New Drone Law

My closing suggestion to @CooperstownFlyer would be, your local officials appear to acting with reasonable approach in what they're attempting to do there. Having actual experience with and a vested interest in the sport, you might want to consider approaching them, talk with them about the sport, and maybe use your own personal experience to help them in crafting legislation that accomplishes what they want, but also helps to provide drone pilots with as much unrestricted freedom as possible. I think it's worth a shot. Who knows, they may be looking for input from drone pilots like yourself.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
Thank everyone for your input. Cooperstown does try and be welcoming to our visitors and our local Village Board is primarily concerned with their safety. I have appeared before the Board, circulated information and generally have tried to provide input to their decision-making. They do have the legal ability to regulate their property through zoning regulations. I do have a problem with the "special event" prohibition, but can understand their anxiety and concern with large events. While FAA regulations would easily cover these, the local authorities want more local control and aren't afraid of passing redundant laws.

Thank everyone for your input. Cooperstown does try and be welcoming to our visitors and our local Village Board is primarily concerned with their safety. I have appeared before the Board, circulated information and generally have tried to provide input to their decision-making. They do have the legal ability to regulate their property through zoning regulations. I do have a problem with the "special event" prohibition, but can understand their anxiety and concern with large events. While FAA regulations would easily cover these, the local authorities want more local control and aren't afraid of passing redundant laws.
You have mentioned the zoning laws several times. Are you sure that the zoning laws cover the public right of way (streets, sidewalks, etc)?

In Virginia, the zoning laws specifically do not apply in the public right of way. They only apply on physical parcels of land. So while a locality might regulate something (like signage or the design of buildings or permitted uses) on a piece of property (public or private), the zoning laws cannot be applied to the right of way. That function typically falls to another entity (public works, engineering dept., etc).

Hi everyone, Our Village Board is proposing a new drone law that prohibits take offs/landings and any control of a drone from all Village property. This means parks, streets, sidewalks etc. They also propose a 1 mile complete prohibition around any designated “special events” of 200 people or more. This law is an addition to their already strict zoning regulations; an innovative approach. Thoughts?
Looks like this law excludes private property so you can take off from your yard, or any persons yard that grants you permission. They have a similar law in Santa Monica, CA. Found out the hard way when a cop told me I couldn't take off from the sidewalk next to the beach. I went across the street and paid a private parking lot 5 bucks to allow me to park and fly from there. The cop wasn't happy, but nothing he could do about it.

That is EXACTLY how it should be handled. It is a fair way to enjoy the hobby while keeping everyone safe. I believe when most hear "law" or "regulation" we tend to think "us against them" when it is more about safe and fair practice.

Reactions: BigAl07
Looks like this law excludes private property so you can take off from your yard, or any persons yard that grants you permission. They have a similar law in Santa Monica, CA. Found out the hard way when a cop told me I couldn't take off from the sidewalk next to the beach. I went across the street and paid a private parking lot 5 bucks to allow me to park and fly from there. The cop wasn't happy, but nothing he could do about it.

I wanted to fly in Santa Monica, but on looking it up in the city ordinances, I found it is a misdemeanor crime to fly a drone on the beach there. Of course we understand local communities cannot control airspace, but as you ran up against, if you take off from a public space you could be arrested. Great solution to pay the parking attendant! At least the cop was savvy enough to understand the fine details of airspace rights if launching from a private parking lot.

genius

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez