My First Flight

Reaction score
I am still in awe with my new toy. Being used to struggle with collective pitch, stability, crashes, and the like with helicopters, flying my new Vision was a revelation. Could not get over that during the flights I could put down the remote and the bird would just sit there waiting for me to tell it what to do.

Still, very maneuverable. Can't wait to take it to a big open area to start experimenting and testing RTH, etc. Camera also works great. :eek: Before getting the Vision yesterday, I had ordered a 350QX which will arrive tomorrow. Now the dilemma is whether or not to send it back and only keep the Vision or if the Blade would add some contrast to the experience.

LOL...I have been flying Phantom for about 7 months. I'm thinking about getting that Blade (Bind N Fly) for Christmas. I've seen one in action. I can honestly say, it looks a bit smoother than Phantom. And, in my opinion the return to home is better. I've HAD to do return to home 3 times and panicked every time. It just seem to know want to make up its mind to start it's decent. It would get in position and then fly around, come back and do it 2 or 3 times before making a landing. On the other had, the guy I saw with the Blade was showing off the RTH. When he hit the switch, that sucker would fly directly over head and start to land. I watched him to it three times.

If I were you, I'd keep both!

rmklaw said:
I am still in awe with my new toy. Being used to struggle with collective pitch, stability, crashes, and the like with helicopters, flying my new Vision was a revelation. Could not get over that during the flights I could put down the remote and the bird would just sit there waiting for me to tell it what to do.

Still, very maneuverable. Can't wait to take it to a big open area to start experimenting and testing RTH, etc. Camera also works great. :eek: Before getting the Vision yesterday, I had ordered a 350QX which will arrive tomorrow. Now the dilemma is whether or not to send it back and only keep the Vision or if the Blade would add some contrast to the experience.

I love the Vision. However, I think that I will keep the Blade for variety and comparison. It arrived late yesterday so I have not yet checked it. I had my first full flight in open fields with the Vision today. Flies beautiful. I did two fail safe by shutting down the RC. Both times the bird went up to 66 feet and came back home landing in the exact spot where it took off. I also tried to interrupt the RTH by turning on the RC and flipping S1. It immediately gave me back control. All in all very satisfied.

kenskid said:
LOL...I have been flying Phantom for about 7 months. I'm thinking about getting that Blade (Bind N Fly) for Christmas. I've seen one in action. I can honestly say, it looks a bit smoother than Phantom. And, in my opinion the return to home is better. I've HAD to do return to home 3 times and panicked every time. It just seem to know want to make up its mind to start it's decent. It would get in position and then fly around, come back and do it 2 or 3 times before making a landing. On the other had, the guy I saw with the Blade was showing off the RTH. When he hit the switch, that sucker would fly directly over head and start to land. I watched him to it three times.

Hmmm. Not sure what's going on there. If the RTH is initiated because of going out of range then there is a built in pause to allow for you to attempt to regain control (move S1 down then up again). If not the Vision rises to about 60ft (or stays where it is if you are higher) then flies back to hover directly over the home point. There it waits for 15 seconds to again allow you to regain control if you wish and/or to warn people below of its presence, then it begins a steady descent to land. Mine has performed this flawlessly each time (couple of times initiated by me, a couple by going out of control range and me letting it complete the whole process). You have to make sure you have a good GPS lock before taking off to make sure the home point is stored, and a good lock during the RTH process as well. If you have intermittent GPS lock then any GPS-enabled machine is going to have trouble.

Pull_Up said:
kenskid said:

Hmmm. Not sure what's going on there. If the RTH is initiated because of going out of range then there is a built in pause to allow for you to attempt to regain control (move S1 down then up again). If not the Vision rises to about 60ft (or stays where it is if you are higher) then flies back to hover directly over the home point. There it waits for 15 seconds to again allow you to regain control if you wish and/or to warn people below of its presence, then it begins a steady descent to land. Mine has performed this flawlessly each time (couple of times initiated by me, a couple by going out of control range and me letting it complete the whole process). You have to make sure you have a good GPS lock before taking off to make sure the home point is stored, and a good lock during the RTH process as well. If you have intermittent GPS lock then any GPS-enabled machine is going to have trouble.

He's flying the Phantom not the Vision. RTH may work differently with the Phantom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So he is - the 7 months should have given me the clue! Would have been a very early beta tester... :oops:

Nevertheless the Vision uses a NAZA-M V2 the same as the later Phantom V1s (albeit slightly limited in function out of the box unless you activate NAZA mode in the Assistant) - the failsafe algorithm is the same (as are the IOC algorithms) so if it's changing its mind trying to land then it's either external influences or hardware (rather than software) in my humble opinion.

I decided to update to the most current firmware and assistant software. Just finished calibrating and setting parameters.
Going to do some flying today. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Pull_Up said:
So he is - the 7 months should have given me the clue! Would have been a very early beta tester... :oops:

Nevertheless the Vision uses a NAZA-M V2 the same as the later Phantom V1s (albeit slightly limited in function out of the box unless you activate NAZA mode in the Assistant) - the failsafe algorithm is the same (as are the IOC algorithms) so if it's changing its mind trying to land then it's either external influences or hardware (rather than software) in my humble opinion.

Well I'm back. Phantom flew perfect with the update in firmware. Tried three RTH, two with a switch and one power off. All worked fine. Two times the Phantom landed within a foot of takeoff spot. One about four feet. Hand about 10mph wind going too.

Pictures @ 11.

kenskid said:
I decided to update to the most current firmware and assistant software. Just finished calibrating and setting parameters.
Going to do some flying today. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Pull_Up said:

In my opinion the RTHs that I tried work perfectly as intended, landing within less than a foot from the takeoff point. What I was happy to see was also how it responded to my control after interrupting the RTH. It is added peace of mind to know that I can regain control at any time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl