More powerfull repeater?

Good morning,

Been following this thread for a few days and I must admit I'm inspired by some of your results. I've only had my vision for 3 days however in the 6 flights its made in varying locations around Vancouver, Canada I have had everything from 950-1750 ft range, seeing both loss of connection on the 5.8 control and 2.4 GHz wifi.

This morning I ordered up a pair of the tp-link 9dbi panels which I will make a custom bracket for off the side of the controller. My plan is to 3d print this bracket and design it such that it can articulate to adjust antenna with the position of the vision. I chose this over the 14dbi due to the much wider beamwidth of 65 degrees vs I think it was 20 or less with the 14 dBi. Having the diversified antennas should help a lot, especially if one of the antennas is mounted 90 out of phase with the other to give an alternate polarization.

With respect to the control I've ordered the 9dbi whip others have mentioned from Amazon. Looks like chinese junk but I'll give it a go. I'm looking at the Shireen Inc 58103 bi directional 5.8 GHz amplifier. It looks like this thing should put out between 1 and 2 watts of rf. What I particularly like is that it is super small meaning it could be installed inside the controller. It also runs on 6vdc which means the AA battery supply for the remote should be suitable. I know this thing will drink batteries so I'll have to use some hicap NiMH or lithium batteries.

Here's the spec sheet on the amp:

http://www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Vide ... 8103-B.pdf

What do you guys think.

Here is a video I put together to help out guys who want to mod their Phantom 2 Vision for long range FPV. Hope it helps some of guys out who are new to this. I uploaded it in 1080p if you watch it directly on YouTube. I realized I left out a bit about 5.8ghz control and mods for that (which I haven't done yet).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9_LbSdm5E[/youtube]

Very well done video! It's interesting to see how far you can get with the standard TX when you don't have any tall trees or other structures in the way. Any hints on maxing your 5.8 signal? I tend to fly antenna straight up unless I'm climbing close to me, in which case I point the antenna back towards my head. Generally I lose control at about 1000ft in any direction, but I haven't found any completely flat, completely open areas to fly it yet, so it might be taller trees and other clutter absorbing my signal.

Adam said:
Here is a video I put together to help out guys who want to mod their Phantom 2 Vision for long range FPV. Hope it helps some of guys out who are new to this. I uploaded it in 1080p if you watch it directly on YouTube. I realized I left out a bit about 5.8ghz control and mods for that (which I haven't done yet).
]

Hi Adam,

Thanks for a great video! So just to be clear before I do this. No modifications on the actual quadcopter, just on the wifi unit?

Do you find you have to be turning that antenna array a lot, or signal stays fine as long as you are flying it in that general direction?

Again thanks for a great video, and thanks to all who have contributed from the start of the thread.

My only other question to anyone who might know. Are you aware of a stand to mount the antennas that would be collapsible and easy to transport in the car trunk?

Jdacal said:
My only other question to anyone who might know. Are you aware of a stand to mount the antennas that would be collapsible and easy to transport in the car trunk?

You might be able to find a collapsible PA/speaker stand from a music shop/DJ supplier. They tend to be of the type with a main pole that's extendable and the legs fold up along the pole. very quick and dirty google search brought up this which is the sort of thing I mean: http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/ ... adp:1o5|mt:

Pull_Up said:
Very well done video! It's interesting to see how far you can get with the standard TX when you don't have any tall trees or other structures in the way. Any hints on maxing your 5.8 signal? I tend to fly antenna straight up unless I'm climbing close to me, in which case I point the antenna back towards my head. Generally I lose control at about 1000ft in any direction, but I haven't found any completely flat, completely open areas to fly it yet, so it might be taller trees and other clutter absorbing my signal.

I wasn't able to test my repeater in an open area before I modded it. All tests were done in neighborhoods at 400 to 500 ft with a clear line of sight to the Vision. The test area where I got the 3207 feet was great because I started on a high service road and there are no competing 2.4 ghz signals out there (home wifi networks). I suspect I would have obtained the 600-900 feet out there like some of you are.

I haven't modded my transmitter at all. At 3207 feet I did get a Control failure warning for a second. That's why I didn't push it any farther, I wasn't going to mod my transmitter, but now I may have to....waiting to see what you guys come up with here. There are cheap, small directional 5.8 antennas on the internet that I suspect would help.

Jdacal said:
Adam said:
]

Hi Adam,

Thanks for a great video! So just to be clear before I do this. No modifications on the actual quadcopter, just on the wifi unit?

Do you find you have to be turning that antenna array a lot, or signal stays fine as long as you are flying it in that general direction?

Again thanks for a great video, and thanks to all who have contributed from the start of the thread.

No mods on the p2V, correct. I offset my antennas slightly and did not move it, I even flew behind the antenna a few times, but not far, with no issues.

Good suggestions from pull_up on the antenna stands.

Pull_Up said:
Jdacal said:

You might be able to find a collapsible PA/speaker stand from a music shop/DJ supplier. They tend to be of the type with a main pole that's extendable and the legs fold up along the pole. very quick and dirty google search brought up this which is the sort of thing I mean: http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/ ... adp:1o5|mt:

Thanks Pull_Up, that's a great idea.

Adam,

Thanks so much for that great video !! Those are outstanding results !! With the Ground Station Firmware update that is due out in late Dec / early Jan, I imagine that your range is really going to be limited more by your battery capacity than anything else !!

One quick question......I noticed that you have just moved the repeater from the Transmitter to the Antenna Pole which makes perfect sense. Im curious as to how far away the repeater can be from the Phone (i.e. 5, 10 , 20 feet) or if you've even tested that part.

I guess the next step would be to make the setup a "trackable" or directional type setup !! :)

-Bill

Bill,

Yes, my neighbor who is also into R/C told me about "tracking" antenna setups. I am going to redesign it to where it is on a swivel where I can swing it around as needed.

So, when I can come over and hang out at Northrop Grumman and fly some real UAS with you??

Adam,

Believe me when I say these things are a lot more fun than the multi million dollar Birds I fly with NGC !! Not to mention that I've spent 3 of the last 5 years over in a pretty sketchy country ! :)

I wonder if you friend was referring to the directional setup that eagle tree produces ? At any rate I appreciate for efforts and documentation !!

Bill Higgins Jr.

GREAT video Adam! Awesome job! You know.... with that set up you could face the antennas in opposite direction for full 360 degree coverage if you ever wanted to... This would be a great idea for a modified camera tripod! Again THANKS for taking the time to do this Adam!

Rob

Adam said:
Bill,

Yes, my neighbor who is also into R/C told me about "tracking" antenna setups. I am going to redesign it to where it is on a swivel where I can swing it around as needed.

So, when I can come over and hang out at Northrop Grumman and fly some real UAS with you??

Ideally a gimbal antenna mount and an auto tracking system :)
Could put a big 5.8GHz antenna on that too...

Talking about distance, I got a 513 meters with a power line and trees in between. ;)

PV is totally stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 724
Adam, some of the Parrot AR Drone flyers do something similar. I used a setup similar to yours, but instead of hard-wiring the antenna, I used a WiFi repeater and a directional antenna. I don't know why that would not work with the WiFi system on the PV.

I suppose that you would connect your WiFi repeater to the PV's WiFi network, and then your iPhone to the repeater's WiFi. Works like a charm with a Parrot. That way, you don't have to open your repeater, and I'm really sure that the Amped Wireless SR10000 repeater I am using is more powerful than the little DJI repeater.

This is an Amped Wireless SR10000 and their 14dbi directional antenna.

amped.jpg

That setup got a 1/2 mile range with an UNMODIFIED Parrot AR Drone 2.0. With the Parrot, you are doing FPV AND piloting the drone via WiFi...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrASJ5vzXAk[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl