Low flying chinook

Reaction score
Bloody [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]! This afternoon approx 4.20 I decided to walk my dog on her usual trip.
I live near a golf course and I fly my p4 or mavic a very good distance away from built up areas including the golf course.
Anyway, could not believe my ears at 1st then suddenly yes, a very low flying chinook helicopter, in fact so low I could see the pilots.
I really wonder if I had been out with either of my craft in the territory at this time this could have been a very close or guaranteed hit with the chinook.
I fly this area very often which is the scariest thing!
The chinook I know is a big heli but I assure this copter was easy only 250 to 300 ft high.
Ps
I live easy 30 miles from a NFZ
I must add, it was an army chinook.
B

Last edited by a moderator:
No not at all.
My postal code in the Edinburgh area is EH45
No military bases near here.
B

This is why you always need to have your eyes and ears open when flying. You never know what can happen up there. I actually use the FlightRadar24 app so I can see all the planes in my area -- but you gotta watch out for helis-- they aren't on there.

Fortunately they are plenty loud so you usually have plenty of warning. And now you know they could be up there so you'll be extra cautious. :)

Military helicopters can fly as low as 50feet and aircraft 200 feet that is what I was told on my pfco course 3 weeks ago...bit of a bugger isn't it? Only one winner though lol.

Reactions: Squirrel!
You should try living within about 2 miles of a very active airbase, the aircraft go so low over the house you can make eye contact with the pilots, they are not that low every day but some days they do rattle the tiles on the roof.
Here we are allowed to fly Remote Piloted Aerial Systems as close as 1.5km from the airfield, if you have the appropriate certificate for piloting your aircraft.
brochure_drones_0.jpg

Reactions: JetLife
holy shiz, this happened to me as well, just with about 5 fighter jets, they flew so low and so fast with afterburners on i was deaf for quite some time after they passed, lucky i wasnt flying when that happened, luckily this is quite rare, only seen them about 5x now an most of the army planes flying over me at a daily basis are helicopters and small planes that are used to drop troops, probably for dropping trainee soldiers off the coast where i live

Thanks for all the feed back guys very much appreciated.
I also use flight radar and have done for a few years I like the app.
But yes unfortunately it does not show any military aircraft in the area or any warning of exercises being carried out which I suppose is understandable.
And going back to my opening conversation, I can assure you the chinook Just appeared with I would say 20 seconds warning from the rotor blades.
Not really much time to decide if I was flying p4 at say 200 feet which way to avoid!
Always expect the unexpected is now how I am going to feel when flying.
B

The chinook is a fair sized aircraft, I was surprised that I could get my car inside one... once in, it was a hang of a job to get out of it :)

Attachments

• _DSC0159.JPG
    _DSC0159.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 336
  • Cargo1.JPG
    Cargo1.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 304
  • _DSC0039.JPG
    _DSC0039.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 366
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
About a thousand years ago when I was an Army Chinook Instructor Pilot (A models!!!) I had to give one of my pilot buddies a ride back from Nashville to Alabama so he wouldn't have to drive all the way.

So, with his wife, his dog and his 1969 SS396 Chevelle inside, we left the airshow and proceeded home!

AD

i-K2kpmnH.jpg

Very cool pics!

I do occasionally start to worry once I hear a helicopter in the distance when flying at my house. I am no where near a base or airport, but they do pass over occasionally. Minute I hear the beat, I fly down to ground level immediately... I do NOT want to be that guy.

As a retired Air Traffic Controller, there was an incident years ago in the CHITCAGO area, where I worked. It involved 2 Lear Jets. Both on a virtual collision course, when the controller noticed this issued appropriate instructions to separate the aircraft. From the recording on the Tapes, the pilots were heard to say: "NICE TIE", "YOURS TOO"! That's how close they were. Just thought I'd share!

was flying next to a bar/restaurant by the water on the causeway near Mobile, lots of noise and music-at 350 feet or so, showing the band members how the
quadcopter flew...when all of a sudden, out of nowhere (it seemed) a Cessna comes by - just under me at about 150-200 feet...and
kept on going until we couldn't see it. I had to change my underwear.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Have the same problem here. We are on a flight path for military craft of all types going for training in the nearby Lake District. Not just chinooks but fast jets, and slow transports. I run Plane plotter which does plot military aircraft and very often these are not shown. Also we see more traffic when 'something' is coming up military wise. But good pilot skills and awareness of your surroundings will carry you through. Make sure you wave to the pilots next time.

This isn't going to be comforting to anyone ... the problem is low fly aircraft (military or civilian) can come up on you and your AC very quickly/silently no matter how careful you are. If they come up from behind you over the treetops or a ridge you may not hear them before it's too late unfortunately. I wouldn't depend on an app either. I use FlightRadar24 as well but I often hear and see planes and choppers around my home but they don't always show up on the app.
Scary stuff as I've flown in areas near a local Class E airport where we should be good to fly below 700' and have seen small planes outside of the normal flight pattern at around 150' off the deck.
Say a prayer, keep your eyes and ears open and hope for the best!

Yeah it's a worry. I was at the beach today more than 5 miles from an airport and there were 2 helicopters and a very low flying aircraft towing a banner. The helicopters were certainly above 400ft but I am not so sure about the other aircraft.

I live in souther Kentucky and this time of year we have a lot of low flying small planes and helicopters looking for marijuana grows!!!

I live in souther Kentucky and this time of year we have a lot of low flying small planes and helicopters looking for marijuana grows!!!
Now there is a business opportunity :D

I got a crop duster pilot who is a real jockey. He has a pair of turbine planes that haul butt. I understand the crop dusting part but when he returns to his base 20 miles away he Flys above the tree tops the entire way back. Definitely not at 500ft.
So during the period of crop dusting in my area I stay grounded, which is about 2 weeks. He Flys so fast you would never have time to respond.

I have same situation near a military base in Cyprus (East Mediterranean Sea) and I live in a valley that Brit, US & Israeli jets and helicopters like to exercise, along with local police choppers and fire fighting choppers..
I am thinking to contact the bases to see whether there are certain days to avoid or any contact who wouldn't mind sharing info before I fly. Has anyone tried this approach please?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12