More powerfull repeater?

Skipholiday said:
neither extender antenna have anything to do with how far the Phantom can fly. The stubby antenna on top of the controller is for flight controls, the extender is for your phone display and the Phantom camera to communicate only!
they are referring to the two antennas inside the repeater (2.4Ghz video signal) which run off of 'diversity' automatically changing to the antenna with the strongest signal for maximum video range- not referring to the 5.8Ghz TX RC control antenna...

Skipholiday said:
COtto1984 said:
007trains said:
dave21 said:
Hey guys. I read about 40 pages i have a new question. Are the antennas in the extender both talking to bird or as i ve read one talking to bird and second to phone? It makes big difference before i start thinking of mods. In other way it would be useless to put second better antenna for bigger flight range unless i wanna keep wifi extendeer far from mobile. What is true?

I think the general consensus is that they both talk to the copter in a diversity setup so it shouldn't make any difference which one you choose to use for your mods.
Correct. I can confirm this and have done some testing to verify it is true.
neither extender antenna have anything to do with how far the Phantom can fly. The stubby antenna on top of the controller is for flight controls, the extender is for your phone display and the Phantom camera to communicate only!
Thats what we need man and we deal all the time here. We want the wifi to be extended in order to fly fpv further than stock extender antenna. What is your post good for?

Skipholiday said:
COtto1984 said:
007trains said:
dave21 said:
Hey guys. I read about 40 pages i have a new question. Are the antennas in the extender both talking to bird or as i ve read one talking to bird and second to phone? It makes big difference before i start thinking of mods. In other way it would be useless to put second better antenna for bigger flight range unless i wanna keep wifi extendeer far from mobile. What is true?

I think the general consensus is that they both talk to the copter in a diversity setup so it shouldn't make any difference which one you choose to use for your mods.
Correct. I can confirm this and have done some testing to verify it is true.
Thats what we need man and we deal all the time here. We want the wifi to be extended in order to fly fpv further than stock extender antenna. What is your post good for?

theSelf said:
Skipholiday said:
they are referring to the two antennas inside the repeater (2.4Ghz video signal) which run off of 'diversity' automatically changing to the antenna with the strongest signal for maximum video range- not referring to the 5.8Ghz TX RC control antenna...
thank you for clarification. "bigger flight range" was confusing. Bigger is more+ flight is flying+range is distance= flying further is what I gathered from the concise delineation! Now I know :)

hi guys,

i recently saw something either here or on youtube about someones mod with 2 tp link 8dbi antenna on the router... but i couldn't find it

i believe it was something like this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... -ANT2408CL

anyways i want to know that these antennas are used only on the wifi router? if so how high will the quad go? i am not bothered about horizontal distance but care more about the vertical height...

also where should the antennas be pointing if you want to take the quad high as possible and also which way the antennas should be pointing for horizontal flying?

ahtiram2725 said:
hi guys,

i recently saw something either here or on youtube about someones mod with 2 tp link 8dbi antenna on the router... but i couldn't find it

i believe it was something like this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... -ANT2408CL

anyways i want to know that these antennas are used only on the wifi router? if so how high will the quad go? i am not bothered about horizontal distance but care more about the vertical height...

also where should the antennas be pointing if you want to take the quad high as possible and also which way the antennas should be pointing for horizontal flying?

you know you shouldn't be flying at above 400 feet AGL legally right? I'm a full scale helicopter pilot as well as rc hobbyist- full scale helicopters fly regularly at only 500 feet AGL and often lower (much lower than fixed wing full scale traffic)- especially where I live in Los Angeles- if one these drones hits them (especially with the full scale aircraft traveling at speed)- it can easily take it down (especially if the helicopter's tail rotor is hit) potentially killing the occupants and people on the ground etc- the AMA in the US has had an agreement for years now with the FAA that says all RC pilots must not fly above 400 feet AGL for this very reason (think it's the same in the UK with the CAA)- now the new laws banning aerial photography and UAV's for commercial reasons and needing special licensing is ridiculous and unwarranted- but drones and most RC aircraft are very hard to spot by a full scale pilot to try and avoid a collision...

check out the new agreement between the FAA and AMA here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNowpasLHxo

also here at the FAA website- http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=75599

The police heli's in the uk fly as low as 100ft :|

edit, ok may be not 100ft but its sure less than 400ft :)

NEILS said:
The police heli's in the uk fly as low as 100ft :|

edit, ok may be not 100ft but its sure less than 400ft :)
they do fly that low here too as do many tv news copters-

if any of us are into aerial photography/videography (which the p2v is mainly created for at least of course) you don't need to be above 400 feet AGL anyway as anything above that and you start losing details in your image of what your are shooting on the ground- it's one of the reasons why I enjoy flying full scale helicopters as opposed to planes (because flying low and slow you get the real sensation of flying over the ground and can take in what you are flying over) - at 35000 feet in an airliner you can't see much at all..

theSelf said:
ahtiram2725 said:
hi guys,

you know you shouldn't be flying at above 400 feet AGL legally right? I'm a full scale helicopter pilot as well as rc hobbyist- full scale helicopters fly regularly at only 500 feet AGL and often lower (much lower than fixed wing full scale traffic)- especially where I live in Los Angeles- if one these drones hits them (especially with the full scale aircraft traveling at speed)- it can easily take it down (especially if the helicopter's tail rotor is hit) potentially killing the occupants and people on the ground etc- the AMA in the US has had an agreement for years now with the FAA that says all RC pilots must not fly above 400 feet AGL for this very reason (think it's the same in the UK with the CAA)- now the new laws banning aerial photography and UAV's for commercial reasons and needing special licensing is ridiculous and unwarranted- but drones and most RC aircraft are very hard to spot by a full scale pilot to try and avoid a collision...

check out the new agreement between the FAA and AMA here- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNowpasLHxo

I think the UK CAA height goes up to 1000ft in March 2014. See: http://www.suasnews.com/2013/11/26202/uk-fpv-flyers-gain-weight-and-height/

lucky you- though it seems you do need an exemption to do so and if the last post about helicopters flying as low as 100 feet AGL is true, still a risk

That's specifically for those flying under the FPV exemption and following its criteria to the letter (including having a competent spotter with you) - current exemption terms here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4%20number%20956.pdf

Note I have heard from the chair of FPVUK.org that flying the Vision using the smartphone app would not be deemed as FPV for these purposes - it's aimed at immersive FPV flyers using goggles. If not under the exemption then you can legally fly as far out and as far up as you want provided you can maintain unaided visual contact with the aircraft. Bottom line though, keep a looking and listening watch for all other aircraft - the onus is on all users of uncontrolled airspace to see and avoid.

audis200 said:
PVFlyer said:
duneview said:
Thanks to all the people who have done tests and reported results. The photos and supplier links are also a great help.
I am thinking of another option and would like to hear your comments
For the 8ghz side Im hoping to connect a blue beam cloverleaf on the craft, and a helical ant on the transmitter. These I already have. They are really small and lightweight. This Im told will give a range of about 1 mile. Plenty for me. Yes its extremely directional, but lets face it. The stock system is already directional.
For the 2.4ghz Id also like to use cloverleaf antennas. They are a bit larger, but if I can concoct a way for it to hang below the craft, I should match the range of the 5.8 system. I have the matching ant for the receiver, but having heard the antennas in the camera are LHC, I might try have a helical made to match it.
Being in Dubai, the parts required are harder to find. ( and take a while to be shipped) Much like a previous thread, Id also like to find a U.fl IPX to U.male IPX??. Does anyone know who can knock one up?.. or where I can try?
Any thoughts from the vetrans??

For 5.8G control link, I simply replaced the stock transmitter antenna with a tiny 11 dBi panel, and keep P2V stock antennas. It provides me 2.27 KM range per my range test. Anyway, please share with us what range do you get with 5.8G cloverleaf & helical.
What kinds of 11dBi antenna that you used? Any photos can be shared with us^^

I posted a picture of such 11 dBi antenna at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183&p=58922#p58922

PVFlyer said:
I posted a picture of such 11 dBi antenna at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7183&p=58922#p58922

PVFlyer could you kindly point me to where in this vast thread or another thread we can find a 'tutorial' guide to specifically upgrading the stock 5.8 GHz TX antenna to either your patch or a higher gain omni whip? (I already know how to upgrade the stock 2.4 Ghz video repeater's antennas)- thank you!

theSelf said:
ahtiram2725 said:
hi guys,

in my country there is no law yet on how high drones can fly. in fact a few even know what it is...surely it will happen but right now i might aswell take the advantage of it.....

so does anyone know which mod i am talking about? if so which way should the antenna be pointing etc/

theSelf said:
PVFlyer said:

PVFlyer could you kindly point me to where in this vast thread or another thread we can find a 'tutorial' guide to specifically upgrading the stock 5.8 GHz TX antenna to either your patch or a higher gain omni whip? (I already know how to upgrade the stock 2.4 Ghz video repeater's antennas)- thank you!

You may click the link under my signature to the thread, it's on the first page & third post.

theSelf said:
sangfhas said:
PVFlyer said:
Is it for RX that you post picture,isn't it? How can you install this antenna on PV ?
it's for the TX/remote control- wouldn't make sense to put on the RX on p2V

It is on 5.8G transmitter. In fact, I also consider to put a small 5.8G patch or even helical on P2V with a tiny antenna tracking system pointing the antenna to ground station. Otherwise, I have to boost 5.8G transmitter for longer range, but it is not good for health with high power RF nearby.

PVFlyer said:
It is on 5.8G transmitter. In fact, I also consider to put a small 5.8G patch or even helical on P2V with a tiny antenna tracking system pointing the antenna to ground station. Otherwise, I have to boost 5.8G transmitter for longer range, but it is not good for health with high power RF nearby.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do, except in reverse, by getting the telemetry data going to the mobile device and using it to drive a "smart" patch antenna that keeps itself pointed at the P2V. The telemetry could be read by an Arduino with a wifi shield and used to drive a 2-axis gimbal with the patch antenna. Problem is, somebody with a lot more networking skill than I would have to get into the packets.

For your idea it would be the same issue I have. You can't really do anything unless you can get the telemetry data. Although I suppose there's probably some kind of serial interface in between the P2Vs version of an iOSD an the TX that you might be able to tap into. Unfortunately I don't have that (potential) option from the ground station.

--Varm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor