Manual Exposure?

Reaction score
Is there a manual exposure mode somewhere or is that not available?
Even something like a shutter or iso priority that I can use in conjunction with the AE Lock would work.

Still getting used to everything..

Even something like a shutter or iso priority that I can use in conjunction with the AE Lock would work.

Press the three lines below the record button and it will pop up

Press the three lines below the record button and it will pop up

Oh I had no idea the right wheel is also a button!

Wait but when I come out of that menu, the camera goes back to auto settings. It doesn't save the iso and shutter that I select?

Or if it's in auto mode the right shoulder wheel controls EV

Yeah I've been doing it that way and hitting AE lock, but the camera has a mind of its own and changes iso and shutter to meet the exposure that I want. I'd like to choose what iso and/or shutter settings to use, if possible.

I have noticed with AWB and Sunny that almost everything is overexposed Only 3 flights on this new system myself but

I hear you everything seems very over exposed in auto unless I lock stuff still figuring this new camera out. My Phantom vision 2 was not as complicated. I also am getting a lot of jello even in hover grrrr

Yeah I'm not sure what the purpose of the Advanced Camera setting is if it doesn't save or implement any of the settings???

OK I think I found the answer on the Inspire forum..

You enter the Advanced Camera settings menu, and then SWIPE the menu away on the screen. Now you're able to fly around and film, while using the wheel to change either the iso or the shutter. You can switch between iso and shutter by pressing the wheel like a button.

Unintuitive! But it works. Pretty nice to have manual exposure control, definitely another plus over the GoPro route. I finally feel like I'm all set now.

Last edited:
I have noticed with AWB and Sunny that almost everything is overexposed Only 3 flights on this new system myself but

I hear you everything seems very over exposed in auto unless I lock stuff still figuring this new camera out. My Phantom vision 2 was not as complicated. I also am getting a lot of jello even in hover grrrr

Same for me... everything is Overexposed. Still learning the camera modes. Also, any ideas on shielding the lens?

Same for me... everything is Overexposed. Still learning the camera modes. Also, any ideas on shielding the lens?

After using the phantom a bit now, I think a lens hood would be really useful. Hopefully someone will come out with one?

A lot of jello in hover is a symptom of rotor or motor issues. Bring your bird down close to the ground and watch it closely. If the quad is shaking at 5 ft elevation, it needs to be shutdown and evaluated on a bench. The last thing you want is a motor failure at altitude like Adam Kontras experienced. Read the thread about the crash with flight record video.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
A lot of jello in hover is a symptom of rotor or motor issues. Bring your bird down close to the ground and watch it closely. If the quad is shaking at 5 ft elevation, it needs to be shutdown and evaluated on a bench. The last thing you want is a motor failure at altitude like Adam Kontras experienced. Read the thread about the crash with flight record video.
yes I am dealing with dji now on this, going to make a few flights this weekend if weather will cooperate to verify a few things . Just hate to be phantom less for 6 weeks in mid summer grrrrrrr:mad: As I just sold my others

Hey

I noticed flying today that if I have the video in manual mode, the exposure is determined automatically and I can’t adjust it.

I have very little understanding of ISO and shutter speed which is likely the source of the problem, but as an example, I wanted to film with an ISO of 100 and shutter of 50. The exposure would go to +2.0 automatically and there seems to be no way to change that exposure value and keep the ISO and shutter speeds. Am I missing a step in the camera settings, or I am I just confused about how ISO, shutter speed and exposure work and trying to do something that doesn’t make sense? Thanks

Hey

I noticed flying today that if I have the video in manual mode, the exposure is determined automatically and I can’t adjust it.

I have very little understanding of ISO and shutter speed which is likely the source of the problem, but as an example, I wanted to film with an ISO of 100 and shutter of 50. The exposure would go to +2.0 automatically and there seems to be no way to change that exposure value and keep the ISO and shutter speeds. Am I missing a step in the camera settings, or I am I just confused about how ISO, shutter speed and exposure work and trying to do something that doesn’t make sense? Thanks

The EV value shows if the image will potentially be over or under exposed based on the ISO and shutter speed settings you have dialed in manually. If it is showing as +2.0 then the image maybe over exposed, if its showing -2.0 then the image maybe underexposed, I use the term "maybe" because it will also depend on what you are actually trying to achieve, keeping detail in either the highlights or shadows, so there is not a definitive right or wrong.
If you are adamant that you want to keep the shutter at 50 and you already have the ISO set to 100, which is the least sensitive setting, the only way to reduce the amount of light entering the lens to prevent the image from being overexposed is to use a ND filter (Neutral Density). do a search there are many threads on this.
If you have it in Auto mode the only setting you can change manually is the EV, the camera will then set the ISO and shutter speed to match the EV you dialed in.

This is the option I went with for ND filters, I suggest you read the thread as there are examples of footage with and without filters, they are delicate but great value for money, I'm in the UK and mine turned up after about a week just waiting to get out and fly.
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...-weight-updated-with-comparison-photos.42196/

Hope this helps

You may as well forget about the 'ideal' of keeping shutter at 1/50.
It's important with semi-pro equipment and SLR video but with this camera you can't realistically do it even with filters because the iris is fixed.
Results will be practically unaffected in most situations by higher shutter speed.
There's also no need to think about doubling to 1/100 etc either, it really isn't important.
It's still best to keep it low as possible of course because fast shutter speed is more prone to looking jittery, and slower shutter will give smoother look but hardly detectable until below 1/50

Reactions: ctp
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

When using the ND gel, are you just putting behind the sandwiching it between the o ring and the glass lens cover?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31