My first (huge) panic story and mistake plus app crashing phone mid flight.

Good luck to you. I use a dedicated tablet (Nvidia Shield K1). It's nice and fast, no real issues except the screen isn't very bright. But the HDMI out is awesome as I can mirror exactly what the Shield is showing, unlike the add-on HDMI module which gives a live feed plus other overlay telemetry.

Do you have a screen anti-glare on your Nvidia Shield? I am trying to look for a good one but all on Amazon seem so cheap. Also, do you have a hood for it? Bought one from DJI for the mini-ipad but it didn't do me any good. I had to return it because the Nvidia is slightly loner.

Thanks

Do you have a screen anti-glare on your Nvidia Shield? I am trying to look for a good one but all on Amazon seem so cheap. Also, do you have a hood for it? Bought one from DJI for the mini-ipad but it didn't do me any good. I had to return it because the Nvidia is slightly loner.

Thanks
I have these: Amazon.com: [3-Pack] SUPERSHIELDZ- Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector For NVIDIA Shield Tablet + Lifetime Replacements Warranty [3-PACK] - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories
They make the screen somewhat of a matte finish and totally blocks the glare, but the screen is still dim, even on a cloudy day.

I put in an order for a sun shield this morning:
8" version: Amazon.com: HOBBYTIGER® FPV LCD Monitor Sun Hood Cover Sun Shade Visor for DJI Phantom 3 phantom 2 Vision+ DJI Inspire 1 iphone ipad samsung: Toys & Games

I also have a magnifier shield I'll test with the sun hood, but will eventually install it in a DIY FPV headset I'm building. Amazon.com: 4.5" x 7" Flexible 200% Magnifier Sheet: Health & Personal Care

Reactions: zitrojj
if your going to fly high... then get a good app that shows " Winds Aloft " you will be surprised what the wind does at different altitudes...

Reactions: Gforce98
I m not sure if it was not due to cold temperatures (25F) video streaming keeps phone electronics warm. The only times my phone crashed was when geo servers had issues. My advice to all is to fly with network off on devices such as in airplane mode. We do not know when calls to geo servers are made again during the flights.

That's about 4 Celsius - bloody cold. Yes the iPhone could well turn off in those conditions. Try taking a photo when it's cold. Mine almost always switches off - even if the battery is 3/4 full. PITA.
25 Fahrenheit is actually closer to -4C so very very cold.

Glad your bird survived to fly another day!

I have these: Amazon.com: [3-Pack] SUPERSHIELDZ- Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) Screen Protector For NVIDIA Shield Tablet + Lifetime Replacements Warranty [3-PACK] - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories
They make the screen somewhat of a matte finish and totally blocks the glare, but the screen is still dim, even on a cloudy day.

I put in an order for a sun shield this morning:
8" version: Amazon.com: HOBBYTIGER® FPV LCD Monitor Sun Hood Cover Sun Shade Visor for DJI Phantom 3 phantom 2 Vision+ DJI Inspire 1 iphone ipad samsung: Toys & Games

I also have a magnifier shield I'll test with the sun hood, but will eventually install it in a DIY FPV headset I'm building. Amazon.com: 4.5" x 7" Flexible 200% Magnifier Sheet: Health & Personal Care

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered the hood and the Anti-Glare Screen Protectors. Let me know how it goes with the magnifier.

I use my iPhone 6s Plus, which is my primary phone, with no problem whatsoever. I kill all my apps first, and use the DJI sun shade. Works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

In boating and aviation, the rule of thumb is one third of fuel to make to your destination, one third back and one third reserve (after carefully checking distance, fuel availability and other factors). It's a good idea to check on prevailing winds, but they don't always blow the same way. I've seen winds box around the compass in ten minutes....

Well I'm a sissy when it comes to this.. I don't fly in anything more than 10mph. Just not fun for me.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Thanks! I'll look into that tablet. I usually use my phone since I sometimes film launching from boats or moving objects and have to reset home point which I can't do from my IPad 2 mini.The iPad mini seems like a really nice fit on the controller but sucks not to have gps on it. I wonder if I tether the iPad to my phone if I'm able to have gps location available to reset home point on the go.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No, you won't get gps by tethering. I bought a garmin GLO to use with my iPad. The next upgrade I won't have to buy a pad with gps.

No, you won't get gps by tethering. I bought a garmin GLO to use with my iPad. The next upgrade I won't have to buy a pad with gps.
sfgiants24 you do not need to tether. You will get a GPS signal. However you will need to cache the maps on to your Nvidia Shield. You can also create a 5GHz hotspot on your phone which your "Shield" will be able to join and not intefere with the 2.4GHz. I cache the maps before I fly, it takes a minute or so, then I turn off the wifi on both my phone and tablet. I rather not mess with the wifi and have something go wrong.

So yesterday it happened for the first time as I'm doing a range test from a mountain top over looking a plain field, I make a terrible mistake...
I fly out to 18k feet and still have full RC and video feed signal. I see the battery meter for rth is getting close. So I decide to turn back home, here's the mistake... Forgot to take into account tail wind on the way out. Now my rth requires more battery than I have left and I'm in controlled panic mode... To make things worse now my phone turns off at 80% battery life. Now I'm in full panic mode. I try to restart it and every time I open the DJI go app it crashes my phone again. After a few tries it works and I have visual feed again (by the way it only turns on while plugged into a charger as if something is tricking it into thinking its out of battery but it's not, not even close). I try a few things in hopes of saving some battery vs flight time, from flying at 50% throttle to Atti mode hoping the extra speed can make up the time gap vs battery life to get home but nothing. Thinking that I might not make it home and still about 4000 feet out and nearing critical battery levels, I decide to search for a safe place to land. I see a nice flat place and screen shot my map so I know where to go find my phantom after. I cancel rth and start descending... Well as I'm about 100 ft from landing my phone crashes again. Now I'm in huge panic mode and really pissed off. Thinking I can't do a blind landing I initiate rth again from the RC, there goes some more battery while it ascends to the 200 ft I have it set to. Again the phone restarts but crashes everytime I open the app. The longest 2 min of my life go by but now I can hear it somewhere in the distance... Finally I spot it as it flies over me and starts descending to its home point, and in huge relief I take back control and bring it down as fast as it will let me. As soon as it lands I power down, and once I'm able to reboot the phone and successfully open the app I check the flight log recording on the app and see its landed with 4% battery. I'm hoping the battery hasn't suffered terminal damage here. I've recharged and checked it volatage and capacity and it all seems ok...

So what I've learned on this flight and experience is, #1 fantastic range! #2 never do that again, #3 leave plenty on margin on battery level when flying out with a tail wind. #4 what the heck is causing my phone to crash mid flight!!?

Anyone have the same issue of phone/tablet crashing mid flight?

As "happydays" points out, if it's really cold, your phone battery can get confused. Unfortunately, if it's really hot, your app can crash as well.

I do a lot of powered glider flying. A very general but necessary rule-of-thumb is ALWAYS FLY UPWIND AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. It makes a lot easier to get your craft back to you. (BTW - for those who don't know, a powered glider uses a motor to get up in the air and then you shut the motor off and glide, catch thermals, etc. Your battery can last an amazingly long time as you get better and better with the gliding. But don't get too far downwind. If the wind picks up, your glider can be blown away. Don't ask me how I know this!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers