More powerfull repeater?

Clarification please:
The stock WiFi range extender contains two small antennas?

One very low power for the local "smartphone" access point,
the Phantom_1xxxxx SSID signal?
What channel does it use?

Then, a higher power (what power level?) antenna to connect up
with the camera's WiFi access point, which might be quite distant?

Then, if we connect this second output to a more-directional antenna,
we get some effective gain in transmitting power, because the
power is not wasted by sending it in a useless direction?

And, we get some effective gain in receiver sensitivity, also
due to the directional antenna, right?

Then, we can transmit and receive over a greater distance,
which is the goal.

So, just hooking the one internal antenna feed (identified ahove)
to the external antenna, we get more distant communication,
but at the expense of having to have the new antenna somewhat
more accurately pointed at the P2V, right?

Done the first testflight with the tplink antenna as described in earlier threads here. 999 meters and beyond was no problem. Stock controller in fcc mode.

Do not think the antenna was especially sensitive regarding directions. Could have it 50-100 meters high and around 200 meters in distance, and the point the antenna the other way without problems. When I reached long distances it was no need for stressing with pinpointing, but of course in the right direction is crucial.

The WiFi repeater needs to have a receiver, and two tuners, one listening
for the signal from the distant P2V, and one listening for the signal from
the Smartphone (or tablet).

jadebox said:
JimBinDallas said:
In addition to the improved antenna, we can potentially significantly improve the strength of the signal going into that antenna.

I doubt that amplification of the transmitted signal is going to help much since it won't affect the signal coming from the camera.

-- Roger

Actually, the transmit power of the amplifier may be its lesser advantage. Even the small amplifiers with just 100mw output also amplify the received signal in the range of 12 - 15 db. With the weak signal from the Phantom camera, that may be the amplifiers most helpful contribution to prevent lost links. The better antennas may make up for the anemic amplifier output, and their increased efficiency coupled with the amplifier receive boost may turn out to be just what the doctor ordered.
Jim

I am going to look into making a switchable antenna mod to the WiFi repeater. I will use an external screw connector and toggle switch that will allow me to use the WiFi repeater as is or with the flick of a switch use an external antenna that can be easily attached or removed.

I also may try the same thing with the transmitter allowing me to toggle between the stock antenna or a higher gain screw in. If anyone has any parts list suggestions let me know. And should I be concerned with a loss of gain from the toggle switch? Will there be added resistance?

And one last mod will be adding an external micro USB to the controller so I don't have to take it apart every time I want to configure or update the firmware,

BJay said:
drone4me said:
anyone know if this will work? it's pretty small

http://www.flyfpv.com/catalog/24ghz-11d ... ch-antenna

it's just a 11db patch antenna and definitely for the do-it-yourselfers.
Could be a possible replacement to the patch antennas already in the wifi extender, does anyone know the specs of them?

It states it's 3.5 sq inches.... or is it 3.5x3.5.. which is larger than the stock wifi enclosure.

I'm trying to bind the Visions camera to my own Edimax WiFi range extender.
It's got much more power and an external antenna connector.

This way I have no need for the original extender that comes with the Vision.
problem is that it does not want to work. The Edimax (in bridge mode) does see the Vision, but that's about it.

Anyone here who managed to get a setup like this to work?

4 square inches is something 2" by 2", an not the same as 4 inches square,
which would be 16 square inches.

So, maybe that circular disc antenna is smaller than you think?

I myself have just ordered 1x 5.8ghz wifi amplifier for the transmitter and 2x 2.4 ghz amplifiers for the video.
So i am planning on installing one amplifier into the PV with a new antenna to boost signals comming from the PV and install another amplifier rigged into the repeater to boost its signal to the PV. and of course the 5.8ghz will improve the control distance. so when i get them in a few days i hope i can get it all to work.

I have spent several hours reading about this group's input on making it better and it seems that everyone wants to help and Uncle Fester and Big Foot are the final say on the known modifications. My P2V is still wrapped up under the tree and there are 5 days left before Christmas. Thanks for all the information that has been posted and as soon as I can get the hang of the P2V I'll start in with the mods. Thanks for the all the info. I hope that I will be able to contribute, either good or bad, I'll pass along lesson learned. Any and all words of advice will be read and considered, mainly because I'm dirt road dumb about the P2V but I intend to learn and I've been a Ham since the 70's Thanks Barrom

Re: Re : More powerfull repeater?

spazmodic1 said:
I myself have just ordered 1x 5.8ghz wifi amplifier for the transmitter and 2x 2.4 ghz amplifiers for the video.
So i am planning on installing one amplifier into the PV with a new antenna to boost signals comming from the PV and install another amplifier rigged into the repeater to boost its signal to the PV. and of course the 5.8ghz will improve the control distance. so when i get them in a few days i hope i can get it all to work.

Hi witch kind of 5.8 ghz booster did you buy ?

drone-man

Re: Re : More powerfull repeater?

spazmodic1 said:

Hi witch kind of 5.8 ghz booster did you buy ?

drone-man

An other nice update would be to add a better antenna to the PV's camera.

I've seen some pictures of an opened camera. (was it on this fourm?)
Not sure if it can be done, but a nice option might be a Cloverleaf antenna tuned for 2412-2462MHz?

Darn, I've cut my transmitter antenna when I was reassembling the fiddly transmitter's case (around the antenna case).

What do you guys think about 5.8ghz spironet antenna?

It seems that I just need to get a U.FL to RP-SMA pigtail cable and a spironet antenna, to replace the default rubber duck (?) antenna.

I was also looking at that antenna and was considering getting it. The only reason i didn't was it is circularly polarized where as the P2V looks to have a couple of dipoles sticking out the bottom, which are vertically polarized. So i couldn't garentee to myself the performance benifits of that antenna. But it would be a whole lot better than the stock antenna thats for sure. Maybe you could mod the P2V and stick 2 of those cloverleaf/mushroom antennas on the bottom which are circularly polarized, i would say that could be a winner.

spazmodic1 said:
I was also looking at that antenna and was considering getting it. The only reason i didn't was it is circularly polarized where as the P2V looks to have a couple of dipoles sticking out the bottom, which are vertically polarized. So i couldn't garentee to myself the performance benifits of that antenna. But it would be a whole lot better than the stock antenna thats for sure. Maybe you could mod the P2V and stick 2 of those cloverleaf/mushroom antennas on the bottom which are circularly polarized, i would say that could be a winner.

I was also wondering that too. if changing the single wire fore clover leaf antennas would give a boost. Though I've heard some say it will make no difference. I don't know if it has actually been tested though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT