Maximum Flying Temperature

Reaction score
Summer is fast upon us and since I have not had my phantom very long yet I am pondering our temps and flying in this area. According to DJI the maximum operating temp is only 104 degrees. Well, here where I live in Arizona that would prevent my flying the bird for most of the summer. What is the hottest temp any of you have flown in? Would you really ground yourself if it were over 104? Now I have little interest in flying when the temp is 115 or greater but 104 here with very little humidity is not an onerous temp. What do you all think?

This is not so much the maximum operating temperature which the quad will fly at, but the maximum temperature at which is was tested. That does not mean you wont hit problems above that temperature, but the two things are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
DJI have been pretty conservative with their recommendations for minimum temp and wind speed.
You're not going to find that the Phantom flies at 104º but falls out of the sky at 105º.

I've flown near 100F in my area. You'll find issues well before reaching "tested" 104F, if there are any issues. The sun alone will heat up the unit well beyond 104F. I vented my bird to help with air flow, my main concern was the wifi module overheating. So far the venting has worked, got to 86F this weekend with no loss of FPV...this would have been an issue previously. Overall the battery, motors and cover are cooler at the end of a flight. I may just hook up a temp. recorder to monitor the internal temps, just out of curiosity.

Good luck!

Using kenargo's UF app, I'm tracking battery temp and it's not uncommon for the battery to go from 60's F, to around 90F just in easy flying at air temps in the 70s. That's the battery, not the motors, ESCs or Wifi module. I'd be surprised if those items aren't already hitting near that now.

Using kenargo's UF app, I'm tracking battery temp and it's not uncommon for the battery to go from 60's F, to around 90F just in easy flying at air temps in the 70s. That's the battery, not the motors, ESCs or Wifi module. I'd be surprised if those items aren't already hitting near that now.
That's interesting knowledge. I agree, regarding the other heaters, mainly the wifi module. It'll be interesting to know what the battery gets to when the ambient temp's are even higher. Thanks for the info about kenargo's UF app...I had no clue the battery temp was monitored.

I only discovered because I was using it in conjunction with Dashware.

DJI have been pretty conservative with their recommendations for minimum temp and wind speed.
You're not going to find that the Phantom flies at 104º but falls out of the sky at 105º.
Of course the difference between 104 and 105 is negligible, the condescension is not needed.

Of course the difference between 104 and 105 is negligible, the condescension is not needed.

I didn't see any. I thought you were given a helpful answer.

Last edited:
I think the point made was that although there was a limit imposed to the testing environment, exceeding that slightly is unlikely to be an issue, so don't worry about it. This was genuine help being offered. If you don't like it that is your choice. Don't get your knickers in a twist over it. Move on. :rolleyes:

I think the point made was that although there was a limit imposed to the testing environment, exceeding that slightly is unlikely to be an issue, so don't worry about it. This was genuine help being offered. If you don't like it that is your choice. Don't get your knickers in a twist over it. Move on. :rolleyes:
it is possible my knickers were a bit askew and I misinterpreted his post. The problem with many forums is that some of the old hands find amusement in scoffing at the legitimate concerns and questions posed by newcomers. Your responses I found thoughtful and considerate, his....not so much. But I will keep in mind your admonition.

Well Mr Over-Sensitive .. read my post again.
I started by saying that DJI have been over conservative with some of their recommendations.
Their suggestions for wind speed are very much less than the Phantom can handle easily.
We've had members reporting safe flying in temperatures well below the DJI minimum temp figure.
I was suggesting that their max temperature suggestions could be taken in a similar light.

Your problem is that you find insult where there is none and then irritate people without justification.

Last edited:
Well Mr Over-Sensitive .. read my post again.
I started by saying that DJI have been over conservative with some of their recommendations.
Their suggestions for wind speed are very much less than the Phantom can handle easily.
We've had members reporting safe flying in temperatures well below the DJI minimum temp figure.
I was suggesting that their max temperature suggestions could be taken in a similar light.

Your problem is that you find insult where there is none and then irritate people without justification.
So how is the minimum flying temp analogous to the max flying temp? Keeping in mind that the rigors of flight actually create heat which would ameliorate cold flying issues while that same heat would exacerbate flying issues in high temps? But I really am sorry I irritated you, knowing a one degree difference in temperature will not grenade my phantom is valuable information and answers my OP totally. I was trying to end the silliness in my last post but if you want to continue the needless contention further I am your Huckleberry.

what we got here is just a slip of da keys !.png
o_O

The wind limits on the Phantom (as per DJI recommendations) probably account for the poor speed during a failsafe scenario... RTH fly into a strong headwind won't get you anywhere before you run out of battery.
Any tried it?!

For some unexplained reason, DJI decided to set RTH speed well below normal flying speed.
RTH in calm weather is slower than it should be.
RTH against the wind could result in your Phantom not making it home If the wind is too much for the slow RTH speed even though the Phantom could make it safely if the pilot was controlling the craft..

Temp relates to density altitude. As does your elevation, dewpoint and altimeter. For example, if you are taking off at a location in which the ground elevation is lets say 7000' MSL (Flagstaff AZ) and the temp is in the 90's (f) all other factors included, you are taking off from an equivalent of 10,000 MSL. Which in basic terms means the air is thinner and you get less lift. Every aircraft (even models) have specific weight limitations based on the load, performance and takeoff/flight elevation. If density altitude is a factor you must include it in computing your limits. My guess is the temp limits may be based on electronics overheat and not so much flight elevation but there's lots of info on web regarding density altitude. You can find calculators online like the one here:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31