Neighborhood flying..

I fly in my development constantly. Most neighbors are cool with it, except one crazy mom. She came knocking on my door asking me if im the person with the drone. I told her I was and asked whay I could do for her. She informs me her son claims it was flying outside his window. I informed her 1. I don't know who she is, 2. I don't know where she lives and 3. I keep a digital record of all flights including altitude, location, time etc and that if she and her little angel wanted to view the fight record, she would see it was nowhere near her house. Possibly 150 ft above it but can't do much about that. She proceeds to call me a fuc*ing pervert and threatens to call the police if she sees it again. I bring it to the door and show it to her so she sees it again and offer to call the police for her. I'll show the flight recordings from healthy drone and let them ask her any she's filing false police reports. She then starts screaming and demands I fly somewhere else. I inform her Im registered to fly, maintain under 400 ft and not within 5 miles of an airport. I tell her she should perhaps set up camp near the runway as drones can't fly there. Other then that, call the police. I have my flight records with location, altitude and can even play a flight simulation over Google maps.

An hour later, I'm flying (yeah, I knew she would see it, hell, I made sure of it). She drove by and called me a pervert again. I told her I was nominating her for mother of the year.

People are crazy.
Mother of the year - classic

See if you can get a copy of the local ordinance that bans them. There have also been many posts here stating the only the FAA can do that sort of thing. But the legal and court fees may not be worth the hassle. And/or the police may simply be wrong.

I live near Atlanta and have full written permission to fly in the local parks of my town, as well as in Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of NYC's Central Park). Maybe all you need to do is sit down with city's legal dept. for a quiet chat!

You fly at piedmont park and still have your drone? With all the crime in that area im surprised you havent been mugged yet.

Reactions: Sabalon
How many people have been killed,maimed,or just received a bad bite from a dog in all the parks in the U.S. yearly? But are dogs still allowed in all parks? Yep! Drone deaths and / or injuries to park patrons?
Dogs are banned in all National Parks, outside of the parking lots.
Dogs in all other parks (except for enclosed, off leash Dog Parks specifically for off leash dogs) are required by law to be leashed and under the walker's control.
People who are letting their dogs run loose in parks to kill, maim, or bite others are in violation of the law and responsible for any damages their dog does - just as a rogue drone operator would be.

Dogs are banned in all National Parks, outside of the parking lots.
Dogs in all other parks (except for enclosed, off leash Dog Parks specifically for off leash dogs) are required by law to be leashed and under the walker's control.
People who are letting their dogs run loose in parks to kill, maim, or bite others are in violation of the law and responsible for any damages their dog does - just as a rogue drone operator would be.
Still waiting for a 'rogue drone' death. In 6 months, maybe less, you could be required to do a breathalyzer when caught flying your drone. If it needs to be registered, you could be cited for flying an aircraft while... well, you know. Breathalyzer while walking your 90 lb. Pit Bull? Probably not. Just sayin. Don't hate. They've turned my hobby of years into a political ****-fest.

Still waiting for a 'rogue drone' death. In 6 months, maybe less, you could be required to do a breathalyzer when caught flying your drone. If it needs to be registered, you could be cited for flying an aircraft while... well, you know. Breathalyzer while walking your 90 lb. Pit Bull? Probably not. Just sayin. Don't hate. They've turned my hobby of years into a political ****-fest.
Ok.
As the owner of 2 registered 75 lb dogs, and a registered drone pilot who flies a variety of RC aircraft, I still enjoy both walking my dogs and flying my drones and fixed wings.
Public intoxication is already illegal, whether flying in a park or walking a dog.
Sorry you are having a difficult time enjoying your hobby.

Yes .. cities, towns, municipalities can outlaw UAS. Washington, DC .. NFZ. Metro NYC .. NFZ, Syracuse, NY .. NFZ. Is it legal for them to do it? Not according to the FAA .. well, not so much a case of illegality. The FAA is "stating".
"Substantial air safety issues are raised when state or local governments attempt to regulate the operation or flight of aircraft. If one or two municipalities enacted ordinances regulating UAS in the navigable airspace and a significant number of municipalities followed suit, fractionalized control of the navigable airspace could result."
www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/UAS_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf
What's important here is that while this is all being worked out, municipalities will continue to pass ordinances banning UAS and people will be warned or arrested. Fly a UAS onto the White House lawn? NFZ. Fly a UAS into the Empire State Building .. NFZ. Pilots and their antics will steer what the FAA 'eventually' does.
"780 incidents of drones flying too close to commercial aircraft between January 2015 and August 2015, three times as many as reported in all of 2014. That includes one incident last March at the Portland International Jetport. Consumers purchased an estimated 700,000 drones in 2015, according to the Consumer Technology Association, so close calls with aircraft and people on the ground could become more common in 2016."
FAA to states, cities: Back away from the drone (regulations) | BDN Maine
"In late 2014, for example, California passed a law banning the use of drones to record the images and voices of people who did not give their permission for it. In New York State, several laws are pending to curtail certain types of SUAV activity. On the local government level, the City Councils of New York City, Phoenix, Arizona and a handful other cities are considering legislation to ban all commercial drone operations..."
City Mayors: Drones over US cities

Ok.
As the owner of 2 registered 75 lb dogs, and a registered drone pilot who flies a variety of RC aircraft, I still enjoy both walking my dogs and flying my drones and fixed wings.
Public intoxication is already illegal, whether flying in a park or walking a dog.
Sorry you are having a difficult time enjoying your hobby.

'As the owner of 2 registered 75 lb dogs'. What breed of dogs? Are ALL dog owners's dogs registered?
'Public intoxication is already illegal, whether flying in a park or walking a dog.' Even 30 miles out in the desert? 60 miles? I'm out in the desert 60 miles from anyone and I can't fly my Quad after 3 beers? Don't hate... Just askin.

I'd say you're free to do whatever you want so long as it does not endanger other persons or properties (libertarian).
(Intoxicated desert flying might fall into this description ;))

On the other hand society has created laws and implemented consequences for actions and situations 'it' deems undesirable.
So continuing to do so is at your own peril.

'As the owner of 2 registered 75 lb dogs'. What breed of dogs? Are ALL dog owners's dogs registered?
'Public intoxication is already illegal, whether flying in a park or walking a dog.' Even 30 miles out in the desert? 60 miles? I'm out in the desert 60 miles from anyone and I can't fly my Quad after 3 beers? Don't hate... Just askin.

"What breed of dogs? Are ALL dog owners's dogs registered?"

Greyhounds. No, not all dog owners register their dogs. Depending on where you live you may not be required to register them. If you mean are each registerd individually, yes, they are. Thinking of getting a dog are you?

"Even 30 miles out in the desert?" Are you out in public? Then the answer is Yes.

"Even 60 miles out in the desert?"
Are you out in public? Then the answer is Yes.

"I'm out in the desert 60 miles from anyone and I can't fly my Quad after 3 beers?"
I don't know. Does three beers intoxicate you? Not knowing how well you fly sober, I really can't make a judgement call on whether or not you'd be able to fly after only 3 beers.
If you are wondering whether it is legal to fly after 3 beers, again, depends on your level of intoxication.
Lets use some common sense; If you are drunk and in the middle of the desert and no one is around, fly to your heart's content. If you hit a nomad's baby in the middle of the desert and put the baby's eye out, yes you will probably be charged with public intoxication and reckless endangerment. Chances of that happening..... **** slim.

"Don't hate... Just askin." It takes more than silly questions to make me hate. You're good.

Last edited:
"What breed of dogs? Are ALL dog owners's dogs registered?"
Greyhounds. No, not all dog owners register their dogs. Depending on where you live you may not be required to register them. If you mean are each registerd individually, yes, they are. Thinking of getting a dog are you?

"Even 30 miles out in the desert?" Are you out in public? Then the answer is Yes.

"Even 30 miles out in the desert?"
Are you out in public? Then the answer is Yes.

"I'm out in the desert 60 miles from anyone and I can't fly my Quad after 3 beers?"
I don't know. Does three beers intoxicate you? Not knowing how well you fly sober, I really can't make a judgement call on whether or not you'd be able to fly after only 3 beers.
If you are wondering whether it is legal to fly after 3 beers, again, depends on your level of intoxication.
Lets use some common sense; If you are drunk and in the middle of the desert and no one is around, fly to your heart's content. If you hit a nomad's baby in the middle of the desert and put the baby's eye out, yes you will probably be charged with public intoxication and reckless endangerment. Chances of that happening..... **** slim.

"Don't hate... Just askin." It takes more than silly questions to make me hate. You're good.
There are no silly questions.

But little Johnny down the street can fly his cheap drone and it's "Oh isn't that just the cutest thing?" I felt like saying, "Well maybe I don't wanna see your white rump in a bathing suit 3 times too small for you while you sunbathe out back! I have kids ya know..and they don't need to see a rhino wearing a bikini while eating dinner on the deck!"

THAT made me laugh!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic