees left (left when facing the camera lens). The camera then stays in this position and working perfectly. Even after calibrating the IMU and gimbal calibrations and compass calibrations, the camera points left 90 degrees. How is it possible ? Is it possible to adjust yaw motor shaft ?
Thank you if you have some ideas.
Franck
Welcome.

You can try to loosen this screw and make an adjustment if it's not already on the flat side of the shaft. Good luck.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
May be the set screw is loose on the yaw motor. adjust the gap and tighten the set screw.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You think of the 3 screws on the motor ?
Yes they are tightened. To see where the gimbal is moving i need to remove the cover of the gimbal. If i don't remove it the gimbal is moving to the left and stop on the cover as you replied on the other post. You see what i mean ? Sorry i'm french.

Hi. Here is a movie showing the problem. Hope this help. Under cover of the gimbal is removed to let the gimbal working completly.

Hi. Here is a movie showing the problem. Hope this help. Under cover of the gimbal is removed to let the gimbal working completly.
Interesting. I see that you are missing the bottom piece of the camera/gimbal mount and have it held in place with bands. That missing piece has a physical stop for the camera rotation.
Also, have you tried loosening the screw, turning both the shaft and the camera so that it's correct, and then tightening the screw again? Correct being camera facing straight forward and flat side of shaft being on the right while the Phantom is facing you. It just looks like you didn't have it aligned when you put it all back together during your rebuild.

Last edited:
Thank you Oso for your reply. Yes the bottom piece is removed to let the gimbal move correctly and don't stop on the physical stop. If i install the bottom, the gimbal is hitting the stop and stay on it. Which screw you tell about ? the screw on the photo i posted above ? if i turn the shaft with the screw loosened, it will not be on the flat side of the shaft. Correct ?

Thank you Oso for your reply. Yes the bottom piece is removed to let the gimbal move correctly and don't stop on the physical stop. If i install the bottom, the gimbal is hitting the stop and stay on it. Which screw you tell about ? the screw on the photo i posted above ? if i turn the shaft with the screw loosened, it will not be on the flat side of the shaft. Correct ?
Yes that screw. I suggested loosening the screw, turning both the shaft and the camera so that they are both correct, and then tightening the screw again? Correct being camera facing straight forward and flat side of shaft being on the right while the Phantom is facing you. It just looks like you didn't have it aligned when you put it all back together during your rebuild.

For example - loosen the screw. Turn the camera so it's facing forward. Then turn the shaft so that the flat side is facing to the right. Then tighten the screw.

What I don't know for sure is if the ribbon cable needs to be wrapped a certain way since I have never had mine apart. I'm just saying what I would try first myself if my shaft and camera were both out of alignment as I see in your photo and video.

Last edited:
Hi oso. I have no other way to turn shaft and camera as they are on the same arm with motors on it. The only way for me is to misaligne the screw on the flat side of the yaw motor. But if i do that, i make a mistake. What do you think ?
I will post an other video today to explain that. :)

I'm speculating here. The magnetic washer on the yaw motor shaft (red arrow in photo) provides position feedback to the hall effect sensor (the chip with the red dot painted on it). Has your washer been knocked 90 degrees around to the side? I've never tried to twist mine though so don't break it!
gimbal_yaw_washer.png

Hello. That was the good solution :)
The magnet on the shat was not at the right position.
I removed the glue of the ring by heating the shaft. And carefully removed the ring. Turn it to 90 degrees and try it. After another little degrees now the camera is perfectly aligned ! See the photo of the ring. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20170104_221933.jpg
    IMG_20170104_221933.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 397
Reactions: Oso
Hello. Today was the first flight after the big crash and everything is good. To remember, i changed the mother board, and the gps. But, i have no range with the video and photos. When the phantom is at 10 meters far from me, the app on my smartphone says "no camera video, return home ?"
It seems that i have no power on the antenna for the video ? on the other hand, i can control the phantom without any problems.

What could i check ? now ?
:(

Hello. After checking and checking. I think the problem is coming from.the gimbal or the controller of the camera. Even i put my tx and galaxy tab just near the phantom when i want to take a picture i have to wait ten seconds before the diji app is usable and when i want to take a video the screen is gray and no video is recorded. What do you think about it ? The HD gauge on the.app is ok.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovesparesdirectuk