Need ability to take very clear still shots

Reaction score
I was very disappointed when I learned that the majority of this still photographs taken with drones, were taken from a very high altitude or from a distance. I was hoping I could sneak up on large birds, such as rosette spoonbills and get a good clear photos or fly along side of them and get some action photos. I’m a professional wildlife photographer and my photos need to be immaculate. Due to severe back problems, I’m not able to sneak up on the birds like I used to.

I suppose another option would be to carry my camera with the drone and take pictures. With batteries it weighs roughly 4 pounds and costs about $1500. Some shots would be over salt water or swamps. A crash would be rather costly.

Any ideas, guys?

Carlos

Any ideas, guys?

Consider that a Phantom sounds like a weed wacker and can't be used to sneak up undetected on a bird?

Also consider that it's not practical to fly along close to bird with something that the lightest impact could cause it to crash.

A drone does not sound like the tool you are looking for.

Welcome @Carlosh11934, Sneaking up on feeding or resting large birds is not an easy thing to do with a drone. Without bringing any ethical or environmental concerns into this you will find that drones are loud enough and create a lot of air disturbance that most birds will not tolerate them. It is not impossible and many people do have good images.

You are going to need some sort zoom or telephoto lens to be able to capture the images you mention and that is still going to be tough. To do that you will need a camera capable of using interchangeable lenses. You may want to look at the Inspire 1 with an X5 camera or Inspire 2 with an X5S camera. Both carry a M4/3rds camera with a variety of available lenses. The longest "approved" focal length is 45mm which equates to a 90mm full frame sensor, which might still be marginal for wildlife closeups. Others have used longer focal length lenses which have been adapted to the cameras with good results.

In time you will get used to flying over water and swamps, crashes seem to more rare than they were when this industry started out. It does happen and the results of a dip into salt water is usually the end of the drone.

I was very disappointed when I learned that the majority of this still photographs taken with drones, were taken from a very high altitude or from a distance. I was hoping I could sneak up on large birds, such as rosette spoonbills and get a good clear photos or fly along side of them and get some action photos. I’m a professional wildlife photographer and my photos need to be immaculate. Due to severe back problems, I’m not able to sneak up on the birds like I used to.

I suppose another option would be to carry my camera with the drone and take pictures. With batteries it weighs roughly 4 pounds and costs about $1500. Some shots would be over salt water or swamps. A crash would be rather costly.
Unfortunately a drone is not going to be any help for what you want to do.
As already mentioned, the noise would disturb birds well before you were in photo range.
You would need a telephoto lens and drones just don't have the ability to carry a tele lens or hold it still enough.
The standard lenses on drones are very wideangle (20-24 mm equivalent)
If you spend big dollars, the best you could come up with is still only going the be able to shoot a very short tele lens (like a portrait lens)

I am happy you did mention the ethical and legal concerns. Maybe Carlos would benifit from a little more info. As he says he is a wildlife photographer, I would think he would understand the issues with using a drone of lesser cost than and Inspire would disrupt wildlife in a way that is not permitted.

I am happy you did mention the ethical and legal concerns. Maybe Carlos would benifit from a little more info. As he says he is a wildlife photographer, I would think he would understand the issues with using a drone of lesser cost than and Inspire would disrupt wildlife in a way that is not permitted.
Inspire or Phantom makes no difference.
Neither is a suitable tool for bird photography.

Reactions: Yenrab
I think the higher end drones like studios and researcher use to do wildlike photography could be used. Some drones are made to attach higher end DSLRs and shoot videos and stills. With image stabilization, tracking and those amazing gimbals, I can't imagine it can't be done. Yes much higher cost is envolved but it can be donw. Look as some to the wildlife videos on youtube and netflix.

I think the higher end drones like studios and researcher use to do wildlike photography could be used. Some drones are made to attach higher end DSLRs and shoot videos and stills. With image stabilization, tracking and those amazing gimbals, I can't imagine it can't be done. Yes much higher cost is envolved but it can be donw. Look as some to the wildlife videos on youtube and netflix.
You need a long (heavy) lens to shoot birds.
You can't use a long lens on any affordable drone.
There are lots of great wildlife film makers out there and they are making great use of drones nowdays (just check Blue Planet 2).
But I'd be surprised if they are doing any bird photography with drones.
A drone would be about the worst possible tool to use for bird photography.

How about this on an Inspire?

This camera is great for certain things in the industrial market but it's resolution is not adequate for nature photography.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel