More powerfull repeater?

I am glad to see the higher res images. I just open them in a new tab to see them - i like being able to see it full-size what was done.

I really look forward to hearing what you learn with the amps you are going to install.

szobell said:
I am glad to see the higher res images. I just open them in a new tab to see them - i like being able to see it full-size what was done.

I really look forward to hearing what you learn with the amps you are going to install.

Yep -- the best way though is if the forum is set to scale the images in the thread, but if you download, or right click and open, you get full res! Best of both worlds..

would we not get a better signal with an omnidirectional antenna? would have to aim less right?
i was thinking of mounting one on a pole or tripod any try one?

Could some1 please confirm how high up can you go with the tplink repeater...also with the stock radio control of the vision, how high can you still control the vision?

mr_3_0_5 said:
would we not get a better signal with an omnidirectional antenna? would have to aim less right?

The way to get longer distance is with a more directional antenna. The antennas that these folks are using are "higher gain" mainly because they are more focused, less directional.

-- Roger

jadebox said:
mr_3_0_5 said:

The way to get longer distance is with a more directional antenna. The antennas that these folks are using are "higher gain" mainly because they are more focused, less directional.

-- Roger

i understand that but if we used an 11dbi omni would it not work good?

ahtiram2725 said:
how high upwards can with vision 2 go with upgrading to the tplink repeater? I would like to do aerial stills from high up as possible, i understand with the tplink repeater, the vision 2 can go as far as 2000ft+ but does that mean it will go up 2000ft as well? And also at 2000ft+ will i still be able to control the vision with my stock radio control (TX) or do i need to apply changes to it as well? please confirm??

With my TP link setup I get over 3200 feet of distance. I'm sure it would be a considerable improvement to your stock setup. I haven't tried to go straight up with it only in front of me. I don't think you'll find a longer range setup.

Hope that helped!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ahtiram2725 said:
how high upwards can with vision 2 go with upgrading to the tplink repeater? I would like to do aerial stills from high up as possible, i understand with the tplink repeater, the vision 2 can go as far as 2000ft+ but does that mean it will go up 2000ft as well? And also at 2000ft+ will i still be able to control the vision with my stock radio control (TX) or do i need to apply changes to it as well? please confirm??

With my TP link setup I get over 3200 feet of distance. I'm sure it would be a considerable improvement to your stock setup. I haven't tried to go straight up with it only in front of me. I don't think you'll find a longer range setup. It would work great for you in my opinion.

Hope that helped!

spazmodic1 said:
Just a little upgrade I'm working on.

Now waiting for my 2.4ghz amps to arrive so i can fit one onto the repeater and one on the P2V.

Took it out today, noticed somewhat of an improvement with attached antenna. Just lost the control signal more often took it to about 650m without too much camera lag.

I should have mounted the SMA connector a little bit towards the bottom of the repeater. i was just able to put the board back in with a little bend in it (which isn't good) with the screws in enough to hold it where it needs to be.

This method leaves your options open to change antennas etc instead of just hard wiring in an antenna directly into the repeater.

My mod idea is similar to yours, with the addition maybe of a toggle switch so I could use the built in internal antenna as an option if I don't want to use a screw in at the time. This does get very nice range as-is after all. By the way, how was the range with the screw in omni directional antenna you have shown? Have you found that to be the same / better or worse then the built in antenna? Just curious.

BenDronePilot said:
spazmodic1 said:
Just a little upgrade I'm working on.

Now waiting for my 2.4ghz amps to arrive so i can fit one onto the repeater and one on the P2V.

Took it out today, noticed somewhat of an improvement with attached antenna. Just lost the control signal more often took it to about 650m without too much camera lag.

I should have mounted the SMA connector a little bit towards the bottom of the repeater. i was just able to put the board back in with a little bend in it (which isn't good) with the screws in enough to hold it where it needs to be.

This method leaves your options open to change antennas etc instead of just hard wiring in an antenna directly into the repeater.

My mod idea is similar to yours, with the addition maybe of a toggle switch so I could use the built in internal antenna as an option if I don't want to use a screw in at the time. This does get very nice range as-is after all. By the way, how was the range with the screw in omni directional antenna you have shown? Have you found that to be the same / better or worse then the built in antenna? Just curious.

Hi Ben,

Yes i was also thinking of adding a switch for exactly the same idea but it would no doubt be tight a tight squeeze mounting it onto the repeater directly, i had enough trouble getting that sma connector in. But i doubt you will go for stock antenna setup once you feel the power massive distance.

Iv had probably 4 flights since adding the antena and im getting "loss of control signal" allot more often than "phantom vision signal broken" so yeh i think its had quite an improvement with the distance of the video link.
in the end its not worth upgrading the 2.4ghz system so it can go huge distances if the 5.8ghz control signal can only go a few hundred meters, if you know what i mean.
So it seems like overkill but really you need 3 amplifiers to get massive distance out of the P2V. Two on the control and one on the P2V.
Anyway ill let you know once it gets all installed.

gpauk,
as an electronics guy, I very much agree, bad idea.
A simple switch could blow out the transmitter circuitry.

Not sure if there's a side-by-side picture yet on this thread, but here it is... 14dbi vs 9dbi:

OB7R443l.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the 9dbi's approximate range is about half of the 14dbi's (i punched in some simulated numbers to an online db-range calculator).

spazmodic1 said:
I was also looking at that antenna and was considering getting it. The only reason i didn't was it is circularly polarized where as the P2V looks to have a couple of dipoles sticking out the bottom, which are vertically polarized. So i couldn't garentee to myself the performance benifits of that antenna. But it would be a whole lot better than the stock antenna thats for sure. Maybe you could mod the P2V and stick 2 of those cloverleaf/mushroom antennas on the bottom which are circularly polarized, i would say that could be a winner.

Oops forgot about that.

How about this guy then? The default rubber duck DJI antenna seems to be 3 or at most 5dbi. This one is 11dbi:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RP-SMA-5-8G-11d ... ccessories

LeoS,
Looks like something to try for The RC antenna, although
the mounting and connecting might be somewhat of a pain.

garygid said:
LeoS,
Looks like something to try for The RC antenna, although
the mounting and connecting might be somewhat of a pain.

Since I've broke the stock 5.8ghz antenna wire and since DJI does not sell that particular part, I'm planning to modify mine so there's an RP-SMA connector where the current rubber duck antenna is located. I've ordered a few 5.8ghz antennas to try. I figure it gives me modularity and smaller packing size if I detach the antenna.

Please post detailed Pics when done very interested
don't like the idea of a non modular antenna at all.. would have rather seen DJI make the antenna so It can be detached...
I have modded my TX so that the USB cable hangs out the back so no need to open it but still would like to see an modular antenna...

I'm planning to upgrade my repeater with a 9db TP-Link antenna and a 1W PA. Do i need two antennas for each of the antennas in the repeater or will it work just as well with just one hooked up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart