My Crazy Flight Yesterday

ianwood said:
Foil mod is not going to do much of anything to fix this situation. Almost definitely, your compass and/or IMU are badly calibrated. Your flight has telltale signs of TBE and loss of horizon.

Check your mod values. Advanced calibrate your IMU. Then compass calibration: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32829

What are the signs of TBE and loss of horizon? Not being a smart a** or questioning your knowledge, I just don't have clue at what you are taking about. I'm still new to the game.

Do you think update could have caused it? It has not flown right since I updated. I am still going to do the foil mod, but I will be checking the setting in the software and doing as you suggested. I just want my P2V+ to fly right and for my confidence in it to return.

Thanks

I just checked all my settings. They are all within the normal values. The software stated not to calibrate if the values are within the correct range. Other than recalibrating the compass before my next flight, I don't see where my settings need to be changed.

You are nested in a bunch of powerlines! Your satellite count could be inversely proportional to the number of people using their clothe dryers at the same time! :D

My bird had a had time getting enough satellites when it did a cold start. On the second battery, it did ok.

I know that some here strongly do not believe that the foil mod helps, but I am a believer. Also be sure your GPS cable connector cable is very snug. Some have mentioned bending the pins just a little so that the connector feels snug. I think that it helps to ground your foil mod as well. I went from about 5 minutes to start downloading satellites to 60 seconds and I don't lose satellites now. Mine is a phantom 2, however, so your model may be just different enough....

StangLuvr said:
What are the signs of TBE and loss of horizon? Not being a smart a** or questioning your knowledge, I just don't have clue at what you are taking about. I'm still new to the game.

Do you think update could have caused it? It has not flown right since I updated. I am still going to do the foil mod, but I will be checking the setting in the software and doing as you suggested. I just want my P2V+ to fly right and for my confidence in it to return.

Thanks

I would advise against any mod until you fix the problem. Your problem is not GPS. It is the compass and/or IMU. Did you calibrate everything after you updated? A clean compass calibration is critical. I would recalibrate everything until the mod values are right where they should be.

This is what a misbehaving compass looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01rZ3oIHgyQ

Note that the gimbal isn't level and the Phantom is doing circles. Just like yours.

ianwood said:
StangLuvr said:

Thanks

I would advise against any mod until you fix the problem. Your problem is not GPS. It is the compass and/or IMU. Did you calibrate everything after you updated? A clean compass calibration is critical. I would recalibrate everything until the mod values are right where they should be.

This is what a misbehaving compass looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01rZ3oIHgyQ

Note that the gimbal isn't level and the Phantom is doing circles. Just like yours.

Thanks a ton for the video. You are right, I can see a lot of my video in this video clip. Thank you for posting the video so I could see exactly what was happening. I will recalibrate my IMU tonight and then recalibrate my compass.

Question. If you watched my video, you see I have powerlines across the street from my house in front of, and beside my house. Should I recalibrate my compass in my back yard as far away from the powerlines as possible? Sounds like the best idea to me.

IMU calibration, use a nice level surface. Make sure the Phantom is cool (i.e. not powered up in the past few hours). Run the advanced calibration. Do not move/touch the Phantom while it is calibrating.

For compass calibration, power lines won't be a problem. Find a nice clear patch of grass and do it right in the middle of it. I do mine on a piece of cardboard. Make sure there is no metal within 5ft including belt buckles, watches, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4