"Manhattanhenge" photographing it for New Yorkers

Ari

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will not be attempting this so please save the comments.

This weekend "manhattanhenge" will occur.

"In short, Manhattanhenge is when the sunset aligns perfectly with the city's grid. This happens twice a year with a full sun, and twice a year with a half sun—all four times the sun illuminates both the north and south sides of every cross street of the borough's grid. It is our Stonehenge, and deGrasse Tyson has declared it to be "a unique urban phenomenon in the world, if not the universe."

Would you attempt to photograph this with a drone? Has anyone tried to fly this in close proximity to tall buildings? Side note, I feel like the financial district FIDI would be impossible to get a GPS lock. My phone GPS doesn't work there.

For any photographer out there hypothetically how would you approach this? I do like the shot clear cut from Williamsburg across the east river. If you line it up right, it seems stunning in my head plus it would be safe to fly along the water... I would love to hear how you would approach this....

Remember I will not be doing this with the P3 so save the criticism (maybe the syma X5c if it doesnt blow away like a fart in the wind lol)

Attachments

• Triptych1-2LR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6,147
I'd do it with the p3, I don't know the area of course but I'm sure you could find somewhere safe to get some good shots.

If I were to do it, I would do it from Long Island City probably from Hunter's Point park, and try to get as much of the Empire State building as I could. Plus the cross streets up there go completely across the island whereas from the Williamsburg bridge you'd have crooked cross streets.

If I were to do it, I would do it from Long Island City probably from Hunter's Point park, and try to get as much of the Empire State building as I could.

Attachments

• manhattanhenge.jpg
    manhattanhenge.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 543

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20