Lots of Jello with my P4P

Reaction score
I recently noticed that I get a lot of jello effect when flying with high shutter speeds. Is that an indication that my gimble has excessive vibration that is normally blurred out at lower shutter speeds, or should I just be happy if it looks fine at shutter speeds of 2x frame rate with an ND filter? I've flown with higher shutter speeds on the P4 and the P3P with no jello issues...

***EDIT***
Turns out that my gimble motors are vibrating my camera when the aircraft pitches forward slightly (camera pitches up). I didn't notice this before because it only seems to happen after a few minutes of warming up. Initially when holding my P4P in my hands and rotating it around its axis, there was no vibration or audible buzz except when the gimble would get near its physical limits at first... but after a few minutes, I noticed the buzz and could feel the vibration even when at relatively low attitude angles (especially used for forward flight)... Sending it back.

I think it would be a great resource if there was a quality control checklist one could use to check some of the less-obvious defects to look for on a brand new drone.

Last edited:
I recently noticed that I get a lot of jello effect when flying with high shutter speeds. Is that an indication that my gimble has excessive vibration that is normally blurred out at lower shutter speeds, or should I just be happy if it looks fine at shutter speeds of 2x frame rate with an ND filter? I've flown with higher shutter speeds on the P4 and the P3P with no jello issues...

***EDIT***
Turns out that my gimble motors are vibrating my camera when the aircraft pitches forward slightly (camera pitches up). I didn't notice this before because it only seems to happen after a few minutes of warming up. Initially when holding my P4P in my hands and rotating it around its axis, there was no vibration or audible buzz except when the gimble would get near its physical limits at first... but after a few minutes, I noticed the buzz and could feel the vibration even when at relatively low attitude angles (especially used for forward flight)... Sending it back.

I think it would be a great resource if there was a quality control checklist one could use to check some of the less-obvious defects to look for on a brand new drone.
Any news? Keep us posted!

Actually recorded video while P4P was sitting on kitchen table (motors off) and sure enough after sitting for a few minutes the gimbal started buzzing and video started turning to jello.

So it's on its way to California.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Was hoping you sent it already back on 20th :) Let us know what they tell you... I have a similar issue and would prefer to be able to fix it without having to send it back again :/

Last edited:
Got it back three days ago. Today was my first day to really test fly it. No more jello! However, now my gimble rolls a lot during any acceleration so I get slanted horizon--a lot of slanted horizon. It levels itself out though after several seconds of constant velocity flight. However, any change in velocity or even yawing in a hover (no matter how slowly I yaw); rolls the gimble so that I get up to 10 degrees of horizon slant at times... :(

Got it back three days ago. Today was my first day to really test fly it. No more jello! However, now my gimble rolls a lot during any acceleration so I get slanted horizon--a lot of slanted horizon. It levels itself out though after several seconds of constant velocity flight. However, any change in velocity or even yawing in a hover (no matter how slowly I yaw); rolls the gimble so that I get up to 10 degrees of horizon slant at times... :(
Sorry to hear that, my old P4P used to do that more than my current one and it was a serious problem...

Did they repair it and send back the same bird or did they replace it altogether?

They repaired it. Same bird this time. Not sure if it's a different gimble though. They didn't give me any details as to what exactly they fixed or replaced--actually no mention of anything--just that "it" was fixed.

Hate to send it back again. Have an important project next month that my P4P would be better suited for than my P3P. Wish DJI would include testing for gimble tilt when they test fly the birds they repair.

Reactions: Zzz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor