My first creek flight, crash, and loss.

Sorry as this is such an expensive loss. Here is a thought you might try assuming it is the water. If you know someone that has a swimming pool you could borrow their pole net and drag the bottom with it. Also Fuji make a waterproof camera good to 90' I think. If you don't know anyone with a pool these pole nets cost around $40 available even at Wally world or any pool supply outfit. Best of luck, donnie

Reactions: Sky Architect
Sorry as this is such an expensive loss. Here is a thought you might try assuming it is the water. If you know someone that has a swimming pool you could borrow their pole net and drag the bottom with it. Also Fuji make a waterproof camera good to 90' I think. If you don't know anyone with a pool these pole nets cost around $40 available even at Wally world or any pool supply outfit. Best of luck, donnie
I'd send my ms in the water to go for it

That's actually an amazing idea! Very helpful input, thank you.

Reactions: POVoutfitters
I lost my first P3p in a creek and it was in. The water for just 30 minutes... Brought it home, took it apart, blew the water off, riced it for 1 week, but never worked. The battery looked fine, but ended up puffing... So, bought another and won't fly over water again.

We have low power lines coming right across our property in the country, and Tree's all around us. While trying to learn how to run my P4 I hit them more than once (yeah, I know I'm a bad person) but, each time I hit them the craft self righted immediately. Just like birds can land on one line without getting cooked, so should these. I'm curious how far away this bridge was from where your craft went down. Knocking the batteries out landing in the water seems unlikely unless it was shallow water and it hit a rock or something. Could the craft have hit the bridge, battery separated, craft lands on the bridge and gets carried away while battery falls in the water? I'm still perplexed by the location pings reporting quite a distance away.

Well UPDATE TIME. I went diving for it in full suit boots and all and couldn't find it. No idea where it could be. I skimmed the bottom, went all around the big tree... giving up hope on it now.

We have low power lines coming right across our property in the country, and Tree's all around us. While trying to learn how to run my P4 I hit them more than once (yeah, I know I'm a bad person) but, each time I hit them the craft self righted immediately. Just like birds can land on one line without getting cooked, so should these. I'm curious how far away this bridge was from where your craft went down. Knocking the batteries out landing in the water seems unlikely unless it was shallow water and it hit a rock or something. Could the craft have hit the bridge, battery separated, craft lands on the bridge and gets carried away while battery falls in the water? I'm still perplexed by the location pings reporting quite a distance away.
I checked the bridge and all surrounding areas and yes it has perplexed me too.

IT COULD BE A PAPER WEIGHT ON SOMEONES DESK.

Couple of caveats-
[I HATE I can speak authoritatively on this]

Power lines: when flying out of LOS, altitude is an essential parameter. These things run in the most unexpected of places, but a bridge over water is almost a definite place to find them. You will not see them first through FPV. This is a drone pilots addendum to Murphy's Law.
Battery ejection: only with sharp impact, hard surface, and battery can be "thrown" some distance. Batteries are, however, quite tough, and I've not lost one to such ejection, though have been and continue to be leery when charging, using. (Careful eval with DJI Go App battery section with every use/charge)

That I've not suffered loss of bird is adherence to above. That my first P4 is now my crash test dummy is testament to the "when, not if" nature of pushing the envelope. Landing gear are extensively taped & glued, and video transmission is iffy. But she flies and paves the way for the princess, my newer bird.

I'm NOT careless. But even with suitable paranoia you're going to learn, and education can come at steep cost. And here's an important lesson, the important lesson. If you're not prepared to lose/replace your baby, don't take off. No matter how paranoid, careful, $hit happens.

Couple of caveats-
[I HATE I can speak authoritatively on this]

Power lines: when flying out of LOS, altitude is an essential parameter. These things run in the most unexpected of places, but a bridge over water is almost a definite place to find them. You will not see them first through FPV. This is a drone pilots addendum to Murphy's Law.
Battery ejection: only with sharp impact, hard surface, and battery can be "thrown" some distance. Batteries are, however, quite tough, and I've not lost one to such ejection, though have been and continue to be leery when charging, using. (Careful eval with DJI Go App battery section with every use/charge)

That I've not suffered loss of bird is adherence to above. That my first P4 is now my crash test dummy is testament to the "when, not if" nature of pushing the envelope. Landing gear are extensively taped & glued, and video transmission is iffy. But she flies and paves the way for the princess, my newer bird.

I'm NOT careless. But even with suitable paranoia you're going to learn, and education can come at steep cost. And here's an important lesson, the important lesson. If you're not prepared to lose/replace your baby, don't take off. No matter how paranoid, careful, $hit happens.

PS-THIS IS A GREAT FORUM. I continue to learn much from all of you, noobs and masters alike.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic