Low Cost Inverter Generators

Reaction score
Hello fellow droners,
I'm looking to acquire a small inverter generator to use with a multi battery charger for the occasional times I'm in the field all day. I'm looking to recharge my P4P batteries three at a time. Has anybody had any experience with the following units:
**Sportsman Model 802085 (1000/800 watt)
**WEN Model 56125i (1250 watt)
**LiFan Model ESI860i (700/600watt)

Reactions: landmannnn
That's a heck of a lot of flying you plan on 'occasionally' ? How many batterys do you expect to charge in that session additional to the 3 you start of with ?

I have 3 batterys I take with me for flying and often means all day. I accept that most of my flying is fixed wing stuff and the Phantom is secondary.
But the system I use may be of interest ... its simple and needs only a $5 charger.

All 3 batterys are charged just before leaving for flight site.
I fly first battery and then put it on charge via the car adaptor charger.
It can charge up while I fly the other two batterys.
It does mean that I effectively get 4 batterys use in quick succession, but #5 and more will be slightly delayed waiting the charge. But that would be no different if what you have is a sequential DJI Multi Charger bank ...

You can charge a couple of packs safely, actually more but I play safe, and I run the engine for any more to prevent cars battery running down - it also provides 15V instead of batterys 12+.

I can see advantage of Genny in only really two scenarios :

1. If you cannot be near to car for power.
or
2. The Multi Charger is a parallel charging unit that charges all 3 batterys same time ... then you need mains power supply.

The RC world has debated Field Charging endlessly and never ceases to get raised again and again.

That's a heck of a lot of flying you plan on 'occasionally' ? How many batterys do you expect to charge in that session additional to the 3 you start of with ?

I have 3 batterys I take with me for flying and often means all day. I accept that most of my flying is fixed wing stuff and the Phantom is secondary.
But the system I use may be of interest ... its simple and needs only a $5 charger.

All 3 batterys are charged just before leaving for flight site.
I fly first battery and then put it on charge via the car adaptor charger.
It can charge up while I fly the other two batterys.
It does mean that I effectively get 4 batterys use in quick succession, but #5 and more will be slightly delayed waiting the charge. But that would be no different if what you have is a sequential DJI Multi Charger bank ...

You can charge a couple of packs safely, actually more but I play safe, and I run the engine for any more to prevent cars battery running down - it also provides 15V instead of batterys 12+.

I can see advantage of Genny in only really two scenarios :

1. If you cannot be near to car for power.
or
2. The Multi Charger is a parallel charging unit that charges all 3 batterys same time ... then you need mains power supply.

The RC world has debated Field Charging endlessly and never ceases to get raised again and again.
Hi, Thanks for replying. Thats a good system you have in place. Unfortunately, I'll be away from car and will take 5 batteries total to the field with a parallel quick charger. All in all I will probably charge each battery at least 3 times for flying. So it seems the generator is my only recourse.

We carried small portable generators on our commercial fishing vessels that did not have built-in generators. They basically could get us going in an emergency, and pre-LED, were useful to keep the lights on without running the main. These days, I use a 750 watt inverter (and multi charger) with my truck battery for flying, in the field. Seems a small deep cycle battery with an inverter should do you all day. Recharge it at night. Don't forget to borrow your grandson's Little Red Wagon to tow it all. Good luck.

Reactions: Lou101
For the OP. If I may ask, why go to the bother of buying an invertor generator combination?
As I understand it that would generate an AC voltage which is then converted to a suitable DC output. Since you presumably have an AC charger why not just get a small AC generator with a compatible output and use the AC charger?

An AC/DC Inverter Generator definitely comes in handy at times. The DC can be used immediately to jump start a vehicle battery, etc. The AC side, like you said, he can hook directly to his multi-charger, for his drones.

If you decide to get the battery/ inverter combo,
1.. get a smaller type deep cycle (multi-use) battery
2.. 600W or better inverter. With, 2 AC outlet + usb outlet.
My P4 multicharger @ 3 batts + 1 RC = 250W
some others, even more.

I have a 750 W, because I like to multi task it. Run my chargers, power tools or drone, and a floor fan at the same time. Or power tools, one at a time. Good luck.

The WEN model is the best, quietest, and priciest, of the 3 choices. $369.
The Sportsman @ $199 on sale at Home Depot, is tough to pass up.
The LiFan @ $ who cares, I passed it up.

Deep Cycle Batterys ...

Take care as not all Deep Cycle are actually Deep Cycle. Many are what are termed compromise batterys - able to start small engines and also be discharged to around 50% mark. But they are not true Deep Cycle.

A true Deep Cycle will accept discharge to about 40% regularly as long as charged up without delay. Unlike a Cranking battery which does not like discharges past about 60%.

Small batterys are IMHO a waste of money - because the actual output total is limited. Example : a 50 A/Hr battery can only be reliably called on to give 25 A/Hr.

I have had yachts and caravans for many years and this subject is one that has an important part to play ... you soon learn the errors !!

If you really do go battery setup - then Golf Cart batterys or truck batterys where they run hydraulic tailgates are best.

Solent life,
Thanks for clarifying what a true “deep cycle” battery is. Not a crank/deep cycle. Having owned 4 commercial vessels, they were our life blood. Multiple 8D Heavy suckers. 12V Golf cart batteries are a great suggestion. Drained and recharged daily. High power batteries are getting smaller, all the time.

Lou101,
So much for batteries and inverters. IF, you have to purchase all the components, not so much. But it’s silent. The generator idea is what you asked about and sounds the most practical. Gave my suggestions above. Still like the wagon idea. Have fun, fly safe. And good luck.

Yes a true Deep Cycle is designed for low current draw over sustained period ... such as powering domestic in a caravan / boat etc. It is not designed to provide high current. Demand high current as in starting an engine from a Deep Cycle battery - and you will buckle the plates literally within seconds. Another aspect is they do not appreciate too high a charge rate either !

A Cranking battery as you use to start your car - is designed to provide high current draw for very short period and will not appreciate being dragged down low !! It is also designed to be kept charged up from that alternator on your car !!

Reactions: Capt KO and Lou101
Solent life,
Thanks for clarifying what a true “deep cycle” battery is. Not a crank/deep cycle. Having owned 4 commercial vessels, they were our life blood. Multiple 8D Heavy suckers. 12V Golf cart batteries are a great suggestion. Drained and recharged daily. High power batteries are getting smaller, all the time.

Lou101,
So much for batteries and inverters. IF, you have to purchase all the components, not so much. But it’s silent. The generator idea is what you asked about and sounds the most practical. Gave my suggestions above. Still like the wagon idea. Have fun, fly safe. And good luck.
Capt.
Appreciate your input. Very sound advice. I think the Gen. Route is going to give me the most versatile charging for the price. I probably need to invest in some earplugs just in case .

Reactions: Capt KO
I have to say its great to have a place where you can gain and give info in one place. Since my original post, I've learned enough from you guys to help me find what I need to keep my bird flying out in the field. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Reactions: Capt KO
The Inverter based generator are better than the older AC mains direct versions. You also have the advantage usually of useful 12v output as well as the 120 / 240.

The main advantage of inverter generators is that they provide stable sine-wave 60Hz AC, independent of motor RPM. Conventional generators rely on controlling the motor RPM to maintain 60Hz.

However, since you will not be near a vehicle where you could use an inverter to power your charger, you are talking about lugging a heavy generator with you, besides all your other gear. You'll need a cart or wheelbarrow.

Lou101,
After researching prices on the Internet, I was able to find those generators less price that I originally found. Like the sportsman model is available for $149. It looks well-built but it is loud at 97 decibel, louder than a P4.
There are deals on the WEN gen too. Their 2000W is the most popular, and sometimes costs less than the 1250W, but heavier. Both WEN units are the quietest @, 51db, far less then your P4. No other generators are that quiet.

Lou101 !!!
Could Not pass up this deal. WEN 56200i 2000W for $288.92 Shipped!

I know it’s bigger than needed, And will arrive too late for this hurricane. But it’s $50 less than the 1250W and $150 less than the regular price at most sites.
The 2000W is 8lb heavier than the 1250W but it will get used at home and on the road. ??? 1250W sold out even from factory. Hurricane watch.

128193D5-09EB-4507-94C0-43F22BB967C6.png

Lou101 !!!
Could Not pass up this deal. WEN 56200i 2000W for $288.92 Shipped!

I know it’s bigger than needed, And will arrive too late for this hurricane. But it’s $50 less than the 1250W and $150 less than the regular price at most sites.
The 2000W is 8lb heavier than the 1250W but it will get used at home and on the road. ??? 1250W sold out even from factory. Hurricane watch.

View attachment 114121
Wow Capt! where did you score this deal?

Harbor Freight. Done. You're welcome. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl