More powerfull repeater?

So since we know we get good result with the TP Link stuff, i was hoping to keep it a little more compact and a little cheaper...

Obviously i wouldn't have the range a 14dBi but 9 will still be a vast improvement - at half the size & price as the 14, i was considering this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TP-Link-TL-A ... 1051182455
& obviously the necessary U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna WiFi Cables.

How do you guys think the 9dBi will realistically fair up?

Turned out too windy to do proper flight tests with the 5.8GHz PA , so I put the PV in the car, drove it to the furthest line of sight point which is about 2km. The PV was still getting a control signal, in the car... So looks good!

Are most of you doing a single (horizontal) polarized directional antenna or has anyone used a dual polarized (horizontal & vertical)? Most duals are a little bigger 12" to 15" squares and are about 3-6Lbs, as well as more expensive. I am wondering if it would be worth it with the extra size and cost. Also I would like to be able to mount this on the controller still, which in that case size could matter. ;)

Any thoughts or input would be great. Thanks

uncle fester said:
good work adam sweet vid! still waiting for someone to try a booster? any takers?

I would order one and try it but I need to get my 5.8ghz control side figured out / modded first.

Postby shartlza » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:03 pm
Are most of you doing a single (horizontal) polarized directional antenna or has anyone used a dual polarized (horizontal & vertical)? Most duals are a little bigger 12" to 15" squares and are about 3-6Lbs, as well as more expensive. I am wondering if it would be worth it with the extra size and cost. Also I would like to be able to mount this on the controller still, which in that case size could matter. ;)

Any thoughts or input would be great. Thanks

I just ordered the Dual Pol

http://www.balticnetworks.com/itelite-m ... l-pol.html

I'll post my experience after it arrives.

shartlza said:
Uarts314,

I have emailed that company about putting on U.FL pigtails instead of the MMCX ones it comes with, so you can hook it strait to the repeater.

oh my; I did not see that. I'm new to this and the connectors looked sort of like the U.FL pigtails and I assumed MMCX was another way of saying U.FL.

I suppose I'll have to replace them with U.FL; shouldn't be a big deal; I hope

Thanks for follow up.

If you just ordered you can email them and if they have not finished you order they can change it. They told me i could if i had already placex an order.

gpauk said:
Turned out too windy to do proper flight tests with the 5.8GHz PA , so I put the PV in the car, drove it to the furthest line of sight point which is about 2km. The PV was still getting a control signal, in the car... So looks good!

Can you tell me what you are using for a PA / Antenna for 5.8

Thanks !

My TP-link antenna arrived and I hooked it all up today, from my house I got a max range of 600meters before the 5.8 control signal failed.
Will post details of the setup later along with photos.

rftech said:
gpauk said:

Can you tell me what you are using for a PA / Antenna for 5.8

Thanks !

The PA is a 1W 6cm kit from https://www.minikits.com.au/
The antenna is just a 2.5dBi rubber duck style I had laying around. Nothing special at all!

I have a 13dBi flat panel on order... that will be interesting!

shartlza said:
If you just ordered you can email them and if they have not finished you order they can change it. They told me i could if i had already placex an order.

Excellent; just received a phone call from balticnetworks; very nice folks, sounded very sharp and professional. They are communicating with the manuf and having the U.FL pigtails included at N/C.

I'll let you'all know the results.

uarts314 said:
gpauk said:
The PA is a 1W 6cm kit from https://www.minikits.com.au/
The antenna is just a 2.5dBi rubber duck style I had laying around. Nothing special at all!

Appears to be the: http://www.minikits.com.au/6cm-1W-Amplifier

What style connectors are needed? SMA06 or SMA13? Also, the heatsink; What did you use there?

I have loads of connectors here - so I fitted a male to the input (as we use loads of ufl to sma female leads for work) and a female on the output (as the antenna is a male sma!).
Heatsink is currently what I had laying around. Once it's all settled I'll tidy it up and post some pics!

gpauk said:
I have loads of connectors here - so I fitted a male to the input (as we use loads of ufl to sma female leads for work) and a female on the output (as the antenna is a male sma!).
Heatsink is currently what I had laying around. Once it's all settled I'll tidy it up and post some pics!

Just ordered my kit; now I have a dumb question which I should have asked before.

Will the amp work with FCC signalling?

Hi All,
Jumping in here late, but have read most of this thread. I deal with installing WiFi commercially.

A repeater always has two antennas, because it has two transmitters. One is treated as the master source that is being repeated. The other is the slave. The vision camera uses 2.4GHz. One of the Visions repeater transmitters is reserved as the master and it only accepts a link to the PV's camera. Hence the magic scan code on the outside of the box to inform the repeater master of the hidden SSID coming from the camera which is all that it will repeat; it will ignore traffic from any other WiFi in the area.

In our case, the slave side is intended to broadcast to your phone or whatever other visual and control display you are using. It's SSID is NOT hidden and you see it and choose it to link your phone to the repeater slave transmitter.

Both those antennas are crappy, but that is not important on the slave side since it is expected that the phone will be within a short distance, a few feet. Having that crappy antenna on the master side talking to a PV camera perhaps a mile away is ridiculous. Improving the antenna talking to the camera is a giant step, since it not only strengthens by focusing the transmitted signal to the PV camera, but captures much more of the weak signal coming OUT of the camera.

I do not know which of the two antennas in the repeater is the master talking to the PV and which is the slave talking to the phone. Uncle Fester made knowing that moot when he hooked up two antennas, one to each, guaranteeing success on the first try. Fester used a 14 dBi antenna (model 2414), which has a stronger but narrower beam pattern. The same company makes a model ending in 2409, which is a 9dBi model that is smaller, lighter, and covers a broader beam pattern without quite the reach of the 14dBi model. Both should be good, but the 14 will have better absolute reach in the center of the beam pattern. The datasheets on the TL Link website show the beam patterns for both models.

In addition to the improved antenna, we can potentially significantly improve the strength of the signal going into that antenna. I say potentially since we don't know how much signal is coming out of the repeater transmitter, but with that little 3.7v battery, it can't be much. Using an inline amplifier e.g. http://dx.com/p/sunhans-sh-2000-2-4...dband-amplifier-signal-booster-silver-214735? you can boost the signal to a full watt (1000 mw) or more depending on the model. The amplifier is just a straight through, inline, connection between the repeater and the antenna. The amplifier has its own wall wart power supply (here 9-12v) that supplies the extra power and could come from a battery.

The same principles apply to the completely independent 5.8GHz flight controller connection. Replace the little rubber duck antenna with a similar rig (this antenna needs to be a 5.8GHz model) to what you are using for the camera and your flight control range goes up significantly. You can get a 5.8Hz amplifier for this also if needed. The only reason it works somewhat further now is that the 5.8GHz band has nowhere near as much noise traffic flying around and the rubber duck is much better than the the teeny 1" patch in the camera repeater. (There is only one receiver channel in the P2V for control, the two antenna wires are there just so you can set them 90 degrees apart to keep from having really bad dead zones.)

My 2 cents
Jim

JimBinDallas said:
In addition to the improved antenna, we can potentially significantly improve the strength of the signal going into that antenna.

I doubt that amplification of the transmitted signal is going to help much since it won't affect the signal coming from the camera.

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj