New Canadian Drone Licences

Reaction score
With all the news about people now needing drone licenses has anyone taken the test? If so, how hard is it and what kind of test questions are asked.

I’ve been trying to find a “study guide” before taking it but can’t seem to find anything.

I wrote and passed the Basic Operator's Certificate yesterday.
35 multiple choice questions and 90 minutes to complete the test.
I found at least a half dozen of the questions vaguely worded and others offered possible answers where 2 of the 4 were acceptable.
65% is the pass mark and with just 35 questions in the areas of: communication, flight planning, terminology, laws, weather, and propulsion systems, it doesn't many incorrect answers for you to be close to the wire. I would absolutely advise you to study before taking the test.
Transport Canada's Drone Management portal has a study guide;however, at this point there is no practice test available.
Good luck! :)

I wrote and passed the Basic Operator's Certificate yesterday.
35 multiple choice questions and 90 minutes to complete the test.
I found at least a half dozen of the questions vaguely worded and others offered possible answers where 2 of the 4 were acceptable.
65% is the pass mark and with just 35 questions in the areas of: communication, flight planning, terminology, laws, weather, and propulsion systems, it doesn't many incorrect answers for you to be close to the wire. I would absolutely advise you to study before taking the test.
Transport Canada's Drone Management portal has a study guide;however, at this point there is no practice test available.
Good luck! :)

Where did you find the “study guide” as all I could find was a document stating “what I should know” to pass the test but no real information within it. There were things like “I will be able to demonstrate who can ask to see your licence” etc. but there was no section with all the specific info.

Also, for the 10.00 I thought what the hell, let’s give it a shot and see what happens before I try to study any of it.....I scored 63%!!! That being said, I can’t for the life of me figure out why, as a basic licences drone operator, I need to know about how variable pitch rotor blades work and how far VHF radio signals can travel!! That seems QUITE ridiculous and EXTREME overkill IMO...you are going to make it so people just decide it’s easier to fly without a licence or get out all together!!!

Reactions: lasersbee
Where did you find the “study guide” as all I could find was a document stating “what I should know” to pass the test but no real information within it. There were things like “I will be able to demonstrate who can ask to see your licence” etc. but there was no section with all the specific info.

Also, for the 10.00 I thought what the hell, let’s give it a shot and see what happens before I try to study any of it.....I scored 63%!!! That being said, I can’t for the life of me figure out why, as a basic licences drone operator, I need to know about how variable pitch rotor blades work and how far VHF radio signals can travel!! That seems QUITE ridiculous and EXTREME overkill IMO...you are going to make it so people just decide it’s easier to fly without a license or get out all together!!!
I agree that there were questions relating to Commercial Pilots exams that
were irrelevant IMO. Why would I need to know the distance and compass direction from one Alberta town to another Alberta town or the magnetic inclination of a Manitoba town. I fly in Quebec on my own land away from people and airports.
I got my license but not by much. The test was NOT designed for the average safe RC pilot that is also a member of the MAAC for over 35 years.

Did mine, there are questions that are totally irrelevant to flying drones. Really stupid.
Example: you need to know aviation frequencies and where to find a particular control tower's.
Not difficult, just irrelevant, you can Google every question and there is plenty of time.

Only the good guys will have license / be legal, no different than guns....
4956.jpg

Not difficult, just irrelevant, you can Google every question and there is plenty of time.

I’ll definitely do it different when I try next. I wrote it the first time in 30 min and did not use Google for any of it.....likely why I just barely failed!!!

Reactions: Capt. Joe
Did mine, there are questions that are totally irrelevant to flying drones. Really stupid.
Example: you need to know aviation frequencies and where to find a particular control tower's.

Only the good guys will have license / be legal, no different than guns....
View attachment 107505
" you can Google every question " ?????

Kinda defeats the purpose if you cheat.
Kind of defeats the purpose of testing for flying a drone when no question was in the test about distances you must keep from people, animals and buildings, but they had questions about what frequency air traffic control uses!! - that has nothing to do with drones!
Questions regarding what up or down drafts are caused by what weather systems? - are you kidding me!!! I am flying a 2 pound drone, do you think I can feel, hear or see any wind conditions, as if I was sitting in the aircraft?!
Questions about NOTAM and where to subscribe to the notices and how to interpret them! Come on! Drone flying boys are NOT AIRMAN! If you are a boater, you may know all about Notice To Mariners but not Notice To Air Men ('NOTAM').
Then the question regarding the allowed altitude could not be anymore messed up, since the current rules only allow us to 300' but after June 1st you are allowed 400', so for those taking the test before June 1st, the question is uncertain and vague.
I am a 100 ton Unlimited Oceans USCG Master, so I could answer the meteorological questions, but I had no clue as to what frequency I would use for air traffic. Marine traffic, yes, but not air.....
I have been flying nitro fueled huge collective pitch RC helicopters at sea and over terrain for more than 20 years, so believe me a little Google searching did not make me any less clued in to what is safe and what is stupid......

Last edited:
questions about what frequency air traffic control uses!! - that has nothing to do with drones!

Really?

Perhaps you should re read the rules regarding drone flight in controlled airspace or near an Airport/Heliport, you must have ROC a certification and know how to communicate with local tower.
Furthermore TC determines if you need to file a NOTAM with regard to your specific operation.
Drone flying boys are NOT AIRMAN!

Wrong again!

If you are piloting any RPAS you are considered PIC and are held to the same rules and regulations as any pilot...

Really?

Perhaps you should re read the rules regarding drone flight in controlled airspace or near an Airport/Heliport, you must have ROC a certification and know how to communicate with local tower.
Furthermore TC determines if you need to file a NOTAM with regard to your specific operation

Actually, flying in controlled airspace requiring you to communicate with ATC and filing a flight plan is advanced ops and has no business being on the basic exam....which is what we are talking about

To everyone who has posted on this..........

Please see my comments in the Rules and Regulations Section.......

Here, I would say that the Advanced Certification Exam with its 50 multiple choice questions, 60 minute time limit and 80% pass mark is tough and very challenging.
No doubt.
I have written this test and I know others who have as well and we all agree there are at least 5 or 6 questions on this exam that have zero relation to the safe and responsible flying of your Phantom.
One question I got dealt with the name for some obscure meteorological event that even a highly experienced pilot wouldn't know.
I can say this because, after the exam, I asked a friend of mine with thousands of hours of corporate jet time and multiple trans Atlantic crossings this same question.

He had no clue. :( And he agreed the question had no place on the exam.

These 5 or 6 obscure questions become important because in order to pass you need to get 40 of the 50 questions correct to achieve the 80% required.
These 5 or 6 questions can easily tip the balance against a successful outcome.

I certainly feel these Transport Canada Drone Pilot Certification Exams should be challenging;however, all the questions should be relevant and contribute to the safe and responsible operation of your Phantom.
At this point, it sure looks as though these obscure questions are on the exam to decrease the number of successful applicants.

Really?

Furthermore TC determines if you need to file a NOTAM with regard to your specific operation.

Wrong again!

If you are piloting any RPAS you are considered PIC and are held to the same rules and regulations as any pilot...
You're kidding right? Or you are just nuts!
I was writing the "basic" ticket and you know it!

Last edited:
To everyone who has posted on this..........

Please see my comments in the Rules and Regulations Section.......

Here, I would say that the Advanced Certification Exam with its 50 multiple choice questions, 60 minute time limit and 80% pass mark is tough and very challenging.
No doubt.
I have written this test and I know others who have as well and we all agree there are at least 5 or 6 questions on this exam that have zero relation to the safe and responsible flying of your Phantom.
One question I got dealt with the name for some obscure meteorological event that even a highly experienced pilot wouldn't know.
I can say this because, after the exam, I asked a friend of mine with thousands of hours of corporate jet time and multiple trans Atlantic crossings this same question.

He had no clue. :( And he agreed the question had no place on the exam.

These 5 or 6 obscure questions become important because in order to pass you need to get 40 of the 50 questions correct to achieve the 80% required.
These 5 or 6 questions can easily tip the balance against a successful outcome.

I certainly feel these Transport Canada Drone Pilot Certification Exams should be challenging;however, all the questions should be relevant and contribute to the safe and responsible operation of your Phantom.
At this point, it sure looks as though these obscure questions are on the exam to decrease the number of successful applicants.
Thank you for an intelligent reply, unlike some.....

With respect to these 'obscure questions' that are on the Transport Canada Advanced Drone Operator's Certificate exam, I would certainly expect these exams to be 'adjusted' shortly.
I feel the criticism being generated as a result these odd and not relevant questions appearing on the exam is justified.
Calculating the maximum rotational speed of an electric motor has what to do with the safe and responsible operation of your Phantom?! :(

Another......

'How do you say Noon Eastern Standard Time on the 16th day of a month on your VHF Aviation radio?'

Seriously.

And these questions have what to do with the safe and responsible operation of your Phantom?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic