NBC's Stringwire App: stream your aerial footage...

Reaction score
Hi all,

I didn't find any post on this forum regarding this new app for iOS and Andoid so I started one.

STRINGWIRE: https://www.stringwire.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/stringwire
This app (for iOS at the moment only in the US iTunes Store) lets you stream live aerial footage to a Stringwire Channel.

I did not test it yet but it's promising.

There's a lady called Emily Murray ([email protected]) who can tell you exactly how to get your aerial footage streamed live with your P2V+.

Regards,
J-P.

Last edited:
Emily sent me a PDF file and the below additionals (for iOS devices):

1. Upgrade your DJI to the latest firmware
2. Before connecting a DJI to Stringwire for the first time, you must launch the Stringwire app using a standard internet connection (cellular or WiFi) and enter the streaming screen, by tapping on "My Channel" from the "Broadcast Live Video" screen.
3. Next connect your iOS device to the DJI WiFi network in the native device Settings.
4. Tap the "i" next to the network and make a note of the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router
5. Switch the network type from DHCP to Static
6. Enter the three values for IP Address, Subnet Mask and Router into the Static configuration
7. Return back to the main WiFi network selection screen
8. Make sure you can connect to the internet using your cellular connection.
9. Launch the Stringwire app, go to Stringwire Settings and change Camera Source to DJI P2V+
10. Select a channel from the Broadcast screen.
11. Wait half a minute for the app to register with the Phantom's server, and the app should then display and stream what the Phantom sees.
12. If you encounter any issues, go back to the iOS WiFi Settings, tap the "i" next to the Phantom's network and tap "Forget This Network". Then repeat steps 3 to 11.

As the wind here on Bonaire is pretty hard these days I'm not able to test it.
I'd like to see who can though.

Regards,
J-P.

Attachments

• DJIDroneSetup.pdf
    396.2 KB · Views: 373
You may be able to stream but I haven't found any info on telling people where to go to see what you are streaming? It sounds like a source for news footage for NBC and unless that is your purpose doesn't seem to do anything for us.

You may be able to stream but I haven't found any info on telling people where to go to see what you are streaming? It sounds like a source for news footage for NBC and unless that is your purpose doesn't seem to do anything for us.
That is exactly what the purpose of this is for, streaming breaking news to the inter webs.
From the site -

Description
Share your world in real-time! Stringwire lets you stream live video from the scene of breaking news.

Become a “Citizen Stringer” by witnessing, reporting and sharing in real-time. Your live video could become part of an NBCUniversal news broadcast.

• If you encounter a story, use Stringwire to stream live video.

• Help break news and report the events that shape history.

• Invite others to watch your video in real-time.

• All streamed video is automatically stored online for future viewing and sharing.

• Be credited for video that you stream to Stringwire.

• Collaborate with other Stringers to capture multiple perspectives of the same event.

• Please be safe, obey the law, and respect people’s privacy and intellectual property.

In the past, news agencies would pay amateurs for their video footage if it was something they wanted to use. I guess they are trying a new method of getting amateur news footage now for free.

Here's the answer I received...

"Stringwire has been built within the NBCUniversal News Group, but the platform is available for use by any media entity, as well as the general public. Video streamed to Stringwire is available under a non-exclusive license, inspired by the Creative Commons. This offers anyone who wants to use the video a perpetual, non- exclusive license to distribute, modify and publish the content as long as the creator and Stringwire are attributed.
When you start streaming to Stringwire, your stream will generate a unique URL that you can share publicly by simply tapping the share icon on the record screen. All video you stream to Stringwire is archived under your account and will be available to you right when your stream ends as well. You can find your archived videos by going to the “My Videos” page in the app or by logging into the site."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic