More powerfull repeater?

PVFlyer said:
theSelf said:
PVFlyer said:
I posted a picture of such 11 dBi antenna at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183&p=58922#p58922

PVFlyer could you kindly point me to where in this vast thread or another thread we can find a 'tutorial' guide to specifically upgrading the stock 5.8 GHz TX antenna to either your patch or a higher gain omni whip? (I already know how to upgrade the stock 2.4 Ghz video repeater's antennas)- thank you!

You may click the link under my signature to the thread, it's on the first page & third post.

thanks PVflyer- you mean this- http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183 ? If so- I do not see any 'how to' steps on actually how to swap out the stock 5.8 GHz TX whip antenna and replace with a higher gain one like the 11dbi panel/patch antenna you used there...if you don't personally have a 'tutorial' up do you or anyone else know where there is one that can be found? Thank you

Replacing the whip antenna on the 5.8ghz TX is as simple as opening up the TX and removing the antenna and its pigtail, then replacing it with a new 6" Mini PCI U.FL / IPX to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable (similar to the ones people are using in the range extender.) Then that gives you the ability to screw on the antenna of your choice.

varmint said:
PVFlyer said:
It is on 5.8G transmitter. In fact, I also consider to put a small 5.8G patch or even helical on P2V with a tiny antenna tracking system pointing the antenna to ground station. Otherwise, I have to boost 5.8G transmitter for longer range, but it is not good for health with high power RF nearby.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do, except in reverse, by getting the telemetry data going to the mobile device and using it to drive a "smart" patch antenna that keeps itself pointed at the P2V. The telemetry could be read by an Arduino with a wifi shield and used to drive a 2-axis gimbal with the patch antenna. Problem is, somebody with a lot more networking skill than I would have to get into the packets.

For your idea it would be the same issue I have. You can't really do anything unless you can get the telemetry data. Although I suppose there's probably some kind of serial interface in between the P2Vs version of an iOSD an the TX that you might be able to tap into. Unfortunately I don't have that (potential) option from the ground station.

--Varm
2-axis gimbal for antenna is a bit overkill. I might use another simple way - servo + gyro (must be less than 50g, excluding antenna) to accomplish this. Weight is a killer for long range.

geargrind said:
Replacing the whip antenna on the 5.8ghz TX is as simple as opening up the TX and removing the antenna and its pigtail, then replacing it with a new 6" Mini PCI U.FL / IPX to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable (similar to the ones people are using in the range extender.) Then that gives you the ability to screw on the antenna of your choice.

coolio- so much like on the repeater mod then..thanks for confirming- so the RP-SMA end of the replacement 6" Mini PCI U.FL / IPX to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable will hold securely in the existing hole on top of the TX or does that hole need modifying to hold the new RP SMA end and new antenna securely in position? So any 5.8 Ghz replacement higher gain antenna would effectively be 'plug and play'/swappable depending on application so could swap between the above patch antenna or any of these-

AN5805 - HIGH GAIN WHIP ANTENNA 5.8 GHz 5dBi - RPSMA
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=613

and FPV 12dBi 5.8GHz Antenna (don't know how this omni whip can truly be 12 dbi as it doesn't look long enough)- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... tenna.html

theSelf said:
geargrind said:

coolio- so much like on the repeater mod then..thanks for confirming- so the RP-SMA end of the replacement 6" Mini PCI U.FL / IPX to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail Cable will hold securely in the existing hole on top of the TX or does that hole need modifying to hold the new RP SMA end and new antenna securely in position? So any 5.8 Ghz replacement higher gain antenna would effectively be 'plug and play'/swappable depending on application so could swap between the above patch antenna or any of these-

AN5805 - HIGH GAIN WHIP ANTENNA 5.8 GHz 5dBi - RPSMA
http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=613

and FPV 12dBi 5.8GHz Antenna (don't know how this omni whip can truly be 12 dbi as it doesn't look long enough)- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... tenna.html

This how to video shows you how to mod the Phantom Transmitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcl-hT5iznY

Recently did the extender mod using TP-Link 8dBi omni, see results below:
Note: Transmitter is stock, during Altitude test it lost control link before wifi at 775m, but didnt lose control link on distance test, may be due to my inexperience with orientation of the omni extender.
Many thanks to all who have had input into this thread, it has been a great help to me :)

Before - Distance : 342m (1122ft)
xLBSXTr.png

After - Distance: 512m (1679ft)
fsIuYkU.png

EuXjDt2.jpg

Before - Altitude:501m (1643ft)
NZgH7SO.png

After - Altitude : +775m (+2542ft)
WYWWPXg.png

qbM01ib.jpg

ahtiram2725 said:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4hHKU

Has anyone tried this? Vertically how high will the quad go? If i want to take the quad vertically high which way should the antennas face and vice versa for horizontal flying? The antennas are only added to the router or something else aswel...

anyone?

theSelf said:
BenDronePilot said:

Thanks Ben for taking the time to create this video! Is it not better to get a dedicated 5.8Ghz upgrade antenna (won't it be more efficient) than a dual 2.4/5.8Ghz antenna as you used?

The antenna on the stock transmitter is the same as used on the 2.4ghz version so I don't feel it makes a difference.

Just upgraded my setup from a 9dbi patch antenna to two 6dbi omnidirectional antennas with two boosters and am very happy with the results.

And I'm currently powering it by a NICD battery pack:

I'm currently limited by my control range but i'm still getting well over a km and i'm enjoying having stronger video regardless of which direction i'm facing.

Re: R: More powerfull repeater?

Going out to test my New 7dbi 5.8 antenna with a 8dbi 2.4 on the repeater

ezutegyd.jpg

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

max.bex said:
Will be interested in this m8 as my next mod is an antenna on the Trans also. The 8dBi on the repeater is same as mine also!
Post back some results please?

First test.with antenna in this position:

2azubume.jpg

I''ve noticed it works at the best in this way (and more than 15/20m altitude) on the left.

5are9avy.jpg

Not much time to test it but easy got 120m (400 ft), after that I''ve had to adjust the extender to catch the line.

I''ll do more test later or tomorrow. I think there are no big problems to get 180/200m with right position of the antenna.

Important was to fly above 15m, below that signal was bed.

No problem to get 120m above my head (20/30m far from me ).

Hope that will help you

2azubume.jpg

I''ve noticed it works at the best in this way (and more than 15/20m altitude) on the left.

5are9avy.jpg

Not much time to test it but easy got 120m (400 ft), after that I''ve had to adjust the extender to catch the line.

I''ll do more test later or tomorrow. I think there are no big problems to get 180/200m with right position of the antenna.

Hope that will help you

max.bex said:

2azubume.jpg

5are9avy.jpg

Hope that will help you

so basically you put the antenna on the wifi extender and the transmitter? how far do you think the quad will go with this setup? also how far HIGH will you go?

ahtiram2725 said:
max.bex said:

2azubume.jpg

5are9avy.jpg

Hope that will help you

so basically you put the antenna on the wifi extender and the transmitter? how far do you think the quad will go with this setup? also how far HIGH will you go?

Yes antenna as I wrote in previous posts.
Don't know how far now . Will test limits in these days.

BenDronePilot said:
theSelf said:
BenDronePilot said:

Thanks Ben for taking the time to create this video! Is it not better to get a dedicated 5.8Ghz upgrade antenna (won't it be more efficient) than a dual 2.4/5.8Ghz antenna as you used?

The antenna on the stock transmitter is the same as used on the 2.4ghz version so I don't feel it makes a difference.

hi Ben,

for the transmitter if i use Tl-ANT2408cl is that sufficient? I am not sure if it is 2.4/5.6ghz as it says it only supports frequency range from 2.4ghz -2.4835ghz? can you please confirm which one you were using? any link?

Guys!! Can you PLEASE stop quoting when the post is still on the same page?
And if really needed REMOVE the pictures?

max.bex said:
where did you find a 5.8Ghz 7dbi antenna (do you have a link please) or is it the dual 2.4 Ghz/5.8GHz antenna that are being sold? So no-one thinks these 'dual band' antennas are less efficient than 'dedicated' solely 5.8Ghz only antennas?

Noël said:
Guys!! Can you PLEASE stop quoting when the post is still on the same page?
And if really needed REMOVE the pictures?
regardless of whether on the same page or not doesn't 'quoting' inform the person with the original quote that you responded to their specific post in order to get a reply or is that only an rcgroups and other forums thing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor