More powerfull repeater?

Roger,
Very true for the video channel, but could be a big help for the flight controller (5.8GHz) which is primarily a one way to the P2V.
Jim

Hello Guys... I am a little confused...

I am getting around 150 meters out of the 5.8ghz control in FCC mode and around the same in 2.4ghz mode in FPV mode... I understand how to boost the 2.4ghz mode... but how do I boost the signal from my 5.8ghz TX? I would be very interested in doing that as well...

Thanks for your help...

JC

JimBinDallas said:
Both those antennas are crappy, but that is not important on the slave side since it is expected that the phone will be within a short distance, a few feet. Having that crappy antenna on the master side talking to a PV camera perhaps a mile away is ridiculous. Improving the antenna talking to the camera is a giant step, since it not only strengthens by focusing the transmitted signal to the PV camera, but captures much more of the weak signal coming OUT of the camera.

I do not know which of the two antennas in the repeater is the master talking to the PV and which is the slave talking to the phone. Uncle Fester made knowing that moot when he hooked up two antennas, one to each, guaranteeing success on the first try. Fester used a 14 dBi antenna (model 2414), which has a stronger but narrower beam pattern. The same company makes a model ending in 2409, which is a 9dBi model that is smaller, lighter, and covers a broader beam pattern without quite the reach of the 14dBi model. Both should be good, but the 14 will have better absolute reach in the center of the beam pattern. The datasheets on the TL Link website show the beam patterns for both models.

Oh man! Someone want to buy a 14dBi antenna? I bought two of them. Jim, thanks for the info on that. Now I just have to figure out which one is which on the repeater.

James Cole said:

I am getting around 150 meters out of the 5.8ghz control in FCC mode and around the same in 2.4ghz mode in FPV mode... I understand how to boost the 2.4ghz mode... but how do I boost the signal from my 5.8ghz TX? I would be very interested in doing that as well...

Thanks for your help...

JC

That seems really low. Are you sure you turned the FCC pot all the way up? Maybe your transmitter is bad or the antenna cable has a problem? I get minimum of 250 meters, but usually closer to 300. Do you get that anywhere you fly or are you flying in the same spot.

To figure out which one is the master just do some process and elemination. Open repeater, turn it on and connect to the the phone and PV. Then unplug one of the patch antennas and see what side you loose, either the connection to your phone or the connection to the PV. Who ever trys this report back with your findings.

shartlza said:
To figure out which one is the master just do some process and elemination. Open repeater, turn it on and connect to the the phone and PV. Then unplug one of the patch antennas and see what side you loose, either the connection to your phone or the connection to the PV. Who ever trys this report back with your findings.

Tried that but still got signal. Could one of you that has done this already let us know which connector you connected to? The one on the right or the left in the picture?

anezavy7.jpg

Jdacal said:
shartlza said:

Tried that but still got signal. Could one of you that has done this already let us know which connector you connected to? The one on the right or the left in the picture?

anezavy7.jpg
From my experience it's the left one which is the master.

BJay said:
Jdacal said:
shartlza said:

anezavy7.jpg
From my experience it's the left one which is the master.

Thanks Bjay, will try that one first.

Well then maybe both of them are repeaters and as I thought one could be a horizontal polarized wave and the other is a vertical polorized wave. They probably did this to help have a wide angle of range in both directions.

JimBinDallas said:
Hi All,
Jumping in here late, but have read most of this thread. I deal with installing WiFi commercially.

A repeater always has two antennas, because it has two transmitters. One is treated as the master source that is being repeated. The other is the slave. The vision camera uses 2.4GHz. One of the Visions repeater transmitters is reserved as the master and it only accepts a link to the PV's camera. Hence the magic scan code on the outside of the box to inform the repeater master of the hidden SSID coming from the camera which is all that it will repeat; it will ignore traffic from any other WiFi in the area.

In our case, the slave side is intended to broadcast to your phone or whatever other visual and control display you are using. It's SSID is NOT hidden and you see it and choose it to link your phone to the repeater slave transmitter.

Both those antennas are crappy, but that is not important on the slave side since it is expected that the phone will be within a short distance, a few feet. Having that crappy antenna on the master side talking to a PV camera perhaps a mile away is ridiculous. Improving the antenna talking to the camera is a giant step, since it not only strengthens by focusing the transmitted signal to the PV camera, but captures much more of the weak signal coming OUT of the camera.

I do not know which of the two antennas in the repeater is the master talking to the PV and which is the slave talking to the phone. Uncle Fester made knowing that moot when he hooked up two antennas, one to each, guaranteeing success on the first try. Fester used a 14 dBi antenna (model 2414), which has a stronger but narrower beam pattern. The same company makes a model ending in 2409, which is a 9dBi model that is smaller, lighter, and covers a broader beam pattern without quite the reach of the 14dBi model. Both should be good, but the 14 will have better absolute reach in the center of the beam pattern. The datasheets on the TL Link website show the beam patterns for both models.

In addition to the improved antenna, we can potentially significantly improve the strength of the signal going into that antenna. I say potentially since we don't know how much signal is coming out of the repeater transmitter, but with that little 3.7v battery, it can't be much. Using an inline amplifier e.g. http://dx.com/p/sunhans-sh-2000-2-4...dband-amplifier-signal-booster-silver-214735? you can boost the signal to a full watt (1000 mw) or more depending on the model. The amplifier is just a straight through, inline, connection between the repeater and the antenna. The amplifier has its own wall wart power supply (here 9-12v) that supplies the extra power and could come from a battery.

The same principles apply to the completely independent 5.8GHz flight controller connection. Replace the little rubber duck antenna with a similar rig (this antenna needs to be a 5.8GHz model) to what you are using for the camera and your flight control range goes up significantly. You can get a 5.8Hz amplifier for this also if needed. The only reason it works somewhat further now is that the 5.8GHz band has nowhere near as much noise traffic flying around and the rubber duck is much better than the the teeny 1" patch in the camera repeater. (There is only one receiver channel in the P2V for control, the two antenna wires are there just so you can set them 90 degrees apart to keep from having really bad dead zones.)

My 2 cents
Jim

Nice post, good info tho only thing is I wouldn't exactly call those little built in antennas "crappy" considering I've pulled over 300 meter distance while still maintaining full signal. Now with that said it would be nice to make a mod that would allow you to switch between using the built in internal antenna and an external. It should be simple enough.

Jdacal said:
James Cole said:

Thanks for your help...

JC

That seems really low. Are you sure you turned the FCC pot all the way up? Maybe your transmitter is bad or the antenna cable has a problem? I get minimum of 250 meters, but usually closer to 300. Do you get that anywhere you fly or are you flying in the same spot.

I agree that is way low a distance, I push over 300 meters so far while maintaining full signal.

My TP-Link antenna setup

Check it out =]

Attachments

• IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 679
Re: My TP-Link antenna setup

Good idea Bjay to use a gopro mount;

Wouldn't it be better to put the big TPLink antenna more on the right hand side? to avoid hiding the small 5.8 antenna.
What range di you get with this?

BJay said:
Check it out =]

Looks good! How heavy is it though?

So would people recommend the use of the 9dBi antenna with a wider direction range instead of the 14dBi one?

The DJI website shows a "Coming Soon" picture of a new model named the Phantom FC40.
It looks extremely similar to the current P2 Vision. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

I wonder if it fixes a bunch of the current issues?

Jimpic said:
Good idea Bjay to use a gopro mount;

Wouldn't it be better to put the big TPLink antenna more on the right hand side? to avoid hiding the small 5.8 antenna.
What range di you get with this?
The TPLink doesn't seem to obstruct the signal although I havn't been lucky enough to have a spotter to test this yet. All mounted to my controller I get around 550 meters full wifi before the 5.8 rc cuts out.
This setup the heavy side, personally I'd recommend a smaller one for convenience only, If the antenna is pointing in the general direction you'll get signal.

JimBinDallas said:
The DJI website shows a "Coming Soon" picture of a new model named the Phantom FC40.
It looks extremely similar to the current P2 Vision. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

I wonder if it fixes a bunch of the current issues?

FC40 is DJI's new camera - you see it there mounted on a Phantom 1. It's got wireless control via an app a bit like the Vision, but no repeater so range will be limited, no 1080p, etc. More detail here: http://www.djiguys.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2440

I just ordered the TP-Link 9dBi and a Go-Pro mount similar to BJays. Hopefully the set up works. I think I will wait awhile before installing it after I finally open up the Vision and fly it around stock for awhile, just to make sure that everything is working fine.

Thanks for all the hard work, tips and ideas guys! Great online community!

This is amazing guys.. good work. I'm thinking about the 9dbi antenna due to convenience. I'm wondering what the range would be on it though. I'm sure someone can hack up an enclosure where you can fit both the DJI repeater and the antenna in one enclosure and make it look more OEM. Sounds like something someone can sell.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor