My dabble with boosters .... 5.8 and 2.4Ghz .....

Reaction score
Ok .... shopping list just made in ebay :

32828a5e4cb9cc65.jpg

2.4G Extend Range Signal Booster Amplifier Device For DJI Phantom Vision FPV NEW | eBay

And

p.jpg

Mini 5.8G Signal Booster amp for DJI Phantom RC Quadcopters Flight Models HOT JS

One a 5.8ghz and other 2.4ghz booster ..... main item actually for me is the 5.8ghz ... then at least I have control at all times.

I can run both of a 4cell nimh pack or a LiFe battery cell inside the case.

Nigel

Main idea is to boost the 5.8 back up to what I had before I updated to 1.8.10 .... without rolling back FW.

The Video I reckon can wait as I have rolled back my Go to 2.9.1 - so that should cure the poor lag and video breaking up. It had good range - so not critical.
The 2.4 booster will be looked at and considered once the 5.8 has been tested and evaluated.

I note that the 5.8 booster recc'ds only using the 6dbi antenna - so the 14dbi I have coming will be put aside when booster arrives.

Nigel

I'm trying to keep this all simple for everyone to understand ... I read through pages of others boosters etc. but got a headache with all the technical and other stuff clouding the subject.

Here I present the items I bought. Then will be how I fit to the gear. Then test flight. No gobblydegook ... no technical ... just plain so anyone can copy if they want.

Nigel

Reactions: p3s_noob
Ok .... shopping list just made in ebay :

32828a5e4cb9cc65.jpg

2.4G Extend Range Signal Booster Amplifier Device For DJI Phantom Vision FPV NEW | eBay

And

p.jpg

Mini 5.8G Signal Booster amp for DJI Phantom RC Quadcopters Flight Models HOT JS

One a 5.8ghz and other 2.4ghz booster ..... main item actually for me is the 5.8ghz ... then at least I have control at all times.

I can run both of a 4cell nimh pack or a LiFe battery cell inside the case.

Nigel
Hope they work for you, I'm a loyal Sunhans customer personally. You did notice that the power requirements of these two amps are in a different voltage range and may not work with just one single power source.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep did notice ....

First of the 5.8 is to be fitted as i am having reasonable video range that can squeeze a bit more control range. The good thing about 5.8 is its basically a one-way signal. The quality and strength is reported back via the telemetry 2.4 signal path.

The 2.4 - I'm out on this as I think a two way has to be set-up ... not only RC but also on AC to maximise range and signal. Being the telemetry and video path ... I think it needs RC and AC boosted.

Nigel

Yep did notice ....

First of the 5.8 is to be fitted as i am having reasonable video range that can squeeze a bit more control range. The good thing about 5.8 is its basically a one-way signal. The quality and strength is reported back via the telemetry 2.4 signal path.

The 2.4 - I'm out on this as I think a two way has to be set-up ... not only RC but also on AC to maximise range and signal. Being the telemetry and video path ... I think it needs RC and AC boosted.

Nigel

Do you know if the RTH command is transmitted over the 2.4ghz or the 5.8ghz?

Yep did notice ....

Nigel
You don't need to install a amp on the AC itself, if that's what your saying. But the 2.4 GHz does need to be a bi-directional amp (two way), that's why a bird side amp is not needed.

Do you know if the RTH command is transmitted over the 2.4ghz or the 5.8ghz?
I always thought at least when the RTH was done via the device it would be by the 2.4 GHz signal, just because the device is connected to the RC by the 2.4 GHz wifi. So it would seem to me the RC is acting as a repeater and just broadcasting the RTH command. That's just a educated guess on my part. But then there's the question, what if the RTH is via the S2 switch?? All other remote inputs are by the 5.8 GHz, so would that than be by the control frequency? I think it is, only because when I lose my wifi signal the RTH by S2 always seems to still work. Again, just a educated guess.

I think that the device sends its Flight commands to the RC via the 2.4 wifi and the RC then sends out via the 5.8.

That is :

Start motors
Go to hover
RTH
Land

The rest involving camera, telemetry etc. are all 2.4.

I could be wrong.

Nigel

Yep did notice ....

Nigel
Nigel, I have both of these also. I bought them before I bought the Sunhans due to the equal power requirements so you get to use only one battery for both. I therefore decided to use that green 5.8 unit on by Hubsan 501 controller and noticed it has a built in regulator. Input is 6v to 23 volt and has an output to operate on of 5 volt. The 2.4 unit takes 3.7 v to 5 volt to operate. I'm going to tap into the regulator output of the 5.8 to power the 2.4 unit. Haven't had time yet but will be getting to it soon. I just hope the regulator can handle both units.

I have plenty of life / lipo packs I can use as well as dual regulators etc.

I shall just add a battery pack to the RC and power if as necessary.

I don't think the regulator on the unit will cover both ... you would be asking for double its designed load.

Nigel

I have plenty of life / lipo packs I can use as well as dual regulators etc.

I shall just add a battery pack to the RC and power if as necessary.

I don't think the regulator on the unit will cover both ... you would be asking for double its designed load.

Nigel
Yeah, just a thought. I've a few 5 volt bucs in my closet somewhere.

I have always seen info on this forum that AC control on a P3S is strictly over the one way 5.8 link from the controller to the AC

Flight command control is 5.8Ghz and one way ... yes.

2.4Ghz is bi-directional though and any booster must be able to switch automatically both ways.

My system gave me reliable 4.5km range out rural lands. I never tried in town as that in my mind is not sensible to do. But I would expect to have reliable 1.5Km at least. The other matter of course is the disruption of commercial 5.8Ghz comms and domestic 2.4WiFi in using it in urban / town environment.

I achieved what I set out to do. Maximise range .... now ? I just use it with Argtek gear as that gives me good range enough for my needs.

Nigel

Main idea is to boost the 5.8 back up to what I had before I updated to 1.8.10 .... without rolling back FW.

Nigel

Interesting comment. Are you saying that before fw 1.8.n you had a good uplink/control signal but after the upgrade that signal weakened? If so, can you give me an idea of what range you had before and directly after this upgrade. Reason for my questions are, I got well over 1 mile immediately after my DBS mod. I don't recall when I upgraded FW but sometime after the mod my range dropped significantly. I couldn't even get 500m before RTH kicked in. From what I have read, downgrading from 1.8.n makes no difference.

After achieving my goal of range and consistent connection ... as I say - I then went back to basic Argtek ... and it seems I have similar range with 1.8.10 now as I had with earlier FW ...

If you really want to know - the Phantom basically I find boring to fly now. The novelty soon wore off and all I use it for now is when I want to video / photo something.
Because it has no aerobatic capability - flying about aimlessly is not my cup of tea.

If you are seriously into video / photo aerial work - then the Advanced or Pro is better ... but if like me - then the Standard is about as much money as you want to put into it !!

I get more 'fun' out of my 30 Euro MIG29 than the P3S ... sorry ..

Another form of hovering !! Takes use of ALL controls / sticks to do it ..

Nigel

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj