Most Common Construction Applications?

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea of the Construction companies that are using aerials what applications are they getting the most benefit? It seems there is three main common categories:

- Progress monitoring - give a comprehensive birdseye view to see where the project is at

- Asset management - where are all my dump trucks and cranes?

- Volumetrics - How much dirt do we need to fill that hole? Or, how much gravel is left in that pile?

What's applications are most compelling?

I think it really benefits the owner the most and non-construction members of the project. It's easy to see progress when you can see the big picture.
Eastgate 2.29.16 BEV.jpg

Eastgate 2.29.16 square.jpg

Of course it also really helps with staging or RFI's that are related to the current progress of the project and are better shown with pictures then sketches on plans.

Reactions: MickATL
I'm working a construction now for a city . . they are refurbishing a city park built on an old dump, and move a public boat ramp at the same time . . I've been going every few days to update the progress. Each step can be evaluated and improved, progress tracked and options considered. It take a bit of dedication and time but I think the value is there for other similar projects everywhere once people see what can be gained from an aerial view

We are doing pre and post construction photos for documenting and processing volumetrics to compute volume of materials used on roadways and land development projects. This gives the contractor an quick and accurate record of the actual surface at the start of construction to compare with the plans used in the bid documents. It has saved a lot of time, money, and materials to know about problems early in the process. We have another customer that gets paid monthly for progress on a river levee project. Our product simplifies his invoicing process and provides him with documents to prove his progress.

This is a topic I am very interested in and would like to hear about how pilots are approaching these companies and what deliverables you are providing.

Any other examples others want to share ?

Lee

I started using my drone to document a construction project near my home. I contacted the developer and asked for permission in case there was a mishap and I needed to retrieve the drone. Over the course of the last year, I have emailed photos and videos to the developer to show them what I've been capturing. The video helped them land a large tenant they were trying to sign and led to them asking if I would provide regular aerial photos to track the progress of the construction phase of the project.

I'd like to understand how pilots are engaging potential clients. I'm learning a lot from this one experience. It seems video is used more for marketing and photos are used to document/chronicle the construction phase.

Learning how people engage clients would be really helpful to me. I'm in the Atlanta area. If you are located somewhere else, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have as we wouldn't be competing in the same marketplace.

Reactions: JPDrones and JWH
Mick seems like you have a good start and show initiative on your part. Of course you didn't mention if you charged them or not so it doesn't take much to offer something for free. LOL

I would suggest using the relationship you have built with the existing developer. Ask there advice on how you could get plugged into the construction community. Ask if they attend or are members or a local organization. Also ask them if they would give you a testimonial and / or a referral. Its always an advantage to contact someone by saying "Joe over at ABC ... recommended I contact you."

My advice is to have your pricing down and do not be afraid of your fees. I find too many people think their prices are too high because they could not afford them if they had to pay for your own service. But remember you are helping someone solve a problem and that has value.

Also remember there will always be someone who charges more than you and someone who will charge less. You have to be able to walk away if they balk at your fee. I NEVER mind losing a job because of price. Most of the time if they hire the guy that is half my price then I know that guy will not be around in a year because they can't build a business on giving away their services.

Reactions: JWH and cr6
I started using my drone to document a construction project near my home. I contacted the developer and asked for permission in case there was a mishap and I needed to retrieve the drone. Over the course of the last year, I have emailed photos and videos to the developer to show them what I've been capturing. The video helped them land a large tenant they were trying to sign and led to them asking if I would provide regular aerial photos to track the progress of the construction phase of the project.

I'd like to understand how pilots are engaging potential clients. I'm learning a lot from this one experience. It seems video is used more for marketing and photos are used to document/chronicle the construction phase.

Learning how people engage clients would be really helpful to me. I'm in the Atlanta area. If you are located somewhere else, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have as we wouldn't be competing in the same marketplace.

I am just south of you and would like to start a similar business. Perhaps we can pool our resources and come up with some photo techniques and marketing methods.

I am just south of you and would like to start a similar business. Perhaps we can pool our resources and come up with some photo techniques and marketing methods.
I'm in North Florida, might be interested

Reactions: JWH
I'm in the San Diego area ( Vista ) and I'm also very interested in this very thing. I also lived in Phoenix 40 years have tons of contacts and I'm over there every two weeks. Anyone near me that wants to talk let's meet.

I'm working a construction now for a city . . they are refurbishing a city park built on an old dump, and move a public boat ramp at the same time . . I've been going every few days to update the progress. Each step can be evaluated and improved, progress tracked and options considered. It take a bit of dedication and time but I think the value is there for other similar projects everywhere once people see what can be gained from an aerial view
Hello, can you please! Tell me what you charge for every time you go out? I'm starting up and I have NO ideas what to charge. Seriously I don't know if I should charge 20dollars or 200 dollars or 2,000 dollars. If you don't want to give me your number can you give me a ball park for the industry? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you Joe Glenn

Hello, can you please! Tell me what you charge for every time you go out? I'm starting up and I have NO ideas what to charge. Seriously I don't know if I should charge 20dollars or 200 dollars or 2,000 dollars. If you don't want to give me your number can you give me a ball park for the industry? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you Joe Glenn
Sure take a look at the "planning section" of my website. For me the price depends on if I'm just doing the flying and taking a few photos on someone else's CHIP and just hand it to them at the end of if I have to load files or do any post production like cropping colourizing or editing videos. You can see on my website its as little as $150 but I've been paid up to 700-800 for more complex tasks. A 1 hour outing is different from driving 2 hrs and flying 3-4 20 min flights with an observer.

My best advice is keep your advertised rates and pricing consistent and up to 50% higher than you are willing to work for. Let potential customers know you are flexible and offer discounts for new customs telling them you will go to full pricing after some introductory time. Then play it by ear and see how they respond. The business will come.

Reactions: JWH

What sort of feedback did you get from this forum; Anything useful? I live in nyc and I literally just finished asking some Profesional looking construction dudes about this industry. They were taking pics from the ground trying to get shots of the upper floors of a luxury high rise building they're completing. What they basically told me was, aerial drone photography for construction is taking off like wild fire. I guess the secret is how to get your foot in the door.

Sure take a look at the "planning section" of my website. For me the price depends on if I'm just doing the flying and taking a few photos on someone else's CHIP and just hand it to them at the end of if I have to load files or do any post production like cropping colourizing or editing videos. You can see on my website its as little as $150 but I've been paid up to 700-800 for more complex tasks. A 1 hour outing is different from driving 2 hrs and flying 3-4 20 min flights with an observer.

My best advice is keep your advertised rates and pricing consistent and up to 50% higher than you are willing to work for. Let potential customers know you are flexible and offer discounts for new customs telling them you will go to full pricing after some introductory time. Then play it by ear and see how they respond. The business will come.

Thanks for the insight & advice @David Cooke. I took a look at your website. Are most of your missions to record still imagery, or do you do some video as well? It was hard to tell looking at the images on your site. I'm curious what people ask you to take video for.

Thanks for the insight & advice @David Cooke. I took a look at your website. Are most of your missions to record still imagery, or do you do some video as well? It was hard to tell looking at the images on your site. I'm curious what people ask you to take video for.
I do video almost every trip but usually a few stills as well . . sometimes they just want a still of the construction in progress. What is on the site is maybe 1% of the video and still's I have taken in the passed couple of years. I do video for real estate of course . . (maybe 5% of what I do) I fly but others do the post processing. . . I do video of events like the B-17 bomber visit, promotional videos (others often do the post processing but I do some myself.) That takes a lot of planning and coordination to do legally. The aboriginal canoe launch was a special one where I did it all myself except a few ground based stills. The latest video was for a children's farm Korny Korners to show off their annual Corn Maze. They are a repeat customer, Last year was a Star Wars theme . . this year is Canada 150 years. . both are on my site. The Golden Hawks Thank You video was initiated and produced by me as a promotion for their annual F-86 Sabre pilot's reunion. That was a donation from me . . I'm x-RCAF and always wanted to fly them . . so the reasons for video are quite variable.

My best suggestion and find someone who needs one and do the odd one for free . . like my F-86 . . you'll be surprised how many more come from it.

Reactions: chrismorace
I do video almost every trip but usually a few stills as well . . sometimes they just want a still of the construction in progress. What is on the site is maybe 1% of the video and still's I have taken in the passed couple of years. I do video for real estate of course . . (maybe 5% of what I do) I fly but others do the post processing. . . I do video of events like the B-17 bomber visit, promotional videos (others often do the post processing but I do some myself.) That takes a lot of planning and coordination to do legally. The aboriginal canoe launch was a special one where I did it all myself except a few ground based stills. The latest video was for a children's farm Korny Korners to show off their annual Corn Maze. They are a repeat customer, Last year was a Star Wars theme . . this year is Canada 150 years. . both are on my site. The Golden Hawks Thank You video was initiated and produced by me as a promotion for their annual F-86 Sabre pilot's reunion. That was a donation from me . . I'm x-RCAF and always wanted to fly them . . so the reasons for video are quite variable.

My best suggestion and find someone who needs one and do the odd one for free . . like my F-86 . . you'll be surprised how many more come from it.

That was amazingly informative and helpful. Thanks for being so generous with your time and insight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31