Map location vs reality

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 pro +
And I live 1320 feet from the center line of our local airport and the map and controller says I am next to an airport 30 miles from my house.

I am a pilot of 50 years and know the gas refs., how do I fix this so I can fly my drone????

And I live 1320 feet from the center line of our local airport and the map and controller says I am next to an airport 30 miles from my house.
Can you explain that again?
So far it sounds like you are saying that the app is locating you 30 miles from where you are but that doesn't make sense.
Maybe a screenshot of the map view would help.

Reactions: AirMan05446
Can you explain that again?
So far it sounds like you are saying that the app is locating you 30 miles from where you are but that doesn't make sense.
Maybe a screenshot of the map view would help.
The map in my controller is correct, but the caption on the screen says I am next to an airport 30 miles from me. My yard is 1,320 feet from the center line of our class three airport, given the distance I am from the airport, and the inverted cone of no fly zone; my from should fly legally to a height of 200 feet. How can I fix this?????

The map in my controller is correct, but the caption on the screen says I am next to an airport 30 miles from me. My yard is 1,320 feet from the center line of our class three airport, given the distance I am from the airport, and the inverted cone of no fly zone; my from should fly legally to a height of 200 feet. How can I fix this?????
It's still not clear to me.
Does the screen message say 30 miles? How do you know what airport it's referring to?
How about a screen shot (or 2)?

I live in rural Wyoming. The screen states the name of the airport. I know it is 30 miles, I am a pilot and have flown in there many times

The problem is my drone will not fly
I am outside of the restricted flight area of my local airport

Can you help????

Thanks. Looks like Phifer Airpark. If you reference a VFR sectional chart for that area, are you sure you are located outside the class E airspace?

Can you fill us in on what your app screen says when you try to take off.

(sorry for all the questions, but the more info you can provide the forum members the easier it will be to help solve this problem.)

The app says I am near the Guernsey airport. In the upper left corner it says restricted area, next to that it says electric interference. People, I live in the sticks, I know where darn near every airport and landing strip is within a 300 mile radius, and I can tell you we are lucky to have electricity and I know there is not interference

If it is possible, does anyone have a clue how this problem might be solved, I just do not have time to spend on this if there is no solutions

Thank y'all for the consideration

I can see where this would be frustrating. Have you tried different locations to try to launch? Maybe if the app will set a home point elsewhere it will not show you in restricted airspace/location. Maybe uninstall and reinstall the app ?
It's strange that the app shows the craft 30 miles from its location.

I know you would like a 'quick-fix' answer to this issue, but I am just guessing here. But don't give up. Not yet.

The app says I am near the Guernsey airport. In the upper left corner it says restricted area, next to that it says electric interference. People, I live in the sticks, I know where darn near every airport and landing strip is within a 300 mile radius, and I can tell you we are lucky to have electricity and I know there is not interference

If it is possible, does anyone have a clue how this problem might be solved, I just do not have time to spend on this if there is no solutions

Thank y'all for the consideration

This is not a map location problem - it appears to be an error in the DJI Geo database, which shows KGUR in two different locations, one correct and one at the location of KEAN (your location) near Wheatland.

screenshot42.png

screenshot44.png

Good catch @sar104. Never would have considered that.

I run very old firmware on my P3S's that does not include DJI's GeoFencing garbage. Haven't updated in years.

Right. For anyone running later versions it's one of the first things to check. The Geo system is a fine idea in principle, but too ambitious, apparently, for the resources they assigned to it, and not fully thought out.

Can you fill us in on what your app screen says when you try to take off.

(sorry for all the questions, but the more info you can provide the forum members the easier it will be to help solve this problem.)
Captain Mile High, Thank you for taking the time to help resolve this problem. Yes, the aircraft will fly in other locations, but I have to drive a long way from home. On one of these post, it indicates the Guernsey airport in two locations, one of which is at Wheatland and the restricted area is vast. It says it is a problem with DJI and I believe geo cache. It also says in the post I can not fix it., so it appears both you and I have wasted our time in trying to get this craft to fly where it should fly. I hope you have had much better luck than I with DJI and their service, I so looked forward to using this drone in my cattle business and real estate business, and I have yet to fly it for more than 5 minutes. Again, thank you for your help and input.

Right. For anyone running later versions it's one of the first things to check. The Geo system is a fine idea in principle, but too ambitious, apparently, for the resources they assigned to it, and not fully thought out.

Yep, the DJI Geo system is a bit of overkill on DJI's part.....but I understand their thinking. They are just covering their butt.

@besthazer, at least you know what the issue is now. As for not being able to correct it, I would contact DJI and inform them of the error. Hopefully they will be able to correct the error in the database. Can't hurt to try. Good luck [emoji106]

Captain Mile High, Thank you for taking the time to help resolve this problem. Yes, the aircraft will fly in other locations, but I have to drive a long way from home. On one of these post, it indicates the Guernsey airport in two locations, one of which is at Wheatland and the restricted area is vast. It says it is a problem with DJI and I believe geo cache. It also says in the post I can not fix it., so it appears both you and I have wasted our time in trying to get this craft to fly where it should fly. I hope you have had much better luck than I with DJI and their service, I so looked forward to using this drone in my cattle business and real estate business, and I have yet to fly it for more than 5 minutes. Again, thank you for your help and input.

That was my post that pointed out the cause of your problem - one that you could easily have discovered for yourself if you had visited the DJI website. And nowhere did I say that it could not be fixed. You will need to contact DJI to report the error - they can fix their database.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl