My new aircraft antenna kit has arrived (yay!)

Reaction score
I emailed Will at Horizon FPV a week ago to ask him if he would build a special order. I wanted a set of very short, very light LHCP skew-planar antennas for my Phantom.

I don't want to add much extra weight to the bird and I want to build my own antenna whips from lightweight, semi-rigid nylon tubing and then run the antenna pigtails through it. This allows me to have the whips any length I want and create a nice, tidy fit.

Will said that he would be happy to help, and we specced out the new antennas via email. He kept me informed throughout the build process.

He has now built and tuned my new antennas. They arrived this morning and they are exactly what I was looking for. So here you are, fresh from the Horizon FPV development lab.

I now have to face the prospect of removing my 5.8 Ghz receiver board. Fortunately, Allemtura has produced a handy tutorial for that (bless him). I will also have to conquer the 'black epoxy of doom' to remove the standard DJI antennas.

The good news is that Will at Horizon has now decided to make these antennas available to everybody and has added them to the Horizon site. They are available in matched pairs and come in LHCP or RHCP with silver or gold lobes, and you can choose your connectors as well (sma or rp-sma). He will even supply the pigtails for the aircraft if you want.

He also sent me some antenna samples, so we could all see what he's been up to in the lab.

I take my hat off to Will and his team for responding to my request so quickly and affordably and I look forward to fitting my new antenna kit and flight testing it, although, it will be a while before I report on that. I have a lot of work to do between now and then.

Wish me luck in the meantime, guys!

Attachments

• weigh5_8.jpg
    weigh5_8.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 590
  • weigh2_4.jpg
    weigh2_4.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 608
  • 20140925_115503.jpg
    20140925_115503.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 637
  • Micronimrod.jpg
    Micronimrod.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 661
  • RHCPskew.jpg
    RHCPskew.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 598
itchybeard said:
I emailed Will at Horizon FPV a week ago to ask him if he would build a special order. I wanted a set of very short, very light LHCP skew-planar antennas for my Phantom.

I don't want to add much extra weight to the bird and I want to build my own antenna whips from lightweight, semi-rigid nylon tubing and then run the antenna pigtails through it. This allows me to have the whips any length I want and create a nice, tidy fit.

Will said that he would be happy to help, and we specced out the new antennas via email. He kept me informed throughout the build process.

He has now built and tuned my new antennas. They arrived this morning and they are exactly what I was looking for. So here you are, fresh from the Horizon FPV development lab.

I now have to face the prospect of removing my 5.8 Ghz receiver board. Fortunately, Allemtura has produced a handy tutorial for that (bless him). I will also have to conquer the 'black epoxy of doom' to remove the standard DJI antennas.

The good news is that Will at Horizon has now decided to make these antennas available to everybody and has added them to the Horizon site. They are available in matched pairs and come in LHCP or RHCP with silver or gold lobes, and you can choose your connectors as well (sma or rp-sma). He will even supply the pigtails for the aircraft if you want.

He also sent me some antenna samples, so we could all see what he's been up to in the lab.

I take my hat off to Will and his team for responding to my request so quickly and affordably and I look forward to fitting my new antenna kit and flight testing it, although, it will be a while before I report on that. I have a lot of work to do between now and then.

congrats bro i ordered mine yesterday with a 2 wartt amp since i already have the 5.8 ones i ordered before, i am still not going to install the 5.8 since i want to see how far can the pilot side go with the 5.8 amp, he said mine will be sent to me on friday lets see hw much time it takes to reach me since its an international order

itchybeard said:

Hey bro what's up did u install ur antennas?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1