Mars Drone

It also has a helicopter strap to it. Copied from another of our forums....
The rover also has a helicopter named Ingenuity strapped to its belly that will deploy shortly after a safe landing on the red planet. Will it fly in Atti Mode ? Exciting new technology, flying waypoint, short missions, on Mars.

It also has a helicopter strap to it. Copied from another of our forums....
The rover also has a helicopter named Ingenuity strapped to its belly that will deploy shortly after a safe landing on the red planet. Will it fly in Atti Mode ? Exciting new technology, flying waypoint, short missions, on Mars.
From another post there..
The tech behind this aircraft that must fly in an air density of only 1% that of earth is impressive... There are videos out there showing it flying in a "1% atmosphere with a helper cable to simulate the correct amount of gravity.

Cool stuff... Apparently it is VERY loud with blades going near 300 rpm (compared to about 500 for a normal helicopter)

Guys I missed it but is another thread on this Mars Helicopter

From another post there..
The tech behind this aircraft that must fly in an air density of only 1% that of earth is impressive... There are videos out there showing it flying in a "1% atmosphere with a helper cable to simulate the correct amount of gravity.

Cool stuff... Apparently it is VERY loud with blades going near 300 rpm (compared to about 500 for a normal helicopter)

Guys I missed it but is another thread on this Mars Helicopter
Wow that's some cool stuff alright ,love the rpms

It's going to bury the rover in dust. With less gravity, it should take off like a rocket, compared to the earth test. Maybe the rover will take flight? Lol. The whole operation could be compromised by a crash?

It's going to bury the rover in dust. With less gravity, it should take off like a rocket, compared to the earth test. Maybe the rover will take flight? Lol. The whole operation could be compromised by a crash?
I've seen a simulation somewhere that shows the heli being dropped and the Rover driving away before it takes flight. That would certainly make sense with the amazing cameras that are fitted to the Rover - you wouldn't want them getting dusty.

Let's face it, NASA isn't staffed by muppets - they've probably thought everything through.

Amazing achievement yesterday.

It's not gonna take off like a rocket due to low gravity, it's going to have to overcome lack of any air to push. Above post says 1% of earth atmosphere. Kinda like taking off from Denver vs sea level.

It's not gonna take off like a rocket due to low gravity, it's going to have to overcome lack of any air to push. Above post says 1% of earth atmosphere. Kinda like taking off from Denver vs sea level.
Closer to the top of Mt Everest or K2 instead of Denver. Should be an interesting to follow.

This makes me ask several questions; Since there are no GPS satellites for the helicopter to lock onto to keep track of where it is, is is going to go solely on cameras? How can they plan a waypoint mission without satellite? They need to work on their landings. It really hits the ground hard. I'm wondering how they are transporting the images back to earth? Are they stored locally on an SD card on the helicopter, then transferred later? Or is there no storage, and it depends on an RF-link to send the video/photos back to Perserverance?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues