My first crack at some commercial property video

Reaction score
My first real attempt at capturing a piece of video from a commercial property. Color and contrast with the light changes is questionable and there is some jerkiness in the corners of the vid as the phantom turns. The funny thing is I shot this whole sequence with all my props nuts just hand tight if that. Had them off doing some balancing from the night before and I even had the wrench in my pocket but forgot. Got into a hurry to fly because of the time constraints and the wind was below 5mph. The loose nuts could have been a real disaster being up as high as I was in the beginning and then also flying over the pool. During this flight time everything was going perfectly up until the point that my Phantom bugged out and just started drifting off like it was pushed. I could not pull it back and it wouldn't really respond to the inputs. Ended up crashing down onto one of the shrubs in the area. I was under a tree and approaching the table and chairs at this time so there wasn't a lot of room for this to happen. It kind of makes me question this firmware update.

Can anybody point out what I need to do to get the youtube video to show up directly in this post???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... T2gdjmMAag

Honestly, you are flying your Phantom in the worst possible location to be flying it. I highly doubt your drift was due to the update, more like the fact that you are flying it in the absolute middle of a 2.4 wifi hornets nest.

Are these apartments currently rented with tenants? If yes, then probably 80-90% of active units has a wifi router blasting away. With only a few channels, some are probably even over compensating and boosting their signal to squelch out a neighbors signal.

Your poor bird was more than likely swimming through a nebulae of noise.

Hi,

Nice video and pretty smooth. Did you use any stabilization on the video in post processing, if so what did you use?

Steve.

It was flying as typical which is good up to just this one moment. It was like a ghost came along and blew a big puff of air as it was going straight and then did a sideways drift. I was only a few feet behind it at this point with it slightly above my head. It was really odd because the low amount of wind was pretty much the same in the whole area.

No stabilization used in post as iMovie's stabilization sucks and it takes away a lot of image detail and it just looks like crap IMO. The Sony camera has a type of stabilization but it doesn't do much for the random wave like movement seen from the copter. Now for a motorcycle on a jittery race track its a nice feature. The video is shot at 60fps so that helps and just flying slow and steady where the wind is not pumping the breeze at you. The difference of flying in an area like this compared to a field is huge for me. Its a challenge because you're flying close to a lot of things that want to suck you in. If there was the fire pit with a blazing gas fire I can only imagine the amount of turbulence that would introduce in the area.

Hopefully with more experience doing this I can get better. It's not up to the level I would expect just yet but I'll see if the 9in CF props help to give me some more stability.

My own little home built mount attached to a anti-vibration contraption that works pretty good. My quad seems to be a vibration hog and it makes things difficult! Using the non wifi sony action cam.

Dji Multirotor Phantom by freelanceshots, on Flickr

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20