My new antenna kit has arrived

I don't know, Saao, because I still haven't installed my pilot-side kit yet, but I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'll install the pilot-side kit first and then try it and see how it goes.

I will probably install the aircraft side antennae eventually, but we should bear in mind that it will increase the weight of the bird and therefore decrease flight time. I am hoping to compensate for that by reducing the weight of the aircraft in other areas (carbon-fibre landing gear, light weight prop-guards, better motors etc.).

This hobby is still in its infancy and is all about experimentation, that's one of the things that makes it interesting.

DBS said:
ToThePoint said:
circular polarization ( helix ) suffer less from reflection of the transmitted signal.
Vertical polarization does indeed suffer from reflection and in some situations it can suppress the signal resulting in a cancellation of it on the receiver.

So If we're still talking about the 5.8Ghz control signal... All the more reason to do the Phantom side mod if you're going to use a helix to send the signal... You aren't getting the full benefits from an expensive antenna if you're receiving with the stock dipoles

Kag49601 said:
I have modified just the pilot end 5.8 without doing the same to the bird (10dbi rhcp) and have flown 2 miles with no control issues. This is using a pilot-side amp, but even without I'm getting close to a mile. Just my 2 cents.

I could get close to a mile with my stock bird out of the box... And 2 miles cost me 20 bucks to build this little thingy... No amps
a6849630-253-20140614_084624.jpg

Sorry to throw a negative into the thread back there... I used the word "useless" and I shouldn't have... These expensive CP antennas obviously have a positive boost to range but I guess I always think in "miles per gallon" or rather "miles per dollar" ... And then there's the form factor... The small CP antennas look so cool and keep everything down to a manageable size... So that's worth a lot right there as well...

Everybody has their own groove and build style and we all love going after that deep range flight that's so exciting... So sorry about using that word "useless"... None of this is... It's all part of what's in our blood and we can't help it :ugeek:

Hear hear, don't be sorry DBS we are all human and it takes a wise man to state that what you're stating !
We do indeed differ from setup we like and thus also the way we grow as humans.
As in both, its not the way ( note no good or bad ) its the result that counts.

saao said:
oh well i order the pilot kit extreme and a 5.8 amp it has been delivered to my cousin in london she will be bringing it to me next month lets see what antennas do u recommend to install in the bird with such kit?

If the antenna on the RC is a helical then the matching antenna on the bird is a skew planar ( keep it small, less weight ). A clover leaf is more suitable as a transmitter antenna.
I have 2 sets for the bird here. 2 skew planar for close range ( to assure a 3km range ) and if i want deep penetration i made 2 helicals 5.8ghz for the bird. What i also can do is 2 skew planar (bird ) and a 1w booster on the pilot side for the same result.
For skew planar antenna's, mind the polarity ! RHCP or LHCP, it has to match the pilot sides antenna.

I've looked at these antenna and I really like them. I also liked the comment about "miles per gallon" or bang for your buck. Final consideration - I've got a nice case I put all my stuff in so I have to think long and hard before I put something on my RC that might mean I couldn't fit it in the box anymore. That said it's nice to get your drone up and far far away.

Eventually I made a compromise and went for a 5dbi and an 8dbi TP Link antenna. I have a flat panel antenna on order.

The mod was reasonably easy on the RC and everything still fits in the case.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT240 ... B004UBUE2O

Here's the two new antenna with the stock antenna for comparison.

Antenna_Mod.jpg

And here's the result:

1970m.png

I went from about 300-500m way up to almost 2km. The bigger the antenna the more directional your antenna coverage. It's nice to be able to pop on the less directional 5dbi for shorter flights where there might be a few more obstructions and you want to keep a more solid connection. Then you get out in the clear and really want to go for distance so you pull out the big boy.

did you install the kit any luck would like to see how it looks?

itchybeard said:
I don't know, Saao, because I still haven't installed my pilot-side kit yet, but I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'll install the pilot-side kit first and then try it and see how it goes.

I will probably install the aircraft side antennae eventually, but we should bear in mind that it will increase the weight of the bird and therefore decrease flight time. I am hoping to compensate for that by reducing the weight of the aircraft in other areas (carbon-fibre landing gear, light weight prop-guards, better motors etc.).

This hobby is still in its infancy and is all about experimentation, that's one of the things that makes it interesting.

saao said:

Sadly no, Saao. I have had guests here all weekend, so I haven't had a chance to do it yet. It won't happen until next week now, but here is a picture of the kit for you to look at in the meantime.

Attachments

• 20140831_214911.jpg
    20140831_214911.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 445
i got mine in black they have been delivered to my cousin in london she will be visiting me later this month, need advice i still haven't bought antennas for my bird horizon has a preorder going on where can i buy from else then that?

itchy beard said:
saao said:

Sadly no, Saao. I have had guests here all weekend, so I haven't had a chance to do it yet. It won't happen until next week now, but here is a picture of the kit for you to look at in the meantime.

Attachments

• image-abc7dfa80f342f0ef4e3d2c06294a4c01a12decdc64b0cc7fdb1a6cf907c6063-V.jpg
    image-abc7dfa80f342f0ef4e3d2c06294a4c01a12decdc64b0cc7fdb1a6cf907c6063-V.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 521
saao said:
i got mine in black they have been delivered to my cousin in london she will be visiting me later this month, need advice i still haven't bought antennas for my bird horizon has a preorder going on where can i buy from else then that?

Hi Saao

You may be able to get some aircraft-side LHCP skew-planar pinwheels from FPVLR.

rbhamilton said:
I've looked at these antenna and I really like them. I also liked the comment about "miles per gallon" or bang for your buck. Final consideration - I've got a nice case I put all my stuff in so I have to think long and hard before I put something on my RC that might mean I couldn't fit it in the box anymore. That said it's nice to get your drone up and far far away.

Eventually I made a compromise and went for a 5dbi and an 8dbi TP Link antenna. I have a flat panel antenna on order.

The mod was reasonably easy on the RC and everything still fits in the case.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT240 ... B004UBUE2O

Here's the two new antenna with the stock antenna for comparison.

Antenna_Mod.jpg

And here's the result:

1970m.png

I went from about 300-500m way up to almost 2km. The bigger the antenna the more directional your antenna coverage. It's nice to be able to pop on the less directional 5dbi for shorter flights where there might be a few more obstructions and you want to keep a more solid connection. Then you get out in the clear and really want to go for distance so you pull out the big boy.

How easy was it to install the new tp link antennas you bought and how was the fpv range that far out

Did u install your kit bro?

quote="itchybeard"]I have just received my pilot-end, compact, extreme antenna kit from Horizon FPV. Yay! Now all I have to do is fit it without wrecking my RC controller (gulp). I shall perform the required surgery this weekend after I have calmed down and got myself into correct mental state. Wish me luck :eek:.[/quote]

hey bro did u get a chance to install the extreme kit plz share your results and pics of mods mine is going to reach me by thursday would be helpful?

itchybeard said:
saao said:

Hi Saao

You may be able to get some aircraft-side LHCP skew-planar pinwheels from FPVLR.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4